Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 10:24am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

More Judo rule changes?

My wife came back from Judo saying that there is a now a ban on drop-knee seoi-nage (and I assume by extension seoi-otoshi) in competition. Is this a new rule from the IJF? I know California uses their own rule set sometimes so maybe its a local thing, I was just surprised to hear about the change.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 11:07am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i don't think that is correct. there are new rules about false attacks, but no banning of seoi otoshi.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 12:19pm

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why would they ban that? That is one of the first forward throws that I learned, and one of the first things that comes to mind when I hear the phrase "judo throw."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 12:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Must just be a local thing, or even an in-dojo policy. I'm not sure. I know my wife was ironically injured slightly when someone used a drop seoi against our coach's instructions.

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 3:16pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    Must just be a local thing, or even an in-dojo policy. I'm not sure. I know my wife was ironically injured slightly when someone used a drop seoi against our coach's instructions.
    we don't allow seoi otoshi on anyone under brown belt (no makikomi or sacrifice throws either) due to too many injuries, but that's just a safety thing, because people don't know how to take the throws (by brown belt, you need to have figured that part out.)
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 3:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    we don't allow seoi otoshi on anyone under brown belt (no makikomi or sacrifice throws either) due to too many injuries, but that's just a safety thing, because people don't know how to take the throws (by brown belt, you need to have figured that part out.)
    Yah I have had events where it was banned for juniors or lower belts. I will have to ask about it when I get back to class, something might have been lost in translation (my wife is, admittedly, a very fresh white belt).

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 11:23pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    Yah I have had events where it was banned for juniors or lower belts. I will have to ask about it when I get back to class, something might have been lost in translation (my wife is, admittedly, a very fresh white belt).
    well, if you combine a stiff arming or pushing uke, and a fast seoi otoshi (there is no "drop seoi nage", because otoshi means "drop" and if it's an otoshi it's not a nage, but that's another topic) it's really really easy for an inexperienced uke to not know how to take the fall and either face plant, shoulder plant, or try to post an arm.

any of those paths lead to 6-8 weeks recovery and PT.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 11:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    She probably got confused between rules for juniors and seniors. In some organizations, kids under a certain age cannot do Seoi Otoshi to the knees or one knee, sacrifice throws, "headlock" throws, etc., for safety reasons.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 11:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The worst concussion I've ever had was from a Seoi Otoshi, it was one of the out cold for 3 doses of smelling salts, and puke on way to ER kind of concussions. And I damned well knew how to take the fall, except the guy face planted me on purpose after mate' was called.

I've knocked a couple of guys out who tried to take it on the face to avoid the score doing the same, but it was their unwillingness to lose that caused those.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2014 2:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    She probably got confused between rules for juniors and seniors. In some organizations, kids under a certain age cannot do Seoi Otoshi to the knees or one knee, sacrifice throws, "headlock" throws, etc., for safety reasons.
    That could be, but the coach wasn't letting anyone (and we have mostly seniors in our class) do seoi otoshi during practice. I will ask today when I am back in class.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast