My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    7/15/2014 7:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Probably worth stressing that the manifestation of the triangle concept, where uke is off balanced in a an extreme way, is really only encountered during practice.

If Kurrinoy's displacement method is, what I suspect, a variant of the oikomi or dashing in method used in Judo albeit from more inventive and complex gripping patterns/positioning, the principle behind the concept of the triangle is probably still there, just in a non-obvious way.

Good to hear you're now comfortable with your Uchi mata and it's proving effective. Although I have to say my experience of getting better at Judo is like yours, I plugged away at something without any visible incremental improvement and then boom. I woke up and suddenly all the improvements seemed to have come at once. Kind of frustrating, but kind of rewarding at the same time.
    I agree, the entry doesn't really dictate the "triangle concept".

In any case, good to hear progress being made.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/22/2014 9:32pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are you guys' most common setups for uchi mata?

Posted On:
    7/23/2014 10:35am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post
    What are you guys' most common setups for uchi mata?
    Kouchi Gari, or something resembling it (right vs right grips)

Ouchi Gari in left vs right (much more difficult, but the hooking/hopping version you have been working on is applicable).

Right vs. right, cross grip to sleeve control and high collar grip sequence while circling uke counterclockwise.

Press uke down (with sleeve control and high collar grip), hit him as he comes up with Uchi Mata, or press down and circle, press down kouchi then uchi mata, you get the idea I'm sure.

pretty standard stuff

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/23/2014 10:39am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, that's all stuff I have seen/heard. Just making sure I have an accurate list before I go try to throw people with this next week.

Getting over food poisoning right now, so I don't think I'll be doing much randori this week.

Posted On:
    7/23/2014 11:08am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Kouchi Gari, or something resembling it (right vs right grips)

Ouchi Gari in left vs right (much more difficult, but the hooking/hopping version you have been working on is applicable).

Right vs. right, cross grip to sleeve control and high collar grip sequence while circling uke counterclockwise.

Press uke down (with sleeve control and high collar grip), hit him as he comes up with Uchi Mata, or press down and circle, press down kouchi then uchi mata, you get the idea I'm sure.

pretty standard stuff
    That should have been "circling uke CLOCKWISE", dammit. Me and my directional dyslexia...

Posted On:
    7/23/2014 11:10am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post
    Yeah, that's all stuff I have seen/heard. Just making sure I have an accurate list before I go try to throw people with this next week.

Getting over food poisoning right now, so I don't think I'll be doing much randori this week.
    Hopefully you won't lose too much conditioning. It never failed me, whenever I neared the end of a training cycle to prep for a shiai, I'd get sick as a dog. Happened after spending an entire late spring and then summer prepping for a national level event...entire carefully periodized training program blown to **** by one little virus.

Posted On:
    7/23/2014 11:16am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always found that Uchi Mata required me to "shape" uke body to be a bit bent over, although not extremely so. It's like I needed uke to kind of have his middle hollowed out and upper body kind of curved to the front a bit. If you can get a strong, dominant grip, as you seem to like to do from the video I've seen of you, a kind of "double pump forward", slight push back, hesitate, then enter works pretty well. I learned that from a coach from Tokai University, and I've seen Kosei Inoue and others from Tokai do it in high level shiai successfully.

Realize that Uchi Mata was not really my "go to" throwing technique, but in certain situations I could pull it off. I did train it a lot, though, and my sensei was very, very good at it both technically and in competition. So I got tossed with it enough to learn by osmosis, I suppose.

Posted On:
    7/23/2014 11:17am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which contest you headed to ?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/23/2014 11:58am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uchi mata has never been my thing, either. That's why I wanted it to be picked apart here. Kata guruma, yoko otoshi, te guruma... Those have historically been my throws, although ura nage is my highest % throw in judo comp.

I won't be competing for a while, but I'm helping two other players at the club get ready for sambo Pan-Ams in Trinidad. They're both sooo good. I hope they do well.

I am leaving next week for Cyprus, though, to be certified as an international referee for sambo. Although I will continue to compete until my limbs fall off, I'm old enough now where I'm considering other roles in the sport (such as refereeing), trying to coach as best as possible, and when I do compete, it's at whatever weight I'm walking around at. Maybe I'll be like the Azerbaijani judoka and come in for 81kg at 5'7", LOL.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/23/2014 12:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the topic of getting sick before comps, though, that happens to me almost every time. And I always get a little under-the-weather after long plane rides back to the States.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 10 LastLast