Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2014 2:09pm

Style: Aikido, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How to Defend Standing Rear Naked Choke

Hello! The Milk_ in is in da house!!

So I have a question, which is the best or at least most effective way to escape or break a STANDING rear naked choke. See, in Kenya thieves have taken to attaching a piece of metal or flat wood to their inner forearm, and then RNC-ing with full force to the throat. And they drag you backwards while doing it.

Anyway, what's the best way to effectively deal with RNC that's locked in while standing, and the person is dragging you back. So far, I'm using the tips from this video:

I haven't managed to make use of it against full resistance, and I'm not experienced enough to judge the video technique's level of practical applicability.

Peace!

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    5/03/2014 11:21pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Milk_ View Post
    Hello! The Milk_ in is in da house!!

So I have a question, which is the best or at least most effective way to escape or break a STANDING rear naked choke. See, in Kenya thieves have taken to attaching a piece of metal or flat wood to their inner forearm, and then RNC-ing with full force to the throat. And they drag you backwards while doing it.

Anyway, what's the best way to effectively deal with RNC that's locked in while standing, and the person is dragging you back. So far, I'm using the tips from this video:

I haven't managed to make use of it against full resistance, and I'm not experienced enough to judge the video technique's level of practical applicability.

Peace!
    Do you have access to Judo? If so, start training your seionage. As soon as you feel the arm wrap, crouch, bend, throw. This is your first line of defense.
    Should they establish the grip and break the posture, there are two escapes with which I am familiar: the hooking the leg and tripping, or stepping back for a scoop throw.
    Anyways, here's a video of a guy explaining all three of those decently well:
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2014 9:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Do you have access to Judo? If so, start training your seionage. As soon as you feel the arm wrap, crouch, bend, throw. This is your first line of defense.
    Should they establish the grip and break the posture, there are two escapes with which I am familiar: the hooking the leg and tripping, or stepping back for a scoop throw.
    Anyways, here's a video of a guy explaining all three of those decently well:
    There is Judo in Kenya, but it's kinda far from where I live and I don't think it's cheap. Also, I'm into BJJ more than anything right now, I just need to compliment it with some sort of striking art, maybe MT.

There's not enough words to describe my existence.

Posted On:
    5/04/2014 9:49pm

supporting member
     Style: No Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is Judo in Kenya, but it's kinda far from where I live and I don't think it's cheap. Also, I'm into BJJ more than anything right now, I just need to compliment it with some sort of striking art, maybe MT.
    But your style field already says MT. Confused, I am.

As far as BJJvJudo, there is no reason you can't train *seionage in BJJ
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 5/04/2014 9:55pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2014 12:10am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    But your style field already says MT. Confused, I am.

As far as BJJvJudo, there is no reason you can't train *seionage in BJJ
    I used to do MT back in 2006-2007 mate, then I started Aikido in 2012-2013. So yeah that's why my field says MT, so it should be "go back to MT", but I've been so off that game that it's almost as good starting anew. As for the Seonage part, I absolutely agree.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2014 5:50pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is at least one escape in Judo's self defense Kata as well: basically you sink your hips and escape out of the armpit while turning into your attacker.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2014 6:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    There is at least one escape in Judo's self defense Kata as well: basically you sink your hips and escape out of the armpit while turning into your attacker.
    Essentially the same defense in Aikido, doesn't work very well. Not when someone has slammed a strong choke on and is trying to break your posture while moving around. Also, when you get your head under their armpit, they just slam on a half-nelson choke, which means you now need to figure out another escape.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2014 6:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But, that defense is serviceable if the choke has not locked on. The second you feel the arm even slightly around your neck, you bend your knees, grab the hand/forearm and push it an outwards arc and slip underneath the armpit. Try not to faint from the sweat stain, important part of training.

You sort of end up in a forward momentum Sanko/Yonkyo lock, again, this is from Aikido. But again, the issue is escaping from a standing RNC that HAS locked on, not one that's about to, a tight one that's crushing your esophagus.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2014 6:47pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But, that defense is serviceable if the choke has not locked on. The second you feel the arm even slightly around your neck, you bend your knees, grab the hand/forearm and push it an outwards arc and slip underneath the armpit. Try not to faint from the sweat stain, important part of training.

You sort of end up in a forward momentum Sanko/Yonkyo lock, again, this is from Aikido. But again, the issue is escaping from a standing RNC that HAS locked on, not one that's about to, a tight one that's crushing your esophagus.
    I hear you. I think the BJJ examples are a good "live" implementation of the kata technique (most of the BJJ self defense stuff I have seen is very similar to Judo's self defense kata). I have done the judo version with a pretty serious amount of resistance and it does work if you time it right. The reality is if you are being pulled backwards really hard with a choke you are in deep **** already.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2014 7:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    I hear you. I think the BJJ examples are a good "live" implementation of the kata technique (most of the BJJ self defense stuff I have seen is very similar to Judo's self defense kata). I have done the judo version with a pretty serious amount of resistance and it does work if you time it right. The reality is if you are being pulled backwards really hard with a choke you are in deep **** already.
    BJJ and Judo are essentially the same art, except some guy from a country that's into nuts and hot babes decided he wanted to do Judo on his ass. His name Hello, Heel o or some **** like that, idk. *nods head wisely*

But on a serious note, BJJ standing defense is essentially the same as Judo's and Aikdio is sort of a distant cousin to both -- in terms of certain techniques. Now while that kata does work under pressure, there's a difference between dojo pressure and street pressure. Dojo pressure is tough but it's controlled, in the street the choke slams on tight and they drag you backwards at the same time, they actually sacrifice an effective RNC just to break posture, some add their body weight to the whole ordeal.

In essence, getting out of a "deep **** already" choke is kind of what I'm looking for, since the transition from "deep" to "deep ****" chokes happens pretty much instantly over here.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast