Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2014 11:16am

Style: dead lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

bouncer/MA question

Just wanted to ask a question and take a little pole. I am in my mid 40s and have bounced and worked part time security jobs half my life. Most of the best guys I have worked with have had some kind of formal training. I have worked with jj/bjj/judo guys. Worked with a few boxers and mma guys and have worked with a lot of wrestlers. One of the best guys I worked with was a very good Greco roman wrestler. On to my question. Most of the guys we deal with are dumb drunks, some dangerous dumb drunks and a small percentage of guys with some type of formal training. I recently watched my boss, who is the bar owner knock out a guy who became violent. The guy he knocked out trains at a local mma gym and has a couple competitive fights under his belt. This is not the first time I have seen my boss deal with trained guys. My boss has very little formal fight training, other than being an average HS wrestler 30+ years ago and being a corrections officer for 10 years. He has good right hand and has been around bars all his life, threw his first guy out of his dads bar when he was 15, he is 50 now. One, what makes him so good without a lot of training and two, how many of you out there have come across people like this or how common is it to be that good without a lot of training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2014 11:28am

Style: BJJ/MMA, Boxing, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rnc357 View Post
    One, what makes him so good without a lot of training and two, how many of you out there have come across people like this or how common is it to be that good without a lot of training.
    He's good because he's always been in a potentially violent place of work his entire life. Tending bars isn't exactly a chaperoning experience in care bear land. He might not have a lot of formal training as you're defining it, but you list that he's been around bars since 15 (probably shown a few things that work well), was a correctional officer for 15 years (I'm sure he had to get into a scuffle more than once or twice), was a high school wrestler (more training than most will receive in a lifetime), and has been on the bar scene for longer than all of that put together. Define "training!" To me it sounds like he has a lot of training through experience. Let's not forget that he's dealing with drunk people though, I'm sure that factors into his success rate.

Finding people like this isn't hard, but it's not always a common thing in mainstream society. If you grow up and live in a place where violence tends to be a norm, than you're probably going to become proficient in it to some degree. You don't have to be good at 100 different things to be good at fighting or subduing somebody in a bar setting (or most fights, for that matter), you just have to be good at 3 or 4 things.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2014 11:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Forgot to mention that my boss is not super strong or in great shape, but athletic for his age. I mention this because I have also worked with very good bouncers who were power lifters/strong men, football and rugby players that were very tough guys even though they did not have any MA training. My boss does not fall into any of these categories either.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2014 11:35am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An awful lot of it (I suspect) is the fact that knocking out a drunk person is not a terribly difficult endeavor. And, if he has been doing in since he was 15, that's a certain sort of training too.

Posted On:
    4/07/2014 11:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone has something that they are just naturally good at, fighting is no exception there are some people who are just born as badasses.

Posted On:
    4/07/2014 12:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    guess he could just be a natural, maybe he did a little boxing on the side.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2014 12:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify. As all bouncers know, not all the guys we deal with are fall down drunk. those are easy to deal with. There are degrees of intoxication, and some of the people are not intoxicated or slightly intoxicated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2014 1:54am

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rnc357 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify. As all bouncers know, not all the guys we deal with are fall down drunk. those are easy to deal with. There are degrees of intoxication, and some of the people are not intoxicated or slightly intoxicated.
    I don't think that you have to be fall-over-drunk to still easily get sucker punched...

That said, your boss probably is tough as nails and all.