Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2014 3:43pm

Style: Taekwon-Do, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This was a little while back, but I had heard some people talking about potential rule changes with regard to awarding ippon for landing "flat" on the back vs "rolling" onto the back, and since people tend to drag their opponents to the ground it would make seoi otoshi more difficult to score with and therefore not worth going for. Again, this was a while back and I've been out of the loop for a while, but maybe that has something to do with it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2014 4:38pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I heard what Dracula said as well. There are no more "rolling Ippon". I had heard that everyone was moving toward speed, control and uke landing on their back for an ippon. Those standards would make it difficult for seoi otoshi to get an ippon regardless of what rules the tournament is playing by.

Posted On:
    4/14/2014 6:18pm

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A good seoi otoshi can absolutely get ippon. The sucky ones you see most of the time no longer can, this is a Good Thing.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/16/2014 9:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interpretation of what is or is not ippon isn't a rule change, guys. It's an interpretation.

Correct, no more "rolling ippon". And that is a good thing! Like NeilG noted, though,
    Seoi Otoshi can score ippon, and what's wrong with Waza Ari ?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2014 12:52am

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nanka put out notice a little while ago. It is for juniors only. I'm not in Nanka or the JF, so I don't know any more, but it is posted on their site.
    http://www.nankajudo.com/files/2014E...p_Seoinage.pdf
    Last edited by Lincoln5; 4/28/2014 12:58am at . Reason: to add link

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2014 10:00am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln5 View Post
    Nanka put out notice a little while ago. It is for juniors only. I'm not in Nanka or the JF, so I don't know any more, but it is posted on their site.
    http://www.nankajudo.com/files/2014E...p_Seoinage.pdf
    Yah, I finally talked with my coach about it and he said it was juniors ban only. As suspected they are trying to stop kids from just faceplanting each other with poor technique. Interestingly, there was a tournament yesterday and a surprising number of the Juniors looked lost without their seoi otoshi and ended up just grabbing a collar grip and flopping around a while.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/28/2014 7:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    Yah, I finally talked with my coach about it and he said it was juniors ban only. As suspected they are trying to stop kids from just faceplanting each other with poor technique. Interestingly, there was a tournament yesterday and a surprising number of the Juniors looked lost without their seoi otoshi and ended up just grabbing a collar grip and flopping around a while.
    It's a developmental thing as well. Early dependence on Seoi Otoshi tends to stunt development of other throws. Little Janie/Johnnie can win with Seoi Otoshi, so why bother with anything else.

I've seen it time and time again. Too much emphasis on competition at too young an age is the problem.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2014 5:37pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    It's a developmental thing as well. Early dependence on Seoi Otoshi tends to stunt development of other throws. Little Janie/Johnnie can win with Seoi Otoshi, so why bother with anything else.

I've seen it time and time again. Too much emphasis on competition at too young an age is the problem.
    Absolutely. There seoi otoshi floppers were completely powerless when their knee drop didn't work. The players with better standing throws and explosive groundwork were taking them to task (which was satisfying to watch).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12