Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Style
    HEMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Why You Should Make Your Own Protein Powder (And How)

Why You Should Make Your Own Protein Powder (And How)

I'm no fan of the supplement industry which should become increasingly clear as you read this article. Most products are useless for most people and are only actually beneficial if you have a deficiency, in other words if your diet is in check supplementation will offer you no additional benefits (with a few minor exceptions). Protein is no exception, there is a limit to how much your body can utilise and if you're already getting enough through your diet then extra protein gets converted in to glucose by the body and effectively becomes an expensive source of carbs.

Of course the supplement industry doesn't admit this and due to athletes and mainstream fitness publications receiving a huge chunk of their paychecks from the industry it's rarely something which is acknowledged by them either.

That being said protein powder can be beneficial at certain times:

When you're cutting weight there is some evidence to show higher protein consumption can help you retain muscle mass.
    Protein powder can be beneficial for those who struggle to eat enough/consume enough protein.
    If you're not sure if you're consuming enough protein then a shake per day can be a good way to guarantee you're getting enough.

There is another problem however, the supplement industry (and many supporting industries) cannot be trusted.

1. They lie about about how much protein is in their products. A South African study of 70 products found that the vast majority of products had less protein than they claimed, Two of them by over 75%! The mean however was about 10% which is inline with natural variability of milk powder and whey (the most common protein sources used). This problem is far from unique to South Africa, it's hard to know the extent of the problem but given how many other cases of this I've seen I wouldn't be surprised to learn South Africa is fairly typical in this regard.

https:[email protected]/s...143#.x8tcitqj7
    https://www.naturalstacks.com/blogs/...t-label-claims

2. Protein spiking. In essence this is a technique used to increase the amount of protein they can show on a label or increase the amount of protein which will appear when their product is tested by adding cheaper loose amino acids which offer little to no benefit to the consumer.

Complete proteins contain 20 different amino acids and you need an adequate amount of each to build muscle. To use an analogy imagine you wanted to build as many cars as you could and a supplier offered you 20 tons of random car parts but included 5 tons of tyres because they were cheap and enabled him to advertise 20 tons rather than 15. These extra tyres wouldn't enable you to build more cars if you didn't have enough engines, exhausts etc.

http://www.jimstoppani.com/home/arti...piking?preview (presenting this source doesn't mean I endorse Jim's supplements)

3. Remember your retarded obese uncle who's never seen the inside of a gym and told you protein powder is a steroid? Well in some cases he might actually be right. Many supplement companies have been caught spiking their products with performance enhancing drugs. Sometimes they do this temporarily to build hype for their products before removing it in later batches.

Some of you may read this and think this makes them good products to buy but if you really must take drugs you'd be better off buying them yourself and getting 5 times the results for a fraction of the price.

http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/...s-lab-director
    http://taylorhooton.org/some-manufac...with-steroids/
    http://www.vox.com/a/supplements

And this is of course ignoring the shady marketing tactics and biased research they churn out on a daily basis!

I'd like to be able to say "but don't worry here are some fantastic honest supplement companies I'd recommend...." but I can't. I'm sure there are some honest supplement companies out there but there's no way of knowing whether they are telling the truth or simply haven't been caught bullshitting yet. Hell if I did recommend a brand I'd want you to strongly consider the possibility that I was being paid off!

So what is the solution?

Those of you with IQs over 90 should already know what I'm going to say from reading the title but I recommend making your own!

It's dead simple. The recipe I use is:

500g milk powder
    20 grams of sugar
    20 grams sucralose based sweetener
    Chocolate powder to taste.

Just mix it all together, the whole process takes less than a minute.

There are a number of benefits to making your own.

1. You know pretty much exactly what you're getting!

2. The protein content is just over 30% which is certainly towards the low end of what's claimed by protein powders but it's plenty high enough and still beats nearly every protein powder in price per gram of protein. The protein it does have is also extremely high quality with an amino acid score of 137.

3. This is somewhat subjective but I think it tastes great and mixes as well or better than any protein powder I've tried.

4. More quality micro nutrients (vitamins and minerals) than most commercial powders. Good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, Potassium and Selenium, and a very good source of Protein, Vitamin D, Riboflavin, Calcium and Phosphorus.

5. You're not giving money to a corrupt industry (well not as corrupt as the supplement industry at least).

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...-products/84/2

Give it a go yourself.
    Last edited by Jim Giant; 7/26/2016 7:26pm at .

Style
    Pumping iron
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This should be mainpage'd!
    go to http://www.bullshido.net/forums/prof...do=editoptions > under Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Style
    HEMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    This should be mainpage'd!
    Thanks. I've got no objection to it being mainpage'd. Anything I have to do to facilitate that? I've probably made a bunch of spelling and grammar mistakes though. Going to have a proof read.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about for those of us who are lactose intolerant ?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Giant View Post
    Thanks. I've got no objection to it being mainpage'd. Anything I have to do to facilitate that? I've probably made a bunch of spelling and grammar mistakes though. Going to have a proof read.
    This is a great post, and I've recommended it up the chain. Only thing you can do to help is maybe find a pic or three to compliment the read.

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Use egg white powder instead (caesin).

Style
    HEMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Time has expired to edit but maybe use these pics?

I'd like to help but I don't want to recommend anything until I've tried it myself and evaluated cost and macro ratios.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Start with lactose free milk? Or maybe some of that A2 milk?
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm lactose-intolerant, so...

-I've used lactose free milk for years with no ill-effect.

-My local supplement store (Supplement Giant, because you really can't be too on the nose about these things) and I had a lengthy discussion about it. I ended up taking a sample of a Whey protein isolate. It worked great. I guess ideally, a proper manufactured isolate shouldn't contain lactose, unless your inability to digest it is the stuff of legend.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Use egg white powder instead (caesin).
    Nope, Casein (/ˈkeɪs.ɪn/ or /ˈkeɪˌsiːn/, from Latin caseus, "cheese") is the name for a family of related phosphoproteins (αS1, αS2, β, κ). These proteins are commonly found in mammalian milk, making up 80% of the proteins in cow's milk and between 20% and 45% of the proteins in human milk.

I guess that wasn't on your EMT exam...]

How about I just eat eggs ? My ducks and chickens supply ample amounts in the summer, and I can buy local eggs all winter.

Ever had pickled eggs? They are delicious.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last