Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/19/2014 7:29am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I've developed my own fighting style. I call it Kwon Do. It's a combination of boxing and what I've learned through streetfighting." - Some guy on Rotteneggs.com, circa 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    One of the most impressive examples I can think of was a system founded in the '70s and '80s by Dr. William Paul, a clinical psychologist, judo 5th dan and CMA expert. Paul's system was a specifically nonviolent method of self-defense, balance control and safe restraint. It was designed for psychiatric workers who were professionally and ethically required to use minimal force in restraining people who were not responsible for their own actions.

What he developed - a combination of numerous original drills with basic CMA partner work and modified judo, plus skillful applied conflict resolution tactics - was legitimized by effectively fulfilling the niche it was designed for. I think much the same can be said for other "new" styles, whether they're designed for sport, recreation etc.
    Sounds like a good PitFighting style.

Posted On:
    4/19/2014 9:25am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
    One could argue that any new style is "merely" a personal implementation or personal application of techniques and methods gathered, yes?

It seems unlikely for anyone to come up with a "system" or new "art" in a complete vacuum.
    There's plenty of those: "I have combined the best of karate, aikido, and tae kwon do, into my new martial art!" Translation: I have taken karate, aikido, and tae kwon do.

I typically don't care much for them, because so what? Why should such a collection be considered a new style? What big change occured that should make anyone take notice?

Now, something like 7-stars mantis kung fu - the founder supposedly added influences from 18 different contemporary styles to build his art, and it is idiosyncratic; even a layman can see there's a particular way to the movement.

Then we look at 8-step mantis. The founder of that style felt there were two areas that needed development: footwork, and throws. From the 7-stars basis, he made the expanded footwork syllabus a main part of the style, and added in a wide variety of throws taken from shuai jiao. Still looks like mantis, but the founder had a clear reason for his new method.

I've seen arts come from someone with no training before. I would characterize them as ... sub-optimal.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2014 11:11am

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say Dave Camarrillo and Eddie Bravo are both examples of people who have created their own 'styles' of BJJ.

Neither of them are claiming or (as far as I am aware) credited for creating a whole new art, but are recognized for their approach to it.

I think the recognition comes in part from competing and training competitors
    who can prove or disprove the training methods they espouse through competition. Same can be said for Kano or Helio Gracie.

I think the area becomes a lot greyer when there is no venue to test the merits of your style.
    Last edited by BJMills; 4/19/2014 11:16am at .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12