Posted On:
    10/31/2014 10:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ+boxing+WWII h2h

Hi there,

i'm presentably doing some BJJ i was planning to take boxing too. I was also considering taking some WWII fairbairn combative. There is a guy here that teach fairbairn combative. Just wondering if it would blend well with BJJ and boxing. The reason i'm intereted in fairbairn method is that it is really simple and straight forward. Also, it it would give that pure self defense/awareness aspect that is missing in both BJJ and boxing.

Thanks!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2014 3:53pm

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WWII Combatives guys generally don't seem to think much of BJJ but don't have any problem recommending Boxing and Judo. Personally, I think that combination (BJJ, Boxing and Fairbairn) sounds awesome!

Who is the Fairbairn system teacher?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2015 12:55pm

Style: Out of Practice

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WWII stuff (US and British anyway) draws a lot of its basics from boxing and judo.

Having glanced over his stuff, I am personally not much of a fan of Fairbairn but you won't find people actually teaching classes with a lot of other material. . .

If you want good WWII combatives I would recommend starting with
    Jack Dempsey's book, 'Cold Steel' by John Styers, and the US Naval Institute's Boxing Manual.

I'll admit I am no kind of expert on any of this, but all of the above seem to have a greater emphasis on sporting and play (or at least techniques that are influenced by those) than what you find in Fairbairn and Applegate's stuff.

. . . I should also probably learn to look at post-dates, too.