Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2005 1:12am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fred Kwok in Vancouver

Anyone know anything about Fred Kwok's Wing Chun/Kickboxing school in Vancouver?

I checked out a class there recently, and it seemed pretty good. I tried another version of Wing Chun ('Wing Tsun') years ago, and found the footwork kind of bizarre and awkward, but the footwork at this school is quite mobile and seems more like boxing or Filipino martial arts. From what I could tell, the instructor seemed honest (i.e. didn't try and feed me any mysticism/invincibility crap), competent, and could generate a lot of power in his punches.

As I'm still checking around at this point, does anyone on here have recommendations for any other schools in Vancouver? I did some Muay Thai and FMA while living in other cities during the 1990s, but don't have much of sense of what's worth checking out in Vancouver and haven't really trained at all in the last five years. I'm up for some amount of hard contact, but suspect that I may be getting a bit old now for styles/schools like Muay Thai that involve getting battered around heavily on a regular basis (I'm in my mid-30s). Basically, I'm looking for improved fitness and some decent self defence skills, but don't have any personal interest in competing in MMA competitions, etc (much respect for those who do though).

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    1/29/2005 8:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Franco Kickboxing & Pankration ;)
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Posted On:
    1/29/2005 8:48pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there a bjj place near you? It's a good workout with some contact, but you shouldn't get too beat up, even for old farts in their 30s

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    1/29/2005 9:17pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Denis Kang is the jiu-jitsu guy around here... I think.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    1/29/2005 10:17pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Creative Fighters Guild in Richmond (www.creativefightersguild.com)
    Universal Martial Arts and Coccoon Athletics on Granville downtown.
    Martial Arts Training Centre in Coquitlam
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2005 10:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the recommendations.

Anyone know anything at all about Fred Kwok's school? It's within easy walking distance from where I live, which probably increases the chances that I would make it to training on a regular basis.

I've looked around this board a bit, and it seems people have a low opinion of Wing Chun (which is pretty understandable based on most variants of it I've seen), but this guy seems pretty good and seems to have incorporated elements of kickboxing into what he does (I think they do mostly Wing Chun on Monday/Wed and kickboxing Tues/Thurs. Didn't see any groundfighting there on the night I checked it out though.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    1/29/2005 11:16pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are some things you can learn from WC. Kickboxing is always good for the most part. Unfortunately I've never heard of Fred Kwok. But I like the sound of his name.

El Guapo says dance!

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    1/30/2005 12:21am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where's the gym? PM me with the address, I can go check it out too, if you'd like.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2005 2:36am

Style: Kyokushin, Muay Thai,BJJ+

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I might know who he is but I'll make sure...

I think I might be a little bit familiar with the individual you're talking about but I'll make sure monday/tuesday... If he's who I think he is he has been in the Vancouver kickboxing scene for at leat 8-9 years and has had a decent ammount of fighters in kickboxing/muay thai matches.
    I once saw him get into an argument with a muay thai instructor on some bad calls he made when reffing a fight(if it's the same individual). The one fighter of his that I saw fight won within 30 seconds by KO. You're in vancouver, you have a lot of schools to choose from just depends what you're looking for.
    For Kickboxing/muay thai you have KB One, Gold Lion Muay Thai, and Franco kickboxing/pankration which someone allready mentioned. I know there is a BJJ black belt around the Vancouver area teaching but I forgot his name. He's either under Carlson gracie's org or Gracie Barra...dab nab my memory.
    To the person familiar with franco kickboxing/pankration; is Ryan Diaz still training there? Ryan helped work the first corner of my first Muay Thai fight around 97/98 in Vancouver on a Top Rank promotion :), he's a good guy.

Posted On:
    1/30/2005 2:40am

Style: sushi-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    gotta make a shameless plug for gibson's kickboxing and pankration in port moody BC ... thats where ryan diaz trains and instructs ...

the school is operated by lance gibson ... winner of UFC 24 ...

all the instructers there are professional fighters ...
    totoro-san ... world sushi munching champion ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast