Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/11/2014 10:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I disagree, I gave my kids choices at that age. It's dinner, not deciding whether to end world starvation or eliminating cancer.
    Oh I agree with giving children choices even small ones. Just a good bit of advice I heard a long time ago. Only give your children choices with outcomes you want to happen. Obviously the father in this case didn't want his child to pick the no dinner at all option. We all make this mistake from time to time and the best thing to do is suck it up and let them live with that choice.

I honestly don't know if as a parent I would make a 4 year old go to bed hungry, I don't expect a 4 year old to make good decisions. I believe several hours of hunger would probably be sufficient if even possible to drive home the point. Certainly wouldn't get McDonalds for a damn long time though.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/12/2014 1:32am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well that's you. I would and did after a kid tantrum at that age. I wouldn't offer up a feast or famine scenario, but if they have eaten correctly all day 8 hours will not kill or hurt them.

Posted On:
    6/12/2014 1:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    but if they have eaten correctly all day 8 hours will not kill or hurt them.
    No doubt, like I said I simply don't know, 4 seems like a long time ago and every kid is different. I certainly don't see anything wrong with it. I suppose the internal would be question is the consequence too far removed from the action that caused it by the next morning.
    I would have 0 issue putting my 8 year old to bet without food.

This is an assumption but I would think this would only come up if the mother made a big enough deal out of it to bring it up in court. Probably using it as a weapon against the guy for what ever reason.

The mother probably fed the kid a feast that night.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2014 7:29am

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On a McDonalds related note, we where in there 2 weeks ago (unusual circumstance and my son eats healthy 99% of the time so I am not adverse if we are out and we needed to be out for most of the day that day) and my son (4 years old) was kicking my wife under the table (not deliberate, you know 4 years old legs swinging everywhere kinda thing) now my wife is normally very stable but we where on the way to a checkup for her and she was pretty stressed.

After asking him twice to watch his legs, on the 3rd time she cuffed his foot away. Guy next to us started shouting at her for child abuse (yep, he used those exact words), I called him on it, told him it was no way a hit and it was no concern of his anyway, he got his phone out claiming he would video this abuse (again, used that word). I got up and took my wife and son out stating we didn't deal with crazy!

seriously wound us all up for a good hour or so!

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/12/2014 9:13am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It has gotten to the point you can't discipline kids. Nowadays, kids are always right and adults, especially those without kids, can parent better than you.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/12/2014 10:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    So his record is going to be expunged after he completes his probation anyway. So this is essentially just the courts saying, "Don't do this again."
    That's called a "withheld judgement" in Idaho.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    6/12/2014 10:25am

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharabus View Post
    On a McDonalds related note, we where in there 2 weeks ago (unusual circumstance and my son eats healthy 99% of the time so I am not adverse if we are out and we needed to be out for most of the day that day) and my son (4 years old) was kicking my wife under the table (not deliberate, you know 4 years old legs swinging everywhere kinda thing) now my wife is normally very stable but we where on the way to a checkup for her and she was pretty stressed.

After asking him twice to watch his legs, on the 3rd time she cuffed his foot away. Guy next to us started shouting at her for child abuse (yep, he used those exact words), I called him on it, told him it was no way a hit and it was no concern of his anyway, he got his phone out claiming he would video this abuse (again, used that word). I got up and took my wife and son out stating we didn't deal with crazy!

seriously wound us all up for a good hour or so!
    So, why didn't you whip out your twin karambits and slice him to shreds ?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2014 10:37am

Style: Kali

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    So, why didn't you whip out your twin karambits and slice him to shreds ?
    it was tempting, got to say. what pissed me off after I calmed down was his use of child abuse, there are kids in this world who are physically abused (I have a family member adopted into our family as a very young child from a situation he was beaten in) and this kind of crap just makes a mockery of their situation.

Posted On:
    6/12/2014 11:02am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharabus View Post
    it was tempting, got to say. what pissed me off after I calmed down was his use of child abuse, there are kids in this world who are physically abused (I have a family member adopted into our family as a very young child from a situation he was beaten in) and this kind of crap just makes a mockery of their situation.
    I agree. The guy may have been a victim of abuse himself so over-reacted.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123