• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/22/2014 1:56pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hook punch, vertical or horizontal fist?

Hey All,

This is sort of a general poll of the group here to see what people's preference is for how they throw the typical left hook.

Do you change the position of your fist depending on the situation (distance to the opponent etc.), or do you only try to throw hooks with a "vertical" fist (little finger to the ground) or a horizontal fist (palm to the ground).

Just wondering people's opinion on the matter - I've been told various things by various instructors in both Western Boxing, and other more traditional martial arts.

Cheers!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2015 11:12pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hi! I'm new ...

Hi!

My first post after weeks of reading. YAY!

I've recently read a lot about the matter. It seems that there are as many people preaching horizontal as vertical fist with hooks.

Researching early pugilism, I found that the vertical fist was used to protect the thumb from breaking on defenses. So, for body shots they would use a horizontal fist so they wouldn't break the thumbs on the elbows, and vertically when going for the head.

In modern western boxing that is not an issue because of the heavy gloves with thumb protection, so it remains a matter of taste. I myself feel horizontal hooks to the head feeling more natural.

Greetz,
    Ron_OCata

Posted On:
    4/01/2015 8:29am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use vertical fist all the time, in all punches.