Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Bullshido's Greatest Ninja staff
    Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is no Jujutsu native to Okinawa. Mostly likely is the "grappling" aspects of Okinawan Karate renamed because Jujutsu sells better than Karate in the day of MMA.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    There is no Jujutsu native to Okinawa. Mostly likely is the "grappling" aspects of Okinawan Karate renamed because Jujutsu sells better than Karate in the day of MMA.
    Supposedly it's partly based on Shorin-ryu karate.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NightsWatch View Post
    So aside from "combat ki," it's mostly judo with a little bit of karate?
    The juko kai vids I've seen don't really resemble judo much at all.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Southbend Tribune Article.

http://articles.southbendtribune.com...-hamilton-soka

Yeah, right...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After looking this up, I now remember all the stuff Don Cunningham went through with Juko-Kai. That was an epic mess.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6998
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja staff
    Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Google "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu" near your town. Go and try a free class and forget the sport vs street bullshit.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    Google "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu" near your town. Go and try a free class and forget the sport vs street bullshit.
    Thanks for the tip. Are the Marcello Monteiro schools legit?

Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who wants somebody who merely claims to teach MA to law enforcement? Anybody can claim that and get away with it...there's no regulatory body watching out for that.

Learn MA WITH law enforcement!

A LEF officer teaches my classes, and also offers seminars to LEF agencies, and a lot of my classmates are actually LEF officers, which enables my favorite MA joke nowadays:

Other: "Oh you look like you're in good shape, what do you do for that"?

Me: "I resist cops".

Trust me when I say, LEF are some of the best folks to have as training instructors/partners. They have the right level of commitment.

Style
    Goju, mma, HEMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree totally with Plasma's assessment. Also the stand-up grappling in the katas were perhaps not meant so much against karate-like attacks (for that there's plenty of blocking and striking, no?) but against armored &/or weapon weilding assailants. There are some counters versus grappling moves as well (eg. wrist grabs(but the counter often involves strikes), bear hugs, full neilsons etc.). Mind you since there are no/very few actual manuals dipicting the bunkai maybe even what are thought of as grappling related moves actually aren't.

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no experience in martial arts. [...] I've been informed that there are a lot of seriously lousy martial arts schools in the US, [...] The instructor's a guy named Rick Hamilton. He was featured in a South Bend Tribune article [...] the article contains a lot of posturing [...] Hamilton was also on More Than Human demonstrating something called "Combat Ki." As near as I can tell, this is even more posturing. With that said, it seems Hamilton does have a record of teaching martial arts to law enforcement. Of course, cops aren't known for being the best fighters on the planet [...] Hamilton's being a good self-promoter doesn't mean he can't be a good martial arts instructor.
    I want to see more new members like this guy this coming summer.

The blocking was similar to the "360 defense" from Discovery Channel's Human Weapon.

As I have no prior experience in martial arts, I have no real knowledge of whether or not blocking and wristlocks are considered effective techniques or not.
    Oh Christ, I'm no striker but even I remember that terrible defense:

That blocking method is just begging for a straight jab cross to the face. 360 degrees of coverage is only useful if you're trying to defend yourself in two dimensions; movement in reality is conducted in three dimensions and would require (help me out here mathematicians) 41,253 square degrees of defense. Which can be done:

Blocking is an extremely effective technique, but skip on this Okinawan Jujitsu garbage because they clearly know nothing about it or any other facet of fighting.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last