Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2014 1:10pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Djinn/Spirits in Silat?

Hi guys. This is a bit of a long shot, but I am thinking of doing a paper on the use of djinn and spirits in Silat (specifically the spiritual/mystical side of Silat) and was curious if anyone had any experience with this or sources about it they knew of. Thanks for the help in advance!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2014 2:36pm

Style: 空手 / &#2147

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Been browsing around for a bit, for a region that has a tradition of believing in all kinds of spirits, I'd be surprised if there wasn't anything related to pencak silat. You might be interested in the terms Ilmu Kontak and Kanuragan

Posted On:
    5/11/2014 4:40pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I recall Lionel Nasution, of KATEDA infamy, talking about spirits etc. He seemed possessed one night when I saw him to something astonishing but that's by-the-by. He was Indonesian and I believe that the Indonesia authorities now regard KATEDA and part of the Pencak system. If that helps, sorry if it doesn't.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2014 3:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Journal of Asian Martial Arts once featured a research paper similar to what you intend to write. It was titled "Mysticism on the Island Of Java", or something like that. It was written by a researcher who spent a lot of time in Indonesia, studying Silat and observing the various mystical practices there. All in all, I found it to be informative and well written.

The journal sells copies of its articles in pdf format.They might have a copy of that particular article available for sale.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2014 5:12am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Journal of Asian Martial Arts once featured a research paper similar to what you intend to write. It was titled "Mysticism on the Island Of Java", or something like that. It was written by a researcher who spent a lot of time in Indonesia, studying Silat and observing the various mystical practices there. All in all, I found it to be informative and well written.

The journal sells copies of its articles in pdf format.They might have a copy of that particular article available for sale.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2014 1:43pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    btw Krijgsman, might be a silly thought and a long shot, but (looking at your username) if you'd happen to know any Dutch: considering that area was a former colony of the Dutch, that could be an asset.

I remember that Donn Draeger wrote about pencak silat as well, so you might give that a try, although he was quite a down to earth man.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2014 10:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moenstah View Post
    btw Krijgsman, might be a silly thought and a long shot, but (looking at your username) if you'd happen to know any Dutch: considering that area was a former colony of the Dutch, that could be an asset.

I remember that Donn Draeger wrote about pencak silat as well, so you might give that a try, although he was quite a down to earth man.
    I am Dutch, a generation removed after immigration to Canada through. But I could probably struggle through some documents.

Thanks for the direction guys, I really appreciate it. My prof actually spent some time in Indonesia and did a little Silat and he pointed me to some other sources as well.

Thanks again!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2014 2:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're not too sure about any Dutch passages, pop me a message and I could help you out, native speaker

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2014 6:03pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moenstah View Post
    If you're not too sure about any Dutch passages, pop me a message and I could help you out, native speaker

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk
    Sweet. My wife is off-the-boat Dutch and I have some Dutch classmates so I should be ok. But I may need help with specifically martial arts terminology though, so much appreciated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2014 4:25am

Style: Pencak Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    Sweet. My wife is off-the-boat Dutch and I have some Dutch classmates so I should be ok. But I may need help with specifically martial arts terminology though, so much appreciated.
    Hi there, here another dutchman. A warning with this stuff; there are a lot of fakers (bullshido warning) and if they are genuine, it's very hard to find those people and being open to actually tell you something of value about it. In Holland there are still some practitioners doing it, some even give demonstrations out in the open.

Most of the knowledge is still in Indonesia. Some Dutch-indos brought some of the stuff towards Holland and perhaps also to the USA.

I don't know a lot about it, mainly that it has animistic roots, and that it's not to be played with randomly. It's like playing around with Voodoo. I once heard that William Sanders of Cimande did practice some of that stuff.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast