Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/07/2014 5:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post

Not sure this is the best angle. I did this slowly to make sure I was being mindful of the mechanics.
    That's a greatly improved Uchi mata, although it would have been better to see multiple throws to help pick up any issues.

Ben highighted the falling back after the technique, my read on that is that going so slowly meant you had to load bear uke for an unusual length of time, which caused the stumble backwards, but I may be wrong.

Other than that it looked a good step in the right direction and without further angles/ more repitions I think you're on the right path and just need to keep practicing.

Posted On:
    5/07/2014 5:31pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoratt View Post
    Try to move your attacking leg/foot 10 to 12 inches to your right and step deeper with your planting leg while leaving your attacking leg behind. The uchimata looks good!
    Be interested to know why he should step deeper with the planted leg. My experience is that stepping deep is a positive hinderance for people learning a technique as they tend to crash their hips into uke and spoil their own kuzushi by rocking uke back onto their heels.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    5/07/2014 5:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    That's a greatly improved Uchi Mata, although it would have been better to see multiple throws to help pick up any issues.

Ben highlighted the falling back after the technique, my read on that is that going so slowly meant you had to load bear uke for an unusual length of time, which caused the stumble backwards, but I may be wrong.

Other than that it looked a good step in the right direction and without further angles/ more repetitions I think you're on the right path and just need to keep practicing.
    Yeah, going slow is usually much more difficult and requires more skill. Not wanting to throw uke hard does that too. I think both of those were going on in the video.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/07/2014 5:58pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't mind throwing Danil hard. He's Russian. Built for it.
    I was going slowly to make sure I had chest contact every time, and could deliberately feel uke load.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2014 9:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The uchimata is a nice classic uchimata, Blackmonk has listened well. The two issues
    1 moving the attacking foot to the right will clear room for the planting leg to be centered and step a little deeper. If one steps a little deeper and leaves the attacking leg behind until the upper body contact is 100% and the leg folows the throw. One of the main problems I see with people learning uchimata is that they try to throw with their leg and don't get the upper body contact.
    This may be a little over kill with leaving the leg behind but it is the best way I have found to teach noobes the upper body contact needed to do a classic uchimata. We have a High school program here and I have taught this to three month students in about a half an hour with surprising success.
    If blackmonk came to me and was doing that uchimata and asked for advice the first thing I would say is "it looks pretty good to me".

Posted On:
    5/08/2014 10:34am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoratt View Post
    The uchimata is a nice classic uchimata, Blackmonk has listened well. The two issues
    1 moving the attacking foot to the right will clear room for the planting leg to be centered and step a little deeper. If one steps a little deeper and leaves the attacking leg behind until the upper body contact is 100% and the leg folows the throw. One of the main problems I see with people learning uchimata is that they try to throw with their leg and don't get the upper body contact.
    This may be a little over kill with leaving the leg behind but it is the best way I have found to teach noobes the upper body contact needed to do a classic uchimata. We have a High school program here and I have taught this to three month students in about a half an hour with surprising success.
    If blackmonk came to me and was doing that uchimata and asked for advice the first thing I would say is "it looks pretty good to me".
    I often find that having students over then under exaggerate a movement or position, or moving to a position get them to the middle ground of "just about right". Telling someone to go to a specific point without context or experience of the extremes isn't often realistic (depends on student, though). It's easy to forget that as teachers we already have internalized "just right".

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/08/2014 9:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wasn't able to do a lot of reps tonight, as I was helping a friend, who is new to the sports, work her way through the dai ikkyo.

I attempted the uchi mata more to the right, though, and was able to achieve decent throws every other attempt or so. I'll get video tomorrow.

Posted On:
    5/09/2014 12:01pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wasn't able to do a lot of reps tonight, as I was helping a friend, who is new to the sports, work her way through the dai ikkyo.

I attempted the uchi mata more to the right, though, and was able to achieve decent throws every other attempt or so. I'll get video tomorrow.

Eventually you will find that you can do Uchi Mata from different combinations of positions and angles, different movement patterns, once you get the basics down well enough.

Looking forward to video.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/12/2014 6:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After some adjustments, I finally started hitting uchi mata. It's big. Effortless.

However, it is from the "swamp boot" entry that I think I mentioned earlier in this thread. I will post a video. It is how Igor Kurinnoy teaches his guys in Moscow. This version involves moving into and displacing uke, rather than pulling him out and over the "triangle".

I'm glad that it is finally, really, truly mine, but sorta frustrated (in a weird way) that it went from not working to working, without a whole lot of intermediary progress.

Posted On:
    7/15/2014 4:51pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After some adjustments, I finally started hitting uchi mata. It's big. Effortless.

However, it is from the "swamp boot" entry that I think I mentioned earlier in this thread. I will post a video. It is how Igor Kurinnoy teaches his guys in Moscow. This version involves moving into and displacing uke, rather than pulling him out and over the "triangle".

I'm glad that it is finally, really, truly mine, but sorta frustrated (in a weird way) that it went from not working to working, without a whole lot of intermediary progress.
    Probably worth stressing that the manifestation of the triangle concept, where uke is off balanced in a an extreme way, is really only encountered during practice.

If Kurrinoy's displacement method is, what I suspect, a variant of the oikomi or dashing in method used in Judo albeit from more inventive and complex gripping patterns/positioning, the principle behind the concept of the triangle is probably still there, just in a non-obvious way.

Good to hear you're now comfortable with your Uchi mata and it's proving effective. Although I have to say my experience of getting better at Judo is like yours, I plugged away at something without any visible incrimental improvement and then boom. I woke up and suddenly all the improvements seemed to have come at once. Kind of frustrating, but kind of rewarding at the same time.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 910 LastLast