Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2014 10:10pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What to look for in a Boxing gym?

So, I'm getting interested in learning how to throw hands, and adding some boxing to my Judo skills. There are a couple of gyms here in town that I want to check out, but I'm not sure how to gauge quality of instruction and whatnot. I want something where I'm going to learn some good old-school fundamentals, not something with group boxercise classes and feel-good motivation.

So, what should I keep an eye out for? What kind of characteristics does a legit boxing gym have? What are some tells for an over-commercialized money grab? Do I have to buy anything before-hand, or will showing up in shorts and a t-shirt count?

I'm in the Ottawa area (Canada) if anyone has any local knowledge.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2014 5:08pm

Style: Thai Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Three questions:

Do they have competitors?
    Are they winning?
    Does the coach sport a mustache?

If the answer to 2/3 of these is yes, you're good to go.

Posted On:
    4/28/2014 5:37pm

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really the same things you'd look for in a judo club. Except with fists.

You look for aliveness, an active and successful fight team, decent equipment and price point, and an instructor that is available and that you can learn from.
    Last edited by Soldiermedic; 4/28/2014 5:42pm at . Reason: elaboration

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2014 6:20pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All good points. Thanks for the responses.

One more thing. I'm a Cyclops. One working eye, one glass one. It doesn't bother me in Judo, but should I stay away from boxing? Personally, I only want to learn how the basics and maybe do some light sparring with head gear, so I am pretty sure I'll be fine. The better half and other relatives are worried, though...

Is recreational boxing that risky to the eye?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2014 6:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

One more thing. I'm a Cyclops. One working eye, one glass one. It doesn't bother me in Judo, but should I stay away from boxing? Personally, I only want to learn how the basics and maybe do some light sparring with head gear, so I am pretty sure I'll be fine. The better half and other relatives are worried, though...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2014 7:07pm

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It could be. In light of that, maybe you should find another striking style that doesn't allow punches to the head. Like Kyokushin Karate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2014 11:37pm

Style: MMA/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lost depth perception would be a significantly greater disadvantage in striking then it is in grappling.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2014 8:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I guess. I want to learn how to throw a decent punch, though. And how to defend against the same. Maybe I'll just train and stick to pad and bag work. Or find some ridiculously over-engineered boxing head gear to wear.
    Last edited by Bayonet; 4/29/2014 8:29am at .

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/29/2014 10:15am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayonet View Post

i have sight in both eyes, but only use one of my eyes for peripheral vision, so i just don't have depth perception, no actual blindness. even with my relatively good sight, judo is a much better choice than a striking art.

with an actual blind side, boxing is going to be very hard for you. if your sparring partners are any good they are going to be able to light you up with hooks on that side, and since you won't see them coming at all, you will have a higher chance of getting KO'd.

you could have some fun with it with recreational players, as long as you trust your training partners not to be dicks, but i would be very careful and would never suggest that you compete.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2014 9:28am

Style: Chow Gar / Eskrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I checked out a local boxing club (www.like2box.co.uk), ticked some boxes in that its good equipment, reasonable price and a fight team. Checking out a class it is 1 hour long split into 20 mins cardio (push ups, jogging, etc), 20 mins technique (pad work, bad work) then 20 mins more cardio. Is this a usual breakdown of a boxing class? I was expecting a lot more technical work and bag work ?