Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/22/2014 7:50am

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Don't know about sambo rules but for judo the best you could hope for is waza-ari with that style.
    4 points in sambo, because it would be complete back exposure to the mat. If I were to throw and remain standing, then it would be total victory, which is sort of an equivalent to ippon.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/22/2014 9:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, so today I was getting chest contact, but still having trouble getting the lift. My training partner (who was nailing it, bastard) said that he felt I was too far away, and that my inner reap was making contact too low on the leg... He also indicated that maybe I wasn't rotating enough with the kuzushi.

Not sure what needs fixing.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/23/2014 9:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    One of the main problems people run into with uchimata is the lapel hand. The main reason is because they don't start turning uke as they enter. The T shape created by the shoulders needs to be maintained.

A really simple fix is to abandon the lapel and get the under hook as you enter for the throw. After you get a better feel with the under hook learning and developing the lapel hand will come easier because you are no longer getting caught up when attempting the throw.

My next recommendation is to not roll through but work on throwing uke at your feet.
    I've noticed this too. One of my students started doing the underhook naturally in response to getting caught up, as you put it, by/with the lapel hand, partly due to his having very sore shoulders and not being physically developed yet in his upper body.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    4/23/2014 9:56am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post
    Ok, so today I was getting chest contact, but still having trouble getting the lift. My training partner (who was nailing it, bastard) said that he felt I was too far away, and that my inner reap was making contact too low on the leg... He also indicated that maybe I wasn't rotating enough with the kuzushi.

Whenever I hear "not enough lift", I think, "why do you want to lift uke and fight gravity?" I get "total victory" you are looking for, however, lifting uke any more than necessary is pretty much a waste of energy.

To put what judoratt and judokaUK wrote in a bit different terms, my thought on Uchi Mata is that you want uke to be supported on your body (the "chest to chest from hips to ribs etc advice), then you rotate (and yes sometimes lift a bit) to throw uke. It is difficult to describe, as it is a kineasthetic "feeling" that I get when I get it right. In a sense, I feel uke "leaning against me", to get that feeling/position, I have to kind of "bend my back" as in an Uki Goshi kind of position/action. If you try to rotate uke too soon, that won't happen, which is what the angling that judoratt and UK were describing. Maybe a good way to put it is "don't turn too soon".

Gotta get to work, keep on it !

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/23/2014 12:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had very little problem working with the underhook last night. It was, at very least, a decent throw almost every rep.

I really want to get that lapel grip, though, because very few people let me get an underhook on them... high collar or over-the-back, all the time. However, I couldn't seem to get as decent of a throw out of those higher grips.

Posted On:
    4/23/2014 4:15pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had very little problem working with the underhook last night. It was, at very least, a decent throw almost every rep.

I really want to get that lapel grip, though, because very few people let me get an underhook on them... high collar or over-the-back, all the time. However, I couldn't seem to get as decent of a throw out of those higher grips.
    The high collar works because of head control and less pressure on the shoulder (in my experience at least). I agree about the underhook, it's tough to get on anyone with much experience or skill. As a transition to the lapel, it may help you to get the feel of the positioning better, though.

Over the back has a different dynamic to it for Uchi Mata, so I can see it being an issue.

With the high collar grip, pull towards you instead of away, it will help to lock uke to you. I kind of pull my hand towards my right pec (lapel hand, would be your left hand for a left side throw), instead of lifting. You can get "psuedo lift" by lowering your body as you enter.

Once you get the body contact, you dont' have to load uke on your hip, you can do the inside of thigh hit with your leg (BTW), depending on the angle and other conditions.

The high collar works because of head control and less pressure on the shoulder (in my experience at least). I agree about the underhook, it's tough to get on anyone with much experience or skill. As a transition to the lapel, it may help you to get the feel of the positioning better, though.

Over the back has a different dynamic to it for Uchi Mata, so I can see it being an issue.

With the high collar grip, pull towards you instead of away, it will help to lock uke to you. I kind of pull my hand towards my right pec (lapel hand, would be your left hand for a left side throw), instead of lifting. You can get "psuedo lift" by lowering your body as you enter.

Once you get the body contact, you dont' have to load uke on your hip, you can do the inside of thigh hit with your leg (BTW), depending on the angle and other conditions.

Posted On:
    4/23/2014 6:51pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Moar Video would help...

Moar Video would help...

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/23/2014 7:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll get some video tomorrow.

Posted On:
    4/25/2014 1:46pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool, looking forward to seeing it.

In your OP, I noticed you were entering from far outside. I understand that may be a consequence of the common type o Uchi Mata you referred to being used in Sambo a lot, plus opposite grip situation. Starting from a more standard postural position will help you get the basics down.

BTW, Judoratt is in your area, you might attempt to work with him on the Uchi Mata. He's really, really, good at it and an excellent coach/teacher.

Posted On:
    4/25/2014 6:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I suspect that the reason the underhook is easier is because by the very nature of the grip it forces chest contact. Most people can't underhook an uke's armpit without bringing uke's chest and their chest into either complete contact or very near contact.

This is why people might conside underhooking a 'cheat' because it simplifies the chest contact aspect of the technique, which requires more skill when done from sleeve and lapel.

I think an updated video is probably the best way of helping you progress.

Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    BTW, Judoratt is in your area, you might attempt to work with him on the Uchi Mata. He's really, really, good at it and an excellent coach/teacher.
    I'd agree with Ben here, Blackmonk.

If you're in a reasonable travel distance of Judoratt and he has the time to spend helping you, I'd very much recommend doing that.

I spent several years watching my coach teach Uchi mata and doing huge lifting Uchi matas in demos and randoris without being able to do them myself until I went on a session taught by his coach Neil Adams where Neil taught and stressed the chest contact piece and, without exaggeration, from that moment everything else finally fell into place and I was able to do a semi-decent Uchi mata.

My Uchi mata is still not what I would like it to be, but it's a million miles from the bastardised hoppy thing I did before and that's almost all done to understanding the chest contact and of course benefitting from the attention of someone who not only truly understands the technique, but can communicate the key elements to beginners, which Judoratt can.

I suspect that the reason the underhook is easier is because by the very nature of the grip it forces chest contact. Most people can't underhook an uke's armpit without bringing uke's chest and their chest into either complete contact or very near contact.

This is why people might conside underhooking a 'cheat' because it simplifies the chest contact aspect of the technique, which requires more skill when done from sleeve and lapel.

I think an updated video is probably the best way of helping you progress.

Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I'd agree with Ben here, Blackmonk.

If you're in a reasonable travel distance of Judoratt and he has the time to spend helping you, I'd very much recommend doing that.

I spent several years watching my coach teach Uchi mata and doing huge lifting Uchi matas in demos and randoris without being able to do them myself until I went on a session taught by his coach Neil Adams where Neil taught and stressed the chest contact piece and, without exaggeration, from that moment everything else finally fell into place and I was able to do a semi-decent Uchi mata.

My Uchi mata is still not what I would like it to be, but it's a million miles from the bastardised hoppy thing I did before and that's almost all done to understanding the chest contact and of course benefitting from the attention of someone who not only truly understands the technique, but can communicate the key elements to beginners, which Judoratt can.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast