Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/28/2014 9:20pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Good Schools in Los Angeles?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I figure it can't hurt. I'm moving to Los Angeles in a few weeks, and I'm looking to continue training in CMA. Only problem is I can't find a school that looks "alive", at least the way I understand the term. I tried searching on these forums but nothing particularly useful came up.

I'm not particularly attached to any single style, as long as it's rooted in traditional CMA and it works. I should mention that I'm not too keen on grappling (I understand the importance of it, just don't enjoy it that much), so a school that mostly focuses on grappling would be a bad fit.

Los Angeles is pretty big, so I'll narrow it down to West LA. Hopefully that's not too limiting; I've read on this forum that there are supposedly really good schools around here.

Posted On:
    6/02/2014 12:19pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It might be a little bit of a drive but Jason Tsou is in Monterey Park. That is East of Downtown LA.

Sorry don't know anything on the west side.

Posted On:
    6/03/2014 3:42pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by phenemol View Post
    It might be a little bit of a drive but Jason Tsou is in Monterey Park. That is East of Downtown LA.

Sorry don't know anything on the west side.
    According to his website, they only do sparring training once every other week for 2 hours. Is that really enough? I ask because I have no knowledge of these things, but I imagined that to learn how to actually fight or defend myself I'd have to practice fighting more than 2 hours every other week.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/03/2014 3:49pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Too bad you don't live a bit north of LA. West LA is very expansive too. If I come up with a few ideas I will let you know.

Posted On:
    6/03/2014 6:05pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazral View Post
    According to his website, they only do sparring training once every other week for 2 hours. Is that really enough? I ask because I have no knowledge of these things, but I imagined that to learn how to actually fight or defend myself I'd have to practice fighting more than 2 hours every other week.
    Hey Kazrel

I think a lot of the info from the website is from when he had a commercial space. I never trained with him there so I can't speak to that info.

Right now we only meet once a week on Saturdays from around 1030 to 2 in the park and class is lot more loosely structured. Basically we just break off into different groups depending on what style we are learning and from there we will warm up and then you can do what you want. Work forms, push hands, wrestle, drill moves, fence, spar etc. Sifu Tsou will come by and help you with whatever you are working on.

Some of us meet early to spar extra too or find other sparring partners during the week. Especially when we are getting closer to competition time. Many of the students also go to Cal State Long Beach where Sifu Tsou also teaches and they meet up and train there.

As for learning to fight I can say that some of the senior students are really good and I have definitely gotten better in the close to 2 years I have been there, though I wasn't coming from much haha. I should say it takes a lot of your own initiative though. Since we only meet once a week and its just the park you have to do a lot of work on your own time to get better.

If you are looking for something pretty structured it might not be the right place for you. Having said that Sifu Tsou and all the other students have been great to train with and I have learned quite a lot in this kind of training environment.

Anyway best of luck finding a school I am sure many other people here will have great suggestions.

Posted On:
    6/05/2014 12:22am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Too bad you don't live a bit north of LA. West LA is very expansive too. If I come up with a few ideas I will let you know.
    Thanks. Honestly I'm getting fed up with how much bullshit surrounds CMA schools, and I might just abandon it for now and take up Judo or some form of MMA. You'd think it would be easier to find a martial arts school that actually teaches a damn thing about fighting.