Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2014 11:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Expanding Ammo in the Czech Republic and other EU Nations

Generally speaking, EU countries possess restrictive gun laws in comparison with US and even Canadian legislation. The Czech Republic however bucks the trend almost completely; under Czech law, citizens and residents from EU or NATO nations are free to apply for any firearms licenses (concealed carry, even). And yet somehow, usage of hollow-point ammunition is widely forbidden even in CZ:

http://www.weaponslaw.org/weapons/expanding-bullets

According to the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), state practice establishes as a norm of customary international humanitarian law (IHL) applicable in both international and non-international armed conflicts that the use of bullets which expand or flatten easily in the human body is prohibited.

All of the information that authorities seem to have on the subject and all of the testing I've seen demonstrated suggests that this is a decidedly backwards idea; hollow-points allow: handguns to end threats quicker, wounded a better chance at recovery, reduced overpenetration, reduced ricocheting, and some frangibles might even not punch through walls. On this I'm sure there's no controversy, but at least as far as Czechs are concerned, the only options are FMJ and soft nosed rounds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_pol...n_restrictions).

What would you carry under the circumstances? Custom flat heads that deform easier? Shot shells? Does anyone think this could change?

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    5/27/2014 9:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you shoot a revolver, or can get semi auto to shoot them (feed reliably), softer lead semi-wadcutters might be an option.Something with a meplat other than a round nose would be better in any case.

Other than that, work to get the laws changed.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2014 4:36am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the input. Gun laws are so weird.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    5/28/2014 9:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I reread...pure lead on top of a flatnose softpoint would work better than a FMJ roundnose. I have some PMC rounds for my .357 Magnum (158 grain) that have a wide meplat topped with soft(er) lead over a jacketed bullet. They still would overpenetrate in a house or crowd, more than likely though, from my experience shooting animals. In a semi-auto, you can get flat nosed FMJ practice rounds,like the ones I use in my .40 Glock. Don't know if soft point type are available.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2014 11:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I reread...pure lead on top of a flatnose softpoint would work better than a FMJ roundnose. I have some PMC rounds for my .357 Magnum (158 grain) that have a wide meplat topped with soft(er) lead over a jacketed bullet. They still would overpenetrate in a house or crowd, more than likely though, from my experience shooting animals. In a semi-auto, you can get flat nosed FMJ practice rounds,like the ones I use in my .40 Glock. Don't know if soft point type are available.
    That's great information, thank you. I've also contacted a Czech ammunition producer on the topic; if they give a response, I'll post it here.