Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2014 3:47pm

Style: Aikido, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mother Series of Sambo on DVD Suggestions?

Hey all! It's me, Milk.

So although there are a lot of very good quality BJJ instructional series out there, there don't seem to be any for Sambo. I'm basically asking if anyone knows of a proper "mother series" of Sambo on DVD, or even VHS.

What is a "mother series" you ask? Well, I consider a definitive instructional DVD or DVD series that form the very building blocks of an art to be a "mother series".

Like Gracie Combatives, which is a basic, important and very well structured instructional series on BJJ. Another example would be P90X, a "mother series" of the fitness world. Paul Vunak's Street Figher series also falls into this category for JKD guys as well.

In Aikido (my current style...not that I've been to the dojo in nearly 3 months), the Yoshinkan DVD set would be the equivalent to Gracie Combatives/P90x/ Street Fighter, etc.

Here's my question, what's the equivalent to those series in Sambo? Something that starts from the very beginning, is well explained, thorough, long (maybe a DVD series) and has relatively good production values.

And before people point me to Sambo Steve's video clips on Expert Village, I have them all downloaded and watched. It's the best I've been able to find, but the whole thing is just 1 minute clips where he does not go into fine details or explain things very well (time constraints).

So, is there a "mother series" of Sambo anyone can point me to? Combat Sambo would be ideal, but I'm not going to be picky. it also does not have to be from white belt to black belt, it can be a thorough instructional on just the first grade (like Combatives). But a series similar to Pedro Sauer's, where he goes from white to blue, then blue to purple, then purple to black, would be totally awesome.

There a couple of other arts I want "mother series" in.

Boxing (no idea even where to begin...so many instructionals !!!!).

Muay Thai (I have Rob Kaman's DVD set).

Krav Maga (again...no clue, especially with all the bullcrap Krav out there I'm kinda afraid to just buy any random series).

Savate (zero clue).

Some of these are for traning (we're bascially going to open an MMA garage where a bunch of buddies train for free, best we can do, this is Kenya) like Boxing and Muay Thai, while Krav and Savate are mainly for my personal interest.

Peace out!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2014 10:04am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know there are DVDs out there. Have you checked Amazon or Black Belt Magazine? I want to say Fedor had a video series out at one point, but it might have just been one of several books.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2014 2:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    I know there are DVDs out there. Have you checked Amazon or Black Belt Magazine? I want to say Fedor had a video series out at one point, but it might have just been one of several books.
    All I've been able to find are a few of his seminars, great stuff to watch. I think I MAY HAVE FOUND the Sambo mother series, two in fact.

1.Vladislav Koulikov - Sambo Submission Fighting series. It's a 3 disc set...I think.

2. Igor Yakimov-Sambo. it's 10 volumes long. I'm assuming the pedigree and length of these series is what makes them Mother Series. Additional suggestions are still welcome.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2014 2:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    All I've been able to find are a few of his seminars, great stuff to watch. I think I MAY HAVE FOUND the Sambo mother series, two in fact.

1.Vladislav Koulikov - Sambo Submission Fighting series. It's a 3 disc set...I think.

2. Igor Yakimov-Sambo. it's 10 volumes long. I'm assuming the pedigree and length of these series is what makes them Mother Series. Additional suggestions are still welcome.

Posted On:
    4/29/2014 2:26pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought someone else would post this way before me but oh well:

Igor Kurinnoy: SAMBO for Professionals
    http://www.sambolessons.borec.ru/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2014 3:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ooooooh, looks nice. Is this usable by noobs? Complete noobs I mean. It says "professionals" on the title.

Posted On:
    4/29/2014 3:42pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Milk_ View Post
    Ooooooh, looks nice. Is this usable by noobs? Complete noobs I mean. It says "professionals" on the title.
    Don't know, I wish I had it but have not been able to put the money down for it.

No matter what it has Igor Kurinnoy and he is worth watching in any shape or form.

I think Black Monk has it so you can ask him, Gregg Humphreys (probably the best guy to get these DVD's from anyways, he actually works with Igor, friends with and so on...) can tell you more also... find him on Facebook I don't think he is active on Bullshido <?> - look for Dynamo Combat Club

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2014 9:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool, no idea how they'll get this stuff to Kenya, but I'll get in touch with them.