Posted On:
    4/09/2014 12:02am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Salt water resistant combat boots

Hey folks,

I'm looking for a pair of combat boots where I could jump off of a boat into the surf and run onto the beach. These boots should be salt water resistant where they aren't going to be excessively degraded by immersion. Also it would be nice if they had drainage, like in a pair of jungle boots.

Any thoughts, recommendations, or experiences?

Thanks so much!!!!!
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/09/2014 8:14am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    Hey folks,

I'm looking for a pair of combat boots where I could jump off of a boat into the surf and run onto the beach. These boots should be salt water resistant where they aren't going to be excessively degraded by immersion. Also it would be nice if they had drainage, like in a pair of jungle boots.

Any thoughts, recommendations, or experiences?

Thanks so much!!!!!

Curious - why the concern? I've had regular old leather combat boots in salt water a ton of times and wore them for years without ever giving it a second thought. Just let them dry, slap some polish on them and keep rolling. ****, I still wear a pair of leather combat boots I had when I was in the military years ago.

They'll get stiff if you let them sit forever. But as soon as you polish them and wear them for a couple days they'll be just like an old pair of jeans.

And if you want drainage, I'd go with jungle boots like you said. I don't like jungle boots though. I've had a lot of uncomfortable rubbing where the leather meets the upper.
    Last edited by Devil; 4/09/2014 8:19am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2014 9:33am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are doing maintenance on your boots, salt water shouldn't be a huge issue, at least not much outside their regular lifespan.

My favorite boots for extreme use situations has been:
    http://www.rockyboots.com/rocky-s2v-...00104_color=CQ

Very light, super comfy, stay right to the foot when trudging through thick mud or canals, and great vibram soles.

When they get soaked and are constantly exposed to the sun, they will shrink up and be a bitch to get back on, but they will stretch back out.

In the same environment, boot strings will get brittle and scan snap. I'd say if you will be in constant wet-dry environment with exposure to the sun for 2+ months, I'd bring extra laces.

Posted On:
    4/09/2014 4:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its hard to go wrong with the Bates 922
    http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en-U...uraShocks-Boot

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    4/09/2014 4:31pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I ask because I'm currently living on an island environment. I like to wear jungle boots for jungle and mud and streamwalking; they're just great. However, there is a lot of boat travel out here, and there isn't always a dock, so you have to jump off the boat and into the sea to get ashore.

Basically I wasn't sure if my boots would get damaged by exposure to sea water or not and thought that maybe someone had designed a boot for maritime units or something where you could basically run around in sea water and not maintain them without having problems or issues.

But I take it from the responses in this thread that basically, no, people just use normal combat boots when they need to run around in sea water.

Thanks to everyone for the info!
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2014 9:08am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It would dry out material more than reg water, but I'm sure you can take steps to prevent...especially since OP seems to be living there and not on a deployment with limited resources and time.

Posted On:
    4/10/2014 1:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    If anything i would think salt water wopuld preserve the leather (think bacon), and the stitching should be nylon and therefore fairly resistant

No.
    I live next to the ocean and it eats everything.
    Here in the tropics the sun helps out too.
    Heck, stainless steel rusts pretty rapidly on/near the ocean.
    Nylon turns to dust.

The polishing etc will keep them usable for a long time, but a good fresh water rinse after any salt-water immersion wouldn't hurt.

Posted On:
    4/10/2014 3:50pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    I stand corrected CPF
    WTF, who stole doof's password?!

Savvy local, oceangoing, lava jumping fishermen use tabis here.

Not sure if those work for the OP but they do great in places like this:

While not nearly as durable as combat boots they work really well on deck, in the sand, and on craggy or slippery, wet rocks.
    They are usually pretty cheap as well.

Best of all, you also get the "Look like a Ninja" bonus!

Oh yes!

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 11:17am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    While not nearly as durable as combat boots they work really well on deck, in the sand, and on craggy or slippery, wet rocks.
    They are usually pretty cheap as well.
    i'm usually really old fashioned when it comes to boots, i like them to be bench made, on a last that is close to my foot shape, and to last for many years through many rebuilds. once you have boots made for you it's hard to go back to off the shelf boots.

all that being said, i wouldn't use a pair of leather boots for your purpose when much better solutions exist (like the above) as sometimes modern fabrics/rubber can do a great job and won't need nearly as much care to stay functional. yes you will need to replace them every couple of years, but they are simply a better tool for the job.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 1:18pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tabis also fold up pretty flat and are very light.
    3-4 pairs won't take up much space at all.
    You can also wear swim fins over them, provided you sized accordingly.

On that note, these are light, float and you can run in them (ok, well kinda).
    They are standard equipment for Hawai'i lifeguards as well as several other lifesaving orgs.
    They are the lightest fins of this type and are really powerful.
    They also lie pretty flat when packing.

http://www.dafin.com/
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast