Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    6/01/2014 6:13am

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just popping to note how butthurt imperialists are about losing this one 40 years later

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2014 8:04am

Style: Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your question about tactics is a broad one. The war was fought progressively, and developmentally. What people expected in 1965 was different than what they expected in 1969, was different from what people expected in 1972. (1965, how can we lose? We can only win. 1969, how do we keep from losing? 1972, how do we get out?)

With that, many "tactics" remain standard before, during, and after the Vietnam war. The book recommended to you earlier, Street without Joy, by Bernard Fall, is an excellent read, and in general terms the U.S. made many of the same tactical and strategic errors of the French.

Street without Joy is a good place to start. The war in Indochina was part of a much larger chronology. We inherited it from the French in 1954. And, during their phase of the war we were supporting them upwards of 75-to-80 percent of their cost by 1954.

I'm a historian by training. You'll find the military history of Southeast Asia during the 20th century a fascinating read.

My mind ran to topics like riverine warfare, the Phoenix Program, the Communist Bloc countries training, supporting, and participating in operations within South Vietnam. It's a spiderweb of "tactics." It just depends what elements of modern warfare you focus on, but it is all there. Propaganda, agent development, assassinations, logistical support requirements, conventional warfare and unconventional warfare, each topic influences and folds into the next at some juncture.

Posted On:
    6/01/2014 11:20am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    Just popping to note how butthurt imperialists are about losing this one 40 years later
    U.S. involvement in Vietnam was originally a quid pro quo for France not blocking Germany's entry into NATO. A back-asswards reason to get involved in a war, that's for sure. I'm pretty sure the only people who really feel otherwise are the folks ghosting around D.C. who are still trying to justify why they were right to do so. Alas, this thread is about tactics, not politics, so let's keep things on topic.

In case anyone was wondering, versions of the three tactics WoundedRonin was referring to in his first post appear to still be in use by conventional forces today, but with disguised names like "presence patrols." Or at least that's what it appears like to me, having never participated in such tomfoolery. I have taken part in a good number of long-offset baited ambushes and movements to contact, but modern weaponry and close air support in contemporary (non-jungle) operating environments rendered those effective, at least in the acute sense of the word.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12