Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2014 1:59pm

Style: Krav Maga, Sambo, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Leg Locks for MMA

Hey guys, since there's a pretty big community of bjj, wrestling and sambo enthusiast here I'll like to hear from your experience and recommendations.

Leg locks have been pretty maligned in MMA but personally I find them very interesting if done properly.

I read plenty of recommendations from good trainers, the name Erik Paulson came up a lot so I checked his videos and was left VERY impressed.

Also the biggest recommendation was taking good care of yourself and your partner when practicing at all times to avoid accidental injuries.

Also, from what I've seen in MMA fights, Leg locks are mostly finished with Achilles heel locks or ankle locks.

The main difference I noticed was the entry or the shooting to the leg depending on the situation and then it goes down pretty quickly to a submission (as I imagine it has to to avoid a kick in the face).
    I've also read that in some BJJ circles they're not well seen or taboo and the same happens in MMA due to the risk of ACL injury.

I'm not an expert and English is not my first language so I apologize if the terms seem a little vague.

What do you think about them? Do you recommend them?

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    5/25/2014 4:20am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A large percentage of my competition wins are by 1 sort of leg lock or another. Between Omega and SamboSteve who have extensive Leg Lock backgrounds from Sambo and The Villian who runs the Heel Hook Page on Facebook. You'll find a very pro leg lock bias on Bullshido.

Here is The Villian winning a Black Belt match by Heel Hook.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=123049

Posted On:
    5/25/2014 4:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You do tend to jump off a guy to do them loosing position.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    5/25/2014 5:16am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    You do tend to jump off a guy to do them loosing position.

The same can be said of almost any submission.

Posted On:
    5/25/2014 6:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    The same can be said of almost any submission.
    Key locks and some straight arm bars you don't.(arm crush?)Darce chokes you can be pretty much stay on top. Rear naked you can do from flattening out if you can turn them on to their front. Kimoras can be done from the top.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2014 12:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Key locks and some straight arm bars you don't.(arm crush?)Darce chokes you can be pretty much stay on top. Rear naked you can do from flattening out if you can turn them on to their front. Kimoras can be done from the top.
    Thanks for the answers guys. Any tips when it comes to the takedown to get to the leglock? Also any recommendations to avoid injuries in both participants would be VERY welcome.

Posted On:
    5/25/2014 5:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrus_Carter View Post
    Thanks for the answers guys. Any tips when it comes to the takedown to get to the leglock? Also any recommendations to avoid injuries in both participants would be VERY welcome.
    My best bit of advice, is get the fundamentals down before worrying about leg locks. Leg locks are not some magical panacea for winning fights. They are a great tool in the tool box and can be used pretty effectively against people who don't train for them but you still need to be able to do all the basics fairly well.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2014 7:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No worries about that goodlun, I'm pretty proficient on all the upper body stuff but I don't wish to make leg locks a fix it all. I'm just interested in adding and perfecting some new additions to the arsenal to make it more complete.

Posted On:
    5/25/2014 11:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrus_Carter View Post
    No worries about that goodlun, I'm pretty proficient on all the upper body stuff but I don't wish to make leg locks a fix it all. I'm just interested in adding and perfecting some new additions to the arsenal to make it more complete.
    Now that has been squared away now to answer your question.

Generally speaking with a take down I am looking to come down on the other side of the guard. I tend to not hunt for leg locks if I am already past the guard. Others do and some do it rather well. Here is an example of a take down that does work well to transition into a leg lock but as you will see it can be dangerous to train.

Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2014 12:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had saw that one, Kesting is a hell of a teacher, his videos are great.
    I really liked this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc0z-rCZP5g and I've used some of those leglocks with great sucess. That one you showed is actually quite interesting but too risky for my taste.

I concur with your assessment of not hunting actively for the leglock after passing the guard.
    I tend to go with what feels more comfortable after I'm through.

I know I'll never be another bodycomb, but I really like what this guy does, although he definitely has knack for it and a lot more time on the mat than I do.

I see a lot of stuff I could actually use like he did in his mma fights with great success.

In the end, I see the leglock as a great wild card, to pull when you want to try something different, well backed by the irreplaceable chokes and armbars.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJkaTEmIP3E
    Last edited by Petrus_Carter; 5/26/2014 12:35am at .
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast