Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/29/2014 5:54am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, JJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a 30 something BJJer who learnt the hard way to take injuries seriously, i wholeheartedly suggest you listen to the Doc. If you dont, its likely you'll develop a recurring injury that will harm your progress way more than a few weeks lay off.

A few weeks is nothing (as is one comp), especially if you're thinking BJJ will be with you the rest of your life.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    6/01/2014 3:39am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Remember 1 month or 6 months or a year is the long scheme of your life is nothing. Most of use do this as a hobby. Take the time off, rehab and come back 100%. Training will be there waiting for you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2014 2:11pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So after x-rays and an MRI, I have TWO herniated disks in my neck, C5/C6 and C6/C7. So with the sclerosis and bone spurs, the ortho, was very surprised I wasn't in pain or have more symptoms. Said I'm a rare case. (My momma always said I was special!)

So I'm rocking a bunch of meds, physical therapy, and a neck brace at night when I sleep. I have 5 more weeks of pt, and then I do another MRI to see about progress. From there I may get injections and/or surgery, depends.

I cut my losses on the competition. Talked to my instructor, he's had a herniated disk in his back and is really supportive. I still drill techniques, but now only light positional guard work with a couple purple belts and a few upper blue belts that know about my neck.

I do plan to cut back to help my recovery, but I'm waiting for a plateau. Right now I can still 'see the Matrix' and I'm having huge gains with my open guards. I'm able to 'see' what my partner is setting up, and I'm getting really smooth with my transitions and sweeps from butterfly, DLR, RDLR, and Spider guard variations.

So, once I feel my progress slow, I'll take a break and recover some. But as of now, I feel no pressure on my neck. I did stop using inverted guard and bermibolos for now to keep it safer.

My instructor is also keeping an eye on me and calling me out when he sees me trying to invert, and hasn't paired me with a white belt or someone known to be aggressive.

I feel like when I'm healed up, my guard is going to be far and beyond the rest of me game.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2014 3:13pm

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good choice. I actually got a hairline stress fracture on my third metatarsal by drilling kicks on a heavy bag with poor technique. The fact that I chose to take a break from Muay Thai for a month turned out to be a good thing, because I could have very easily ended up with a burst appendix if I had gone two weeks ago.

Posted On:
    6/04/2014 9:54pm

Style: BJJ/Zumba

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly, I think you should stop training all together. My neck/back is not something I'd every **** around with at all.

I've fucked around with knees and shoulder's hurting, but I never train when my neck has been cranked and is still fucked to turn my head. I've read the 100+ pages of the sherdog thread on heriations and surgery, ****. that. ****. They are great now at doing repairs, and fixes, but I don't want to run that risk at all.

I've got a busted up leg right now, out 2.5 months, happened in my comp takedown attempt, I want to train JiuJitsu so much, I was peaking and entered the comp feeling fucking awesome, then shattered in less than 2 minutes, freak accident, but have to take it as slow as I can to maximise my recovery, I WANT TO TRAIN FOREVER, I don't want something to **** that up so all of my focus is on the LONG TERM.

Don't let your past self **** your future self up, seriously you'll be pissed. Go in and watch classes and take notes, only takes one movement to roll badly or weird, or someone to fall on you or brace against your neck to potentially just have a freak accident and be fucked. Eh?
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Posted On:
    6/05/2014 4:25am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mr. Miyagi is correct. The thing about discs is that once damaged, they are EXTREMELY fragile during the healing phase. Even going easy during training is likely to irritate them due to the strenuous nature of grappling and will delay your return to full training.

Not going to be an enabler here. Training while injured is a much worse plateau to be on than having to relearn some guard sweeps once you're all healed up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2014 11:55am

Style: Maenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you got steve maxwell as your PT then maybe, otherwise...

send using android app
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123