Posted On:
    5/07/2014 6:21pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Gatame - arm bar.
    Garami- key lock.
    I do the standing gatame all the time, but all it usually does is make people cautious about shooting in an underhook.

If Teixira got done in the shoulder though then I guess it doesn't really matter which one of them it was.

The rest of the article seems to be all about "oh look at this stuff, it would work if they had swords". I've been hearing that argument for donkeys years off ninjas and supposedly Japanese jujutsu practitioners, and I wasn't really that impressed by it.

I think what you saw in that match was a low percentage, but also low risk, move that gets used a lot to put people off their game, only this time it did some damage. I guess it was bound to work for someone at some point, right?
    Good point about the percentage. I mean, it obviously messed with Glover and kept him off his game, but didn't end the fight either.

As far as the "it would work with weapons" thing goes, I was reminded of a lot of the recent discussions about Aikido (and other martial arts) we have had in the last little while that also talk about how the context of the development of the technique is part of the reason it is ineffective when taken out of it's context (the connection of Aikido and swordsmanship specifically.)

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    5/07/2014 7:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    I would actually be tempted to call it Waki Gatame, whilst it's not ude hishigi waki gatame, it's pretty clear from the gif that the driving force behin the break is the arm entanglement in Jones' armpit, which provides the leverage for the break.

This is assuming, of course, that we have to give it a Judo name and can't just call it brutal standing armlock.
    That wasn't anything near Waki Gatame...He never really fully applied kansetsu in any case, was banging the guy's elbow to get rid of the underhook.

I agree, no need to give it a "Judo" name.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    5/07/2014 7:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    Because after the fight Glover said the lock messed up his shoulder.

Looked like more pressure on the elbow to me, but I'm quite certain he has a much better perspective on it than the rest of us ;-)
    Could well have been both, but the shoulder got injured.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    5/07/2014 7:31pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Torn labrum for Teixeira.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2014 12:20am

Style: Judo & WTF Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Why do you think that lock is tweaking the shoulder?
    He's putting the shoulder through external rotation as well as jamming the humeral head into the joint cavity. That's a pretty unpleasant combination which can lead to a torn labrum as NeilG cited. Anyone who has ever had a torn labrum knows its hurts like hell and also does a really good job restricting your joint movement.

The elbow is bent through most of the movement which is a) protecting that joint somewhat and b) allowing Jone's to exert more torque onto Glover's shoulder joint, therefore adding to the shoulder damage.

With attacking the elbow your actually going after 3 joints not just one, which is why you need the arm hyper extended as well as the thumb pointing in the direction you're going to apply force for the lock.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2014 12:21am

Style: Judo & WTF Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Double post

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2014 1:02am

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know that it's really all that low percentage. I've had decent success using the over hook to get a kind of standing key lock (I'm staying away from judo terms because outside of some of the more basic high percentage throws I'm not overly familiar) which occasionally results in a tap but usually just sets up a take down.

Jone's looks to be violently snapping the arm straight instead of twisting in to key lock, so it's kind of different, but I could see working that about the same way and with about the same success rate...

But I have to admit, that's just a guess, it's nothing I'd try while rolling. To quote George Clooney in From Dusk Til Dawn, 'I may be an asshole, but I'm not a fuckin' asshole.'

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2014 6:27pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sumo wrestlers perform a technique similar to what is shown in the video, I think.

Kotenage: number 15

http://www.grapplearts.com/Blog/2013...artial-artist/

I want to try out some of the sumo kimarite in Randori eventually (not the slaps or standing armlocks, however haha)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2014 6:29pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I think I've seen this in sumo

Sumo wrestlers perform a technique similar to what is shown in the video, I think.

Kotenage: number 15

http://www.grapplearts.com/Blog/2013...artial-artist/

I want to try out some of the sumo kimarite in Randori eventually (not the slaps or standing armlocks, however haha)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/09/2014 4:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pfft. Mike Tyson was pulling this **** off back in the day when the UFC was only available on satellite.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12