Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/18/2014 11:09am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thinking about learning Kajukenbo

There is a Kajukenbo dojo in my area and just was wondering if anyone knew anything about it. I can't find any reviews about it. It is headed by Sal Banuelos. It is called North American Kajukenbo in Gilbert, AZ. Just wondering if anyone knew anything. Thanks.

Posted On:
    5/18/2014 3:36pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know anything about that particular school, but there is no centralized quality control in kajukenbo. Schools vary from slappy-face bullshit to hard-sparring badass fighters. Unless you're lucky enough that someone else knows of the school, then you'll likely have to go down there and watch some classes, or attend if they let you for free. Make sure to ask how often and how hard they spar. If they do spar a lot and it's hard, then you may have found a winner. Good luck.

Posted On:
    5/19/2014 4:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We used to share a dojo and cross train with a Kajukenbo group here in town. They fell on the "hard sparring bad ass" end of the spectrum. Dudes could take a punch, smile and hit back harder. They trained hard, sparred hard, competed hard and as a result they were hard. They also had great attitudes for which I give all credit to their teacher. he was a good guy and his students followed suit.

If the group you're looking at is anything like the guys we worked with I'd want to train with them. YMMV

Posted On:
    5/21/2014 10:04am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read about Sal Banuelos on his website here is what I got.

"Professor Banuelos received his Black Belt from Sigung Steve Kantoniemi of the Crazy Dragons. He also trained with Sifu Bob Hernandez. As well as under Sifu Bill Owens who awarded him a 3rd Degree Black Belt in Wun-Hop-Kuen-Do. Professor Banuelos received his 5th Degree under Ahgung Tony Ramos. He received his professorship from GrandMaster Gary Forbach and Grandmaster Ted Sotello in September 2007."

I couldn't find much about his teachers. Anyone know anything about them. I also read a forum on his dojo in San Jose. He seems well respected.

Posted On:
    5/21/2014 2:19pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"Professor Banuelos received his Black Belt from Sigung Steve Kantoniemi of the Crazy Dragons. He also trained with Sifu Bob Hernandez. As well as under Sifu Bill Owens who awarded him a 3rd Degree Black Belt in Wun-Hop-Kuen-Do. Professor Banuelos received his 5th Degree under Ahgung Tony Ramos. He received his professorship from GrandMaster Gary Forbach and Grandmaster Ted Sotello in September 2007."

I couldn't find much about his teachers. Anyone know anything about them. I also read this about Sal Banuelos dojo in San Jose. He seems pretty respected.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Posted On:
    5/21/2014 4:01pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I wasnt able to find a whole lot about his instructors. Just biographies, but nothing about the quality of their training. Anyone know anything about them. I also read this about Sal Banuelos dojo in San Jose. He seems pretty respected.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/27/2014 11:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tony is real as is his daughter's dojo here in Hilo. Family oriented Kaju, which is great, imho. So did the OP go work out or is this just theory? I've been in Kaju that is similar to most mid range karate dojos, and in Kaju which blew me away. Never seen shitty Kajukenbo, but I imagine it exists out there somewhere.

So did you work out or what?
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    5/27/2014 11:19pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't done it yet haven't had time. I think I'm going to try another dojo in the area headed by Kelly Crowder. He trained under George Lim then under Sal Banuelos then a few others. I watched their YouTube videos. They seem like they've got it together. But that's just what Im getting from their videos. I'll have to go in. Thanks for the info. Sorry for the reposts I didn't do that on purpose.