Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/18/2014 8:43pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being the proud father of two young boys I've developed, over the last 5 years or so, a sixth sense for avoiding nut shots and thus negating the need for a box. Despite 2 years of weekly mma sparring (as well as rolling and bjj comps) I have yet to take a direct hit.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    5/19/2014 8:26am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems like avoiding the sensation of cock n' balls rubbing against you would be enough motivation for more widespread use of cups while grappling. I guess not.

I always wore a cup and mouthguard when I grappled and my son does as well. I could probably understand going without the cup but I think it's retarded to grapple without a mouthguard. My kids are the only two kids in their BJJ class who wear mouthguards when they roll and there are a bunch of kids in there. It blows my mind. I see a shitload of kids wrestling without a mouthguard too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2014 2:14am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have never needed one in judo, and don't know why you would need on in BJJ. Many old timers in Japan go commando nothing under the gi, I guess they just let the boys swing. I always say " The only guys that get kicked in the balls are the guys with the big balls." Me I don't have that problem. :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2014 2:26am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daishi View Post
    everyone at my school wears one, I think.
    Is it a Judo dojo?

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    5/20/2014 12:18pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't wear one, one of the only guys in my gym who does wear one is an ammy MMA fighter, and seems to feel more comfortable with one in.

However, we've started from standing and I've landed hard on him a few times, since then he's begun reevaluating if he wants to wear a cup for Judo/BJJ sparring. Simply put, 310lbs of man coming down on your cup hurts. A lot.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    5/20/2014 1:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    I've seen a few mouth-guards here.
    Anyone with braces or other dental issues (hardware, weak teeth, etc) should wear some sort of mouth protection.

Cups are very unusual in Judo, illegal (as you know) in competition. Hard objects cannot be worn outside the body (cups, knee braces, hard casts, etc).

My take on it is they are not really necessary for Judo. I have trained with a few guys who insisted on wearing them in practice over the past 30+years. They are a hazard/annoyance to uke/training partners...I've had them used as leverage for Juji Gatame, ground in my face/back/chest during ne waza.

The level of paranoia some men have regarding their testicles is pretty amazing. I somehow managed to father two kids after having had my balls kicked, grabbed, squeezed (as in Black Monk's Te Guruma example...many many times though).

No doubt one could have traumatic injury happen while grappling in general. I'd suggest though that anyone that concerned with the integrity of the family jewels take up a non-contact sport, as the likelihood of getting some sort of major joint injury or concussion is a lot greater (in Judo at least) than permanent damage to the testicles.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2014 2:22pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was really glad when I transitioned from no-gi to Judo and didn't have to wear a cup. Cups always seem uncomfortable to grapple in and chafe my thighs (might just need to own a better cup) especially for ground-work. Granted I don't have the years under my belt that any of our Judo black belts have, but I think I have taken a nut shot maybe three times total.

Posted On:
    5/20/2014 3:28pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's just never crossed my mind to wear a cup. I've taken the odd shot, everyone has, but you just carry on. Don't wear a rash guard either but I might if I trained a ton of hours.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    5/20/2014 4:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In BJJ, I wear a (plastic) cup, but when I did Judo I didn't wear a cup.

On Mondays, the Judo started right after the BJJ in the same place, so in the beginning I would keep my cup on, but wearing a cup would hurt when crashing into the tatami with certain throws.
    So from that day on, I removed the cup before Judo started.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    5/20/2014 4:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    I was really glad when I transitioned from no-gi to Judo and didn't have to wear a cup. Cups always seem uncomfortable to grapple in and chafe my thighs (might just need to own a better cup) especially for ground-work. Granted I don't have the years under my belt that any of our Judo black belts have, but I think I have taken a nut shot maybe three times total.
    I've taken tons of nut shots, grabs, squeezes, uchi mata (and ouchi gari!) straight up the middle. I used to compete against a guy for whom it was SOP to grab you by the balls in Te Guruma as either a counter throw or direct attack. My first and most serious judo coach used to joke that his fingerprints would show up on my kids foreheads (haven't noticed any yet).

Yet those painful experiences pale in comparison to a torn ACL (and recon surgery), multiple concussions, and a grade 3 AC tear/rip, and torn groin muscle(s) (that turned my balls black then purple, green and yellow, BTW), all from Judo, and mostly in TRAINING not competition (all except one concussion and the torn AC). And I'm talking puking in the street concussion, not bell ringer.

Oh, and the bruised kidneys and pissing blood, yeah...guess I should wear body armor and head gear...

Somehow, my testicles have survived intact.
    Falling for Judo since 1980
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast