Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2014 2:24pm

Style: Aikido, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

WTF...Can This RNC Escape Actually Work?

So, was busy floating around the Tubes, came across this vid of a RNC escape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHLTGpdkH-E#t=154

And I just went...WTF? That's the worst escape ever! Still better than biting but really bad nonetheless. Anyone want to chip and correct me or back me up how awful this escape is?

And what about the rest of his vids? Could this be Shane Fazening his way through MMA?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2014 2:47pm

Style: Shoo Sheetzoo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, MMA Surge. Funny story, I actually learnt the Kimura from guard that mystified my JJJ peers and ensured my dominance on the mats from one of his videos. As for the RNC escape, it looks overly intricate and very difficult (if not impossible) to pull off on a resisting opponent with any understanding of grappling (understanding such as "I want to try to hold on to my opponent"). Actually, when he removes the first arm at around 2:46-48, he is in a prime position to do an armbar I've seen used as a counter to a sloppy RNC attempt, but he completely neglects it in favor of giving his opponent an underhook which, while not optimal, still gives your opponent ample means to control you and stretch you out while he has your back. Just a super-noob's two cents.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2014 2:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadzu View Post
    Ah, MMA Surge. Funny story, I actually learnt the Kimura from guard that mystified my JJJ peers and ensured my dominance on the mats from one of his videos. As for the RNC escape, it looks overly intricate and very difficult (if not impossible) to pull off on a resisting opponent with any understanding of grappling (understanding such as "I want to try to hold on to my opponent"). Actually, when he removes the first arm at around 2:46-48, he is in a prime position to do an armbar I've seen used as a counter to a sloppy RNC attempt, but he completely neglects it in favor of giving his opponent an underhook which, while not optimal, still gives your opponent ample means to control you and stretch you out while he has your back. Just a super-noob's two cents.
    Hahaha! That's just weird. But yeah, I've rolled just ONCE, and I can still tell that bloody RNC defense was ****. I wonder if the rest of his stuff is just as crappy, or maybe he just got a bad roll in this once case?
    Last edited by Milk_; 5/03/2014 2:59pm at . Reason: Bad grammar

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2014 3:43pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks crappy.
    - The first defense is just gifting the guy an armbar from the back.

- 2nd one would be fine I guess, assuming he taps or lets go. Most people won't let you do this.

- Third one assumes you can get your hands around your own neck faster than your opponent (any good opponent is going to control your arms better than that).

- Fourth one is fine I guess, but he gets the wrong shoulder to the ground (at least I think he does, I never get it right unless I am being choked). Plus the concept that you can't get choked if your back is on the mat ignores an awful lot of effective chokes.

- Fifth one may work on a compliant opponent but no one if just going to let you pull their hooks out and then wait for you to do a fucking flip. And your opponent can just roll with you and still have the choke.

Seems like he has gathered tiny elements of what is effective defense without actually knowing the defenses and then tried to invent some **** based on those minor details.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2014 3:54pm

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think they might also want to teach you the world's dumbest guard pass:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2014 3:54pm

Style: Shoo Sheetzoo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    Looks crappy.
    - The first defense is just gifting the guy an armbar from the back.

- 2nd one would be fine I guess, assuming he taps or lets go. Most people won't let you do this.

- Third one assumes you can get your hands around your own neck faster than your opponent (any good opponent is going to control your arms better than that).

- Fourth one is fine I guess, but he gets the wrong shoulder to the ground (at least I think he does, I never get it right unless I am being choked). Plus the concept that you can't get choked if your back is on the mat ignores an awful lot of effective chokes.

- Fifth one may work on a compliant opponent but no one if just going to let you pull their hooks out and then wait for you to do a fucking flip. And your opponent can just roll with you and still have the choke.

Seems like he has gathered tiny elements of what is effective defense without actually knowing the defenses and then tried to invent some **** based on those minor details.

Yeah, most of his videos teaching basic submissions (keylocks, armbars and the like) are pretty straightforward and competently done, though usually giving only a cursory overview of the technique. My impression is that this guy has watched a lot of videos, been to some MMA/BJJ classes and is building this online persona of himself as some hardened cage fighter, though there are holes in his teaching that convey a certain lack of refinement typical to one with limited hands-on experience (trust me, it takes one to know one). I'd take his videos with a pinch of salt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2014 4:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadzu View Post
    Yeah, most of his videos teaching basic submissions . I'd take his videos with a pinch of salt.
    I'd take his videos with an entire bottle of salt.

Posted On:
    5/03/2014 6:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The gentleman in question has more than 20 professional MMA fights. I'd say that's pretty hardened, even if he has slightly more losses than wins.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2014 6:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    The gentleman in question has more than 20 professional MMA fights. I'd say that's pretty hardened, even if he has slightly more losses than wins.
    Links please! And who was he fighting with techniques like that? Geriatric zombies?

Posted On:
    5/03/2014 6:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast