Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread: Going to Vegas!

  1. #11
    goodlun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    10,781
    Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

  2. #12
    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    11,270
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vegas pretty much sucks a bag of dicks. I hate that fucking city. The best thing to do is get the **** away from Vegas. You can go on an ATV trip out in the desert. That would be fun. Hoover Dam if you haven't been there. **** like that

    Walking around the strip is fun if the weather is nice. Oh, if you're there during any UFC fights, the sports book at the MGM Grand is one of the few places in Vegas I enjoy hanging out. You can grab some food and drinks, sit there and watch the fights and gamble on your favorites.

  3. #13
    DdlR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,935
    Style
    Bartitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been on faculty at the last couple of CombatCons and was going to be there again this year, but it clashes with a professional gig.

    Definitely walk the Strip if you haven't before - I liken it to walking through a pinball machine - and drink lots of fluids. The dry heat is very deceptive.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    844
    Style
    Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    them flicker people....

  5. #15
    TheMightyMcClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    3,506
    Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    I've been on faculty at the last couple of CombatCons and was going to be there again this year, but it clashes with a professional gig.

    Definitely walk the Strip if you haven't before - I liken it to walking through a pinball machine - and drink lots of fluids. The dry heat is very deceptive.
    I was wondering if you were going to be there again this year. Hopefully it'll pay off well enough that I can make this a regular pilgrimage.

    I'm not excited for the weather. It's supposed to be over a 100 during the day, every day.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

  6. #16
    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    11,270
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    I'm not excited for the weather. It's supposed to be over a 100 during the day, every day.
    January is the time to go to Vegas.

  7. #17
    TheMightyMcClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    3,506
    Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, so I'm in Vegas and I finally have wi-fi.
    First off, if I could sum up Las Vegas in one word, that word would be "artifice." Or, if I was feeling nasty, "bullshit."
    The fact that this waterless hellhole has built a thriving economy around convincing people to travel here from more hospitable climes around the earth to have a good time is, to be sure, insane. As one person put it, it's essentially a cruise ship stranded in the desert.
    The combination of dry Vegas air and ubiquitous cigarette smoke has essentially taken a chainsaw to my respiratory system, leaving me with grand-pappy of a sinus infection. I am told that this is a normal.
    I ended up seeing the Electric Six on Wednesday, who just so happened to be playing at a club on Freamont street. That was fucking awesome.
    I ended up making friends with an honest-to-god religious ascetic, who in turn ended up helping me run my table at Combatcon. One of the nicest human beings I ever met, and he seriously seemed like something straight out of bronze age India.
    Combatcon itself was entertaining but fiscally disastrous. For the first time in four years, I'm actually in the red on a business venture. Fortunately, the rest of my shows have been great of late, so one bad one isn't going to kill me. I was unaware of how absurdly teensy tiny an event Combatcon was; high end five hundred people, and half of them were staff, vendors, guests, or otherwise there in some official capacity. There simply wasn't a big enough pool of customers to make back my travel expenses, and I as I understand it, pretty much all the other merchants had the same experience. Not that any of you are wandering merchants, but if you become one, stay away from Combatcon.
    The convention WAS, however, quite good on the MA front. I took classes on Savate, Russian Folk Boxing (ie, how to throw those weird loopy punches Emelienenko throws), and the motherfucking Macauhuitl, aka the Aztec Obsidian Chainsaw. I even ended teaching a last minute grappling class on Friday. So yeah, that **** was tight.
    I have yet to visit any of the big MMA gyms around here, but plan to do so in my remaining four days in this lifeless wasteland.
    Tl;Dr: Vegas is nuts, and seriously mammalian life should not even be here.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    844
    Style
    Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At least in the art world, sometimes Cons are more beneficial from networking and getting your name out there, than actually pulling income.

  9. #19
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Okay, so I'm in Vegas and I finally have wi-fi.
    First off, if I could sum up Las Vegas in one word, that word would be "artifice." Or, if I was feeling nasty, "bullshit."
    The fact that this waterless hellhole has built a thriving economy around convincing people to travel here from more hospitable climes around the earth to have a good time is, to be sure, insane. As one person put it, it's essentially a cruise ship stranded in the desert.
    The combination of dry Vegas air and ubiquitous cigarette smoke has essentially taken a chainsaw to my respiratory system, leaving me with grand-pappy of a sinus infection. I am told that this is a normal.
    I ended up seeing the Electric Six on Wednesday, who just so happened to be playing at a club on Freamont street. That was fucking awesome.
    I ended up making friends with an honest-to-god religious ascetic, who in turn ended up helping me run my table at Combatcon. One of the nicest human beings I ever met, and he seriously seemed like something straight out of bronze age India.
    Combatcon itself was entertaining but fiscally disastrous. For the first time in four years, I'm actually in the red on a business venture. Fortunately, the rest of my shows have been great of late, so one bad one isn't going to kill me. I was unaware of how absurdly teensy tiny an event Combatcon was; high end five hundred people, and half of them were staff, vendors, guests, or otherwise there in some official capacity. There simply wasn't a big enough pool of customers to make back my travel expenses, and I as I understand it, pretty much all the other merchants had the same experience. Not that any of you are wandering merchants, but if you become one, stay away from Combatcon.
    The convention WAS, however, quite good on the MA front. I took classes on Savate, Russian Folk Boxing (ie, how to throw those weird loopy punches Emelienenko throws), and the motherfucking Macauhuitl, aka the Aztec Obsidian Chainsaw. I even ended teaching a last minute grappling class on Friday. So yeah, that **** was tight.
    I have yet to visit any of the big MMA gyms around here, but plan to do so in my remaining four days in this lifeless wasteland.
    Tl;Dr: Vegas is nuts, and seriously mammalian life should not even be here.
    Welcome to the "I hate Vegas" club.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  10. #20
    TheMightyMcClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    3,506
    Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, in the airport, about to head out.
    Highlights:
    -Training at Xtreme Couture. That place is hella baller, and it's a pretty good feeling to be training with folks who are really at the high end of the MMA world.
    -Combatcon was pretty fun, aside from being absurdly tiny. Savate, Russian folk boxing, the Aztec war club.... LEARNING YO.
    -Randomly seeing the Electric Six on Fremont. The show took forever to get going, but those guys are amazing live.
    -Randomly seeing two old friends from Seattle. One of whom was working a different convention, one of whom just got back from a year in Europe. Me and the former are now making plans to go backpack around China this October.
    -Meeting a bunch of other seriously awesome people.

    Lowlights:

    -The fucking weather. And the smoke. And the pollution. Vegas conspires to gouge my lungs out from within, while ruining my snow white tan with it's solar death rays.
    -Seeing Meatloaf. I got free tickets to see his Vegas show, and, good god, there is nothing so tragic as watching an over the hill musician butcher his own songs. Except for his spoken word pieces, which made the open mike poetry night I caught the night before look like Maya fucking Angelou. He should rename that act Meatloaf: The Ravages of Time.
    -Goddamn this city is unhealthy, in every way.
    Midlights:
    The sheer fakeness of Las Vegas makes me unsure of whether to laud it a triumph of human ingenuity or condemn it as a sign of man's hubris. I guess a bit of both?
    Sadly, while I did end up spending more money than I made on this trip, I was unable to gamble away my life savings. Similarly, despite the guys on street corners handing out business cards for call girls, I did not catch any STD's.
    Sigh. I guess I'll have to come back some time. And in the damn winter next time around.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in