Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    20
    Style
    TKD, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This was a little while back, but I had heard some people talking about potential rule changes with regard to awarding ippon for landing "flat" on the back vs "rolling" onto the back, and since people tend to drag their opponents to the ground it would make seoi otoshi more difficult to score with and therefore not worth going for. Again, this was a while back and I've been out of the loop for a while, but maybe that has something to do with it?

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    27
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I heard what Dracula said as well. There are no more "rolling Ippon". I had heard that everyone was moving toward speed, control and uke landing on their back for an ippon. Those standards would make it difficult for seoi otoshi to get an ippon regardless of what rules the tournament is playing by.

  3. #13
    NeilG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    1,837
    Style
    Kendo
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A good seoi otoshi can absolutely get ippon. The sucky ones you see most of the time no longer can, this is a Good Thing.

  4. #14
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    11,894
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interpretation of what is or is not ippon isn't a rule change, guys. It's an interpretation.

    Correct, no more "rolling ippon". And that is a good thing! Like NeilG noted, though,
    Seoi Otoshi can score ippon, and what's wrong with Waza Ari ?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    21
    Style
    Judo
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nanka put out notice a little while ago. It is for juniors only. I'm not in Nanka or the JF, so I don't know any more, but it is posted on their site.
    http://www.nankajudo.com/files/2014E...p_Seoinage.pdf
    Last edited by Lincoln5; 4/28/2014 12:58am at . Reason: to add link

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    604
    Style
    Judo noob, injured guy.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln5 View Post
    Nanka put out notice a little while ago. It is for juniors only. I'm not in Nanka or the JF, so I don't know any more, but it is posted on their site.
    http://www.nankajudo.com/files/2014E...p_Seoinage.pdf
    Yah, I finally talked with my coach about it and he said it was juniors ban only. As suspected they are trying to stop kids from just faceplanting each other with poor technique. Interestingly, there was a tournament yesterday and a surprising number of the Juniors looked lost without their seoi otoshi and ended up just grabbing a collar grip and flopping around a while.

  7. #17
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    11,894
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    Yah, I finally talked with my coach about it and he said it was juniors ban only. As suspected they are trying to stop kids from just faceplanting each other with poor technique. Interestingly, there was a tournament yesterday and a surprising number of the Juniors looked lost without their seoi otoshi and ended up just grabbing a collar grip and flopping around a while.
    It's a developmental thing as well. Early dependence on Seoi Otoshi tends to stunt development of other throws. Little Janie/Johnnie can win with Seoi Otoshi, so why bother with anything else.

    I've seen it time and time again. Too much emphasis on competition at too young an age is the problem.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    604
    Style
    Judo noob, injured guy.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    It's a developmental thing as well. Early dependence on Seoi Otoshi tends to stunt development of other throws. Little Janie/Johnnie can win with Seoi Otoshi, so why bother with anything else.

    I've seen it time and time again. Too much emphasis on competition at too young an age is the problem.
    Absolutely. There seoi otoshi floppers were completely powerless when their knee drop didn't work. The players with better standing throws and explosive groundwork were taking them to task (which was satisfying to watch).

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO