Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2014 8:08am

Style: Wrestle, Kickbox, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think, for me, this is where I get conflicted between Sport and Entertainment...which is MMA? If you're a pro athlete in tennis, soccer, etc. you compete if you're good enough to be there. More flamboyant athletes get more endorsements and such, but no matter how 'boring' you are you have a shot if you can win.

Maybe they need to change the rules if MMA isn't viable with guys competing with this kind of skill set...I know the economy of it is different, just seems like the best should be competing in the sport. (Not saying Shields is necessarily one of the best, but this does seem to be a trend)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2014 8:23am

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the judging is part of the problem. Judges should be better informed on what constitutes effective grappling and what doesn't. For example, a takedown followed by hard punches or a sub attempt = effective grappling. A takedown followed by lay and pray or a back take followed by 4 minutes of ineffective hand fighting not= effective grappling. And a takedown on it's own should not score. And the refs - should stand up the fighters earlier.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2014 9:07am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keslet View Post
    I think, for me, this is where I get conflicted between Sport and Entertainment...which is MMA? If you're a pro athlete in tennis, soccer, etc. you compete if you're good enough to be there. More flamboyant athletes get more endorsements and such, but no matter how 'boring' you are you have a shot if you can win.

Maybe they need to change the rules if MMA isn't viable with guys competing with this kind of skill set...I know the economy of it is different, just seems like the best should be competing in the sport. (Not saying Shields is necessarily one of the best, but this does seem to be a trend)

But UFC is kinda structured like boxing, and doesn't boxing try to strike a balance between attractive fights and earned fights? Golf and football are on cable or network TV, while UFC is PPV.

Posted On:
    4/10/2014 10:02am

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by poker View Post
    I think the judging is part of the problem. Judges should be better informed on what constitutes effective grappling and what doesn't. For example, a takedown followed by hard punches or a sub attempt = effective grappling. A takedown followed by lay and pray or a back take followed by 4 minutes of ineffective hand fighting not= effective grappling. And a takedown on it's own should not score. And the refs - should stand up the fighters earlier.
    I think this might be the preferred way to go but also need to address the guy taken down needs to be fighting. If there are no sweep attempts from bottom or sub attempts from the guard then a warning for stalling or possibly a point deduction with a stand up of the fighters.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/10/2014 10:32am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jake shields received his shot. In any sport, if you don't fit the system you don't play even if you are one of the top athletes. From attitude to off the filed issues, every sport has an asinine way to release people that they apply arbitrarily.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2014 11:43am

Style: Wrestle, Kickbox, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daishi View Post
    But UFC is kinda structured like boxing, and doesn't boxing try to strike a balance between attractive fights and earned fights? Golf and football are on cable or network TV, while UFC is PPV.
    That's true, and every sport has its issues...I don't know enough about the politics of the boxing world to know if it's common to cut 'less exciting' fighters who are still winning overall...didn't the OP say shields had a 4 fight winning streak prior to this last fight?

I don't know...we all want to see exciting fights, but I don't want to see MMA end up like a glorified Toughman event (which I think Dana would be fine with)...

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    4/10/2014 3:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ufc doesnt work the way boxing does, which is a bit more freelance.

its not actually that different to other sports. look at the amount of airtime someone like tiger woods gets at a golf tournament vs other less interesting players. and the endorsements he gets.

Posted On:
    4/10/2014 5:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post

its not actually that different to other sports. look at the amount of airtime someone like tiger woods gets at a golf tournament vs other less interesting players. and the endorsements he gets.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/10/2014 8:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Delta Jackson overturns a desk.

Security: We need more men out here!

The massive grappler literally foams at the mouth as five UFC security agents attempt to impede his rampage through Dana White's helicarrier. With the fury of a rabid doberman, he hurls one of the officers to the ground and shatters a row of tiles. A second officer comes charging at him but gets thrown to the ground as well, directly on top of the first. Jackson repeats this action with the three remaining agents, producing a stack five men right in the middle of the hallway. Before any of them can react, he leaps on top of them all and pins them to the ground like a mountain of lead. More officers enter the floor, but when they see the sight before them they know it's too late to save their fellow agents.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 1:41am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, nogiJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Y'know, I don't much care for fighters like Jake Shields and Jon Fitch, and I'm not particularly sad to see them go. But I wish Dana would just have the stones to come out and say "they're boring, and so we cut them the first chance we got" instead of pretending its a decision based on merit.

Like others have said, I think changes to the rules would be a good idea. Make it so that scoring a takedown only to lay on top of someone wouldn't be a way to win a fight, and that would force fighters who do that to add to their arsenal or change their tactics.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast