Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Charlie Don't Surf

Posted On:
    5/17/2014 11:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Why no cup in Judo?

I wear one when I'm training, but am the only one in my dojo who does (old habits die hard, especially when those habits preserve one's nuts). Also, they're against the rules at tournaments. I asked my instructor and he said that it's because you can actually get injured more seriously wearing a cup than not if you get hit really hard. That sounded like BS to me, since I've been kicked in the nuts hard enough to lift me off the ground both wearing a cup and not wearing a cup and wearing a cup is much much much better, IMVHO. So, what's the deal? Why no cup in Judo? It seems like such a basic piece of safety equipment.
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2014 7:42am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    everyone at my school wears one, I think.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    5/18/2014 8:00am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TEA View Post
    I wear one when I'm training, but am the only one in my dojo who does (old habits die hard, especially when those habits preserve one's nuts). Also, they're against the rules at tournaments. I asked my instructor and he said that it's because you can actually get injured more seriously wearing a cup than not if you get hit really hard. That sounded like BS to me, since I've been kicked in the nuts hard enough to lift me off the ground both wearing a cup and not wearing a cup and wearing a cup is much much much better, IMVHO. So, what's the deal? Why no cup in Judo? It seems like such a basic piece of safety equipment.
    there's a rule against wearing a hard object under one's gi, and the ban on cups seems to be based on that. i have heard the leverage argument and i think it's BS. if guys are going to throw uchi matas, then it's not too much to want to wear a cup, so i think the rule is dumb.

now it's time for some UK/european to come tell us that we're a bunch of pussies, and how *no one* in europe wears them.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/18/2014 9:11am

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My original BJJ instructor refused to wear a cup, and encouraged us to do the same, because that was more "realistic". So I didn't wear a cup for the first couple of years that I trained BJJ.

Then I moved back to Austin, and everyone wore them at my new school. I started focusing on judo and sambo, and left BJJ behind. They convinced me that it was necessary, over time, so I wore one for the next few years. There were a number of times where a nut would slip out and get crushed by the edge of the cup, and sometimes the cup would completely shift and not be covering my nuts at all. Then one time, a guy leaned back for a shitty ankle lock, planted his foot on the inside of my opposite leg, and it caught one of my stray nuts under the edge of the cup and stretched it halfway down my leg.

I've never worn one since, and haven't had any significant problems. I have to adjust how I move and defend, sure.

Uchi mata was always miserable, whether I wore a cup or not. I was sparring one of the judo coaches here a little while back, and he is huge, comparatively. 6'2" or 3", at least 220lbs, and shredded lean. His uchi mata goes straight down the middle every time, so it hurts whether you're wearing a cup or not. It motivated me to work a lot harder to avoid that throw, to say the least. And then, ironically, I threw him with a huge te guruma where I accidentally gripped his nuts.

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    5/18/2014 1:13pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It depends how you use it. If you are using it for protection that just fine with me. If you are using it as a weapon to add force to armbars or grinding into my spine when in back mount then I'll choose not to roll with you anymore.

3 years of No-Gi Jiu-Jitsu, 7 years of Judo and 3 years of BJJ I have never worn a cup.
    Last edited by Plasma; 5/18/2014 1:17pm at .

Posted On:
    5/18/2014 1:45pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never seen or heard of anyone using a cup in judo.

Posted On:
    5/18/2014 3:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    now it's time for some UK/european to come tell us that we're a bunch of pussies, and how *no one* in europe wears them.
    Here!

But seriously the wearing a box during grappling seems to be an exclusively US phenomenon.

They aren't used in the UK, Europe, Russia, Asia etc...

Same goes for gumshields, too, you could visit 100 clubs in the UK and Europe and not run across someone wearing either a box or a gumshield.

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    5/18/2014 3:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen some people wear mouthpieces whilst rolling (in Europe)

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Posted On:
    5/18/2014 7:08pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen a few mouth-guards here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2014 7:22pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've rolled/randori'ed both with and without. In cases of pure grappling, I will never put one on. However, occasionally when doing some BJJ after Thai boxing, I'm generally too lazy to take mine out.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast