That's my fun day!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 5:27pm

Style: Doce Pares Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I was on their website and I read the following:
    "The name “Wu Xing”, meaning “Five elements” in Chinese, was chosen to emphasize the Vietnamese origins of our branch of Wing Chun (Vinh Xuan), which contains the five animal forms of Shaolin. Each animal is associated with an element, thus forming a complete system of techniques."
    Im not particularly knowledgeable on the topic of Wing Chun lineage/history, but what does Shaolin have to do with Wing Chun? Since when does the Chun have animal forms?
    Last edited by Mortal_wombat; 4/11/2014 5:54pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 5:39pm

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Given the amount of kicks seen in the video, I would not be at all surprised if at some point someone with experience in both styles tried to mush them together.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 6:14pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortal_wombat View Post
    So I was on their website and I read the following:
    "The name “Wu Xing”, meaning “Five elements” in Chinese, was chosen to emphasize the Vietnamese origins of our branch of Wing Chun (Vinh Xuan), which contains the five animal forms of Shaolin. Each animal is associated with an element, thus forming a complete system of techniques."
    Im not particularly knowledgeable on the topic of Wing Chun lineage/history, but what does Shaolin have to do with Wing Chun? Since when does the Chun have animal forms?
    Wing Chun contains SOME Shaolin traditional 5 animal stuff, but not all of them. Not by a long shot.

In the legends, it contains some elements of Snake and Crane. I've never seen a single Wing Chun video illustrating other animals (tiger, leopard etc) that are common to the Southern styles that Wing Chun grew up around...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 7:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does wing chun have weapon sparring or is it just forms? What about CMAs in general? I don't ever recall hearing about a CMA that trains weapons in an "alive manner" a la Kali, kendo, fencing, etc.
    Last edited by Mortal_wombat; 4/11/2014 7:20pm at .

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 8:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortal_wombat View Post
    Does wing chun have weapon sparring or is it just forms? What about CMAs in general? I don't ever recall hearing about a CMA that trains weapons in an "alive manner" a la Kali, kendo, fencing, etc.
    In case you're not trolling, you should pick up a history on China some time and learn about their love of wicked weaponry and killing machines.

The sheer number of practical, killing weapons in the Chinese arts is almost hard to count, and yes, any of them can be trained "alive" like any other weapon. It takes practice, and patience to learn how to do this and most people will never ever bother (for practical reasons)
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 4/11/2014 8:13pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 9:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not trolling, just ignorant. My only knowledge of CMA weapon systems comes from movies. I've honestly never seen a CMA weapon demo that wasn't just forms, so I decided to do a quick search on youtube and found numerous clips like these:

Can't believe this slipped under my radar. Are these martial arts on their own or are they part of a certain kung fu style's curriculum? And I welcome any book/website recomendations you throw my way.
    Last edited by Mortal_wombat; 4/11/2014 9:06pm at .

Posted On:
    4/12/2014 12:56am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It depends on the school/style, some teach 3 weapons, some teach dozens. Some sifus have been training so long they've learned a lot of weapons, some learned lots of weapons long ago and can't pick them up anymore.

Some teach the weapon applications realistically, many don't.

This is a 2 man Hung ga staff set, a training set. These types of sets build a foundation for free form practice. Note Onassis' comments below. Smart man.

I rarely if ever utilize such practices anymore. Currently I'd rather teach live drills and reactions in shorter bursts but nothing that is choreographed. That way the student learns to react more and not just memorize. I think there is a time in everyones' career in which they learn sparring sets like this. But then as a person matures, they must evolve to free fighting.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 4/12/2014 1:01am at .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12