228305 Bullies, 4190 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/02/2014 5:03am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!

PrideFC - Lost Days of MMA Magic

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pride_Fighting_intro[1].jpg 
Views:	18620 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	16391

Imagine if you will:

A dark arena, filled to the rafters with 60,000 die-hard MMA fans. And not just any fans, but the kind that cheer for both KOs and intricate guard passes alike.

An excited hush falls over this crowd, then seemingly out of nowhere, a spotlight illuminates a circle in which a man in a tuxedo is seated at a piano. He begins to play, a slow, delicate piece that reveals itself to be a hymn as a soulful singer joins in accompaniment. The lights dim. A few seconds later, the stage brightens and an entire choir picks up the hymn, in front of a backdrop of fight footage.

The lights dim again, and when they pick back up, the man who was sitting at the piano, is now in a loin cloth, beating the hell out of a giant drum, to the beat of the promotion's intro music as each of the fighters on the card is introduced to the audience.

The pianist, the drummer: Dana White.

Now I know what you're thinking: no goddamn way would that ever happen. Well in PrideFC, it did.

From 1997 to 2006, back when people who wore TapouT shirts were likely to actually train in MMA or BJJ, the Japan-based PrideFC was the only real competition to the Ultimate Fighting Championship. And many of us considered it no competition at all. There were deliberate mismatches, such as Fedor vs. Zuluzinho, and the judging was, by American standards, weird. Kicks to the head of a downed opponent were legal. Drug testing was... questionable. And one guy even fought in a luchador mask.

But the effect of this kind of spectacular anarchy worked; it brought a sense of awe and magic to the sport, at a time when the UFC was trying to make the presentation of MMA in the United States, more like Boxing.

So for those of you who are fairly new to the sport, we're going to take you down memory lane. And for those of you who remember Pride fondly, we're going to wistfully weep manly tears for an fight promotion, the like of which, hasn't been seen since the days of the Roman gladiators.

Posted On:
    9/02/2014 5:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    9/02/2014 5:12am

Hell yeah! Hell no!

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    9/02/2014 8:48am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    at least i have all of them on my media center for watching... so sad i never got to an event in person :(
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    9/02/2014 10:02am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pride was so motherfucking awesome. I miss it.

For those who don't know, Dos Caras Jr. is now a WWE star - Alberto Del Rio.

Let's see, some of my favorite Pride memories:

*Rampage doing commentary at an event after he had already fought. He fought against some Japanese guy in some TIGHT red Daisy Dukes. He was talking about his victory and he said when he saw those tight ass red shorts he knew there was no way he was going to lose because his boys would **** with him forever if he lost to somebody wearing shorts like that. lol.

*Fedor's many ring walks with his emotionless Terminator face.

*THE SLAM - Fedor vs. Randleman. Holy ****.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUR4cr5M_gc

*Yellow cards.

*Soccer kicks.

*Bas Rutten.

*The crowd.

*The screaming Pride Lady

*Aleksander Emelianenko vs. James Thompson. Don't blink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82PWQqiEB6g

*Right leg - hospital. Left leg - cemetary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w6NI90MeRk

Posted On:
    9/02/2014 12:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, so considering that i have the complete collection at hand, and i wanted to show a full pride event to someone who had never seen one, in your opinion, which one should i show?

if i was going to show individual fights only, which should i pull out to show why pride was so amazing?

i'm not sure about whole events... for individual fights, i recently watched all 90 minutes of royce/sakuraba, i would echo the fedor/randelman call, and add sakuraba/newton as the first super technical grappling match in MMA rules
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    9/02/2014 2:06pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    OK, so considering that i have the complete collection at hand, and i wanted to show a full pride event to someone who had never seen one, in your opinion, which one should i show?

if i was going to show individual fights only, which should i pull out to show why pride was so amazing?

i'm not sure about whole events... for individual fights, i recently watched all 90 minutes of royce/sakuraba, i would echo the fedor/randelman call, and add sakuraba/newton as the first super technical grappling match in MMA rules

Wanderlei vs. Rampage for sure. I can't remember if it was their first fight or second, but the one where Wanderlei fucking murder raped Rampage with knees and Rampage ended up laying on the announcer's table with blood gushing out like a geyser. Goddamn, that was probably the most vicious beating I've ever seen in MMA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2014 2:11pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My coach puts on fights every once in a while (he's done 3 over the past 4 years now) that uses modified Pride rules and Pride style judging. It's basically Pride plus elbows, complete with the 10 minute first round. Fun stuff (as a spectator anyway...) I'm fairly certain he's the only one doing Pride rules in the US, but, that's the benefit of us not having an athletic commission in AK.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2014 11:52am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which one was it where they changed the rules to allow soccer kicks and stomps? It was also the first time Wandy met Sakuraba. The new rules didn't favour Sak at all...

Also special mention for the fight announcer - that woman just made the show when she called out the fighters names.

Posted On:
    9/03/2014 3:39pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    ...the one where Wanderlei fucking murder raped Rampage with knees and Rampage ended up laying on the announcer's table with blood gushing out like a geyser. Goddamn, that was probably the most vicious beating I've ever seen in MMA.
    yeah i can't remember if that was the 1st or the rematch (for some reason i think it was the rematch) but when i saw that i was pretty sure we had just seen the first MMA fatality, the way he was laying on the ropes with blood pouring out of his face... that was brutal.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast