Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Question on knee injury

Hey folks.

I blew my knee out pretty hard about 2 weeks ago now. I was grappling in wrestling shoes, in a stand up clinch situation, going for tai ogoshi I believe is the judo term. Guy stepped around my leg and tried to take me over from back side clinch, I tried to resquare up by turning in. ..everything but the left knee made the turn.

Cue a loud click in the side of my knee, which had sustained dislocation before, but this feels different. I've gotten some range of motion back, straightening the leg works again. But I am having trouble pushing with the leg, and motions mimicking butterfly guard are painful to just unusable due to stiffness in the joint.

Now to the question. .. am I screwed? Do I need to go to the doc? I usually just baby these things for a couple weeks and then ignore, but this feels a little different. Folks who have torn an acl or mcl, what does that feel like?

Basically, I'm trying to avoid spending money on a doc unless I'm seriously messed up and the knee won't heal itself. Maybe someone who has experience with the difference between a small pop in the knee and a torn tendon could make an educated guess?

Darn thing is still swollen after ice and heat for weeks. Then again, I'm a security supervisor and do a lot of walking, so maybe it's just the lack of rest on it?

Sorry for the long post. Old war stories about knee injuries and their rehabilitation are also more than welcome. For context, I'm 28, and just started training in a real way 3 months ago after being sedentary for 3 years following a herniated disk in the back and I have been hitting it as hard as my body will allow, which was about 9 to 15 hours a week of BJJ and striking training.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seek qualified medical advice.
    (hint: That means in person.)

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sigh

Chen is correct of course. But that makes for a less interesting thread. Maybe it wasn't going to be interesting any how though.

Anyone want to speculate on the consequences of me just ignoring this and hoping my leg heals on it's own? That's my current game plan.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramirezmma View Post
    Anyone want to speculate on the consequences of me just ignoring this and hoping my leg heals on it's own? That's my current game plan.
    gangrene resulting in amputation
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    Muay Thai / BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It will either get better, stay the same or get worse.

I went months with a torn MCL and I didn't realize it (I wasn't training at the time) but it was sore walking across the parking lot to get to work. Had the surgery and after rehab it was as good as new.

I injured it again last year. This time I immediately went to the doc. Torn Meniscus. I did Physical therapy and after a month it felt good and strong again. Tried going back to Muay Thai but I didn't keep doing knee exercises and within a few weeks it felt bad again. I'm not in terrible pain, but it's sore. It needs surgery.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sigh

Chen is correct of course. But that makes for a less interesting thread. Maybe it wasn't going to be interesting any how though.

Better question: why would a person not seek care from a quality care provider when they are in need?
    You don't go to the Dr.'s office to learn a double leg do you?

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim520 View Post
    It will either get better, stay the same or get worse.

I went months with a torn MCL and I didn't realize it (I wasn't training at the time) but it was sore walking across the parking lot to get to work. Had the surgery and after rehab it was as good as new.

I injured it again last year. This time I immediately went to the doc. Torn Meniscus. I did Physical therapy and after a month it felt good and strong again. Tried going back to Muay Thai but I didn't keep doing knee exercises and within a few weeks it felt bad again. I'm not in terrible pain, but it's sore. It needs surgery.
    I read:
    Mcl's will repair themselves even if they rupture 99% of the time. Acl's will not because they can't clot because of the fluid surrounding the route of the ligament.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sigh

I would suck it up and go see a dr. It might hurt your wallet a little but you know its better to make sure everything heals right the 1st time.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    MMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've only ever pulled an lcl , and have bursitis in my knees, but will say googling and hearing horror stories about others' knee injuries can be pretty disheartening, especially if you're bummed about not training.

Be as optimistic as you can . Do your RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation), and allow time. There should be a little improvement in 2 weeks, but probably no where enough to get back on the mats. I had to take 6 weeks off with the mentioned injuries, but that was also after battling through competitions with them as well.....if you're too long on the mend, try and do what you can to get to a physio or doc for a peice of mind.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, what CPF said - see a real doctor. Swelling after weeks (days, even) of home remedy means you probably have a "real," problem that can't be fixed without professional medical intervention.

Some people can learn to train around their injuries. For my part, I have recurring bursitis in my right shoulder, and in the past 6 months, I've suffered a pop in my right MCL and a pop in my left elbow. It sounds like BS, but from personal experience RICE is really great, especially if you start as soon as the injury occurs. There are situations that I don't want my elbow, or my knee, or my shoulder in - so I've adapted my game to minimize exposure to those areas. This strategy keeps me on the mats, for now. Again, this isn't advice. The advice is go see your doctor, and soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last