Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/01/2014 3:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This appears to be the most complete telling of the story the guy plead no contest.
    http://thegardenisland.com/news/loca...a4bcf887a.html

The offense was basically a form of punishment that is no longer considered acceptable by the community.
    It sounds largely like bullshit to me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2014 9:49am

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was going to say that I walked to and from school every day, but that was as a middle/high schooler on mostly residential streets. An eight-year-old walking along the highway is a different matter, but I'm still not sure it's criminal.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2014 9:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is the story from the point of view of the father:
    http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...mile_home.html

The father says that the spot he dropped the kid of was safe.
    A neighbor found the kid and drove it back to school, which is why the case got attention.

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/20140529_Kauai_man_gets_probation_for_making_son_w alk_1_mile_home.html
    When De Mond got home, he said he turned around and within five minutes was back at the location where he dropped him off.

"I was hollering his name, and he's nowhere to be found," he said.

De Mond called his wife at work.

"I went back and forth three times along the road," he said. "At this point, I'm pretty frantic."

He called police dispatch, and learned police had his son at the school.

De Mond and his wife arrived at the school, not knowing how or why his son got there.

"I wanted to see my son to see if everything's OK and talk to my son," he said.

Instead, his wife signaled to him that he was going to be arrested.

He learned that his neighbor found the boy, but rather than bring him home, took him to school and called police.

"It's been pretty hard on the kids," De Mond said. "I just wanted to get it over with, so I pleaded no contest" to second-degree child endangerment.

He was sentenced to probation, a $200 fine and parenting classes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2014 9:53am

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    This appears to be the most complete telling of the story the guy plead no contest.
    http://thegardenisland.com/news/loca...a4bcf887a.html

It sounds largely like bullshit to me.
    So his record is going to be expunged after he completes his probation anyway. So this is essentially just the courts saying, "Don't do this again."

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/01/2014 11:10am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The courts should probably shut the **** up. How about a continuance without a finding? How about a dismissal with a lecture?
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Posted On:
    6/01/2014 11:34am

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for extra info. Based on the info so far, the judgement of the neighbor, school, police, and judge may need some review and oversight. The no contest seems like a reasonable path forward for the dad. Most of these stories seem to start out with shocking headlines and then much less shocking story. But so far this does not seem like reasonable behavior by the authorities (and society).

Posted On:
    6/01/2014 2:11pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can anyone figure out what highway this is I really want to see it on google maps.
    I am really curious as to how dangerous this really was.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/01/2014 2:27pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly, I don't care. Her use of abject fear renders her entire argument stupid. A child is more likely to be kidnapped and molested by a KNOWN person than a stranger. In other words, maybe it was safer for the dad to make him walk, statistics say he would have molested him as punishment.

Posted On:
    6/11/2014 8:25pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What the **** is with this ****!?

Dad Branded Unfit Parent For Refusing To Take Son To McDonald's, Lawsuit Says
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4241370.html
    NEW YORK -- NEW YORK (AP) — Saying no to a toddler's demands for a McDonald's meal got a father branded an inept parent, he says in a lawsuit claiming a psychologist urged a judge to curtail his parental visits over the dinner debacle.

David E. Schorr says psychologist Marilyn Schiller pronounced him incapable of caring for his nearly 5-year-old son after he offered a choice — dinner anywhere but McDonald's, or no dinner at all — and let the boy choose the latter. He then took his irate son home to the boy's mother's house early from their Oct 30 dinner date, according to a defamation suit Schorr filed Tuesday.

Schiller didn't immediately return a call Friday.

Schorr, an attorney and employee-benefits consultant, is in the midst of a contentious divorce with estranged wife Bari Yunis Schorr. Schiller was court-assigned to evaluate the couple and their child, according to the lawsuit.

Schiller's reports and other filings in the divorce case aren't public; court records indicate only that there have been a flurry of filings over two years. Bari Schorr's lawyer, Louis I. Newman, declined to comment.

While the case plays out, David Schorr has alternate weekends and dinner every Tuesday with his son, according to the defamation suit.

"Normally not a very strict father who rarely refuses his child McDonald's," Schorr put his foot down Oct. 30 "because his son had been eating too much junk food," the suit said. Schorr himself didn't immediately return a call Friday.

He quickly regretted his stance when his son threw a tantrum, but he felt that giving in would reward bad behavior, so he offered the elsewhere-or-nowhere "final offer," as his court papers put it.

"The child, stubborn as a mule, chose the 'no dinner' option," the suit says. And the father promptly carted the boy back to Bari Schorr's building, still trying to entice the child into changing his mind as they waited in the lobby for her to get home from work, according to the suit.

Schiller told a judge the fast food flap "raises concerns about the viability" of the father's weekend visits with his son and asked a judge to eliminate or limit them, his lawsuit says.
    The only place I see that he went wrong is he was a ***** about it. He gave the child a choice let the child learn from it (although giving a 4 year old a choice isn't very smart to begin with). Going hungry for a few hours isn't going to do any god damn harm.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/11/2014 8:57pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ....and people wonder why kids are all about "me me me me me" in the 21st century. Holy ****, I was sent to bed with out supper can I file against my parents?

Tell you what, I would have been backhanded for throwing a temper tantrum in my parent's house, let alone bitching about some motherfucking McDonald's.

I disagree, I gave my kids choices at that age. It's dinner, not deciding whether to end world starvation or eliminating cancer.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast