Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/20/2014 6:37pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know how to respond to that, as it sounds partially condescending. Maybe it isn't, though.

I just said that I think it has to do with trying to achieve chest contact, and thus displacing uke, in a sense.

Furthermore, I have had one practice tachiwaza practice since absorbing your advice. It might take a few.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/20/2014 6:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also initially misinterpreted what chest contact entailed, so it wasn't working during uchikomi. Now that I've reread the posts, and watched video, I have a better understanding.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2014 10:16pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like UK has written the book great advice and one of the best uchimats ever for demo. Two points I would like to expand on.
    !. Chest to chest is not square on notice Inoue's entrance is almost 90 degrees but it is critical to have uke tight from the ribs all the way down to the hip.

2. The attacking leg "right for a righty stays behind until the chest contact is 100%. You can see this in the last Photo in the 5th post.

Find a video of Inoue doing his uchimata and it should answer most of your questions.

BTW I hope UK doesn't kick my ass for stepping in.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    4/21/2014 7:12am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the main problems people run into with uchimata is the lapel hand. The main reason is because they don't start turning uke as they enter. The T shape created by the shoulders needs to be maintained.

A really simple fix is to abandon the lapel and get the under hook as you enter for the throw. After you get a better feel with the under hook learning and developing the lapel hand will come easier because you are no longer getting caught up when attempting the throw.

My next recommendation is to not roll through but work on throwing uke at your feet.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/21/2014 9:04am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will try it with an underhook as well.

I just want to get better at the throw, because I see the opportunity for it all the time, probably more than any other. And most ideally, for sambo, I would throw them without the roll-through, because then it would be total victory.

Posted On:
    4/21/2014 9:08am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't know about sambo rules but for judo the best you could hope for is waza-ari with that style.

Posted On:
    4/21/2014 4:55pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post
    I don't know how to respond to that, as it sounds partially condescending. Maybe it isn't, though.
    I didn't intend it to be condescending, it's just that over the internet unless you get feedback along the lines of:

You suggested X, I tried X and it didn't work because of Y. Or I tried X and got results, but still strugled with Z. It's difficult to give constructive advice, one of the downsides of trying to coach over the web.

Quote Originally Posted by judoratt View Post
    Looks like UK has written the book great advice and one of the best uchimats ever for demo. Two points I would like to expand on.
    !. Chest to chest is not square on notice Inoue's entrance is almost 90 degrees but it is critical to have uke tight from the ribs all the way down to the hip.

2. The attacking leg "right for a righty stays behind until the chest contact is 100%. You can see this in the last Photo in the 5th post.

Find a video of Inoue doing his uchimata and it should answer most of your questions.

BTW I hope UK doesn't kick my ass for stepping in.
    In all things Uchi mata I defer to Judoratt, as my Uchi Mata isn't much cop, I just know some of the key pointers for how to get your Uchi mata in the right ball park.
    Last edited by judoka_uk; 4/21/2014 4:59pm at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/21/2014 6:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Simply put, chest contact is my biggest problem right now. I am all kinds of flexible, but it was tweaking my elbow on my entry in a very uncomfortable way.

I think one of the other posters here nailed it, though, and pointed out that it isn't chest-to-chest contact, but simply contact with uke's chest

Simply put, chest contact is my biggest problem right now. I am all kinds of flexible, but it was tweaking my elbow on my entry in a very uncomfortable way.

I think one of the other posters here nailed it, though, and pointed out that it isn't chest-to-chest contact, but simply contact with uke's chest

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2014 7:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=blackmonk;2821889]Simply put, chest contact is my biggest problem right now. I am all kinds of flexible, but it was tweaking my elbow on my entry in a very uncomfortable way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2014 7:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post

You could still call it chest to chest but the contact of the far side of the pictorial muscle and the ribs under the arm. The upper body contact is the key before the leg comes in. This is a classic uchimata and has all the basics of the throw once you learn this you can do so many variations, but if you don't get the basics down the others won't work well at all. Good luck
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast