god thats retarded. so the original list went

gus
    evans
    glover
    dc
    johnson
    hendo
    davis

first of all, how the **** did davis go anywhere except down after his last performance?
    I think it's just that Hendo had to drop, and no one below them has done anything to warrant moving up.

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    how does beating a barista and hendo put you above the guy who just beat chael sonnen and hendo? how does beating people who are unranked climb you up the rankings by 2 points? those lists are so fucking lol.
    Cormier was highly ranked at heavyweight. They didn't ignore his pedigree when he joined the division. Would it be different for any other badass fighter moving DOWN in weight? If Anderson Silva moved down, or GSP, Jones, or Weidman, they'd come in over some guys who'd had better in division wins. They don't get the same question marks moving down, as moving up. If DC vs. Cain or DC vs JDS was a real possibility, that counts in the division below. None of those guys at 205 are Cain ready.

Being undefeated in fifteen fights, and having bested four top ten heavyweights plus Cummings and a top ten Hendo counts more than beating Chael Sonnen and Hendo. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    you know what id love to see? anthony johnson and DC. theres a compelling fight.
    That would be an awesome fight. If Jones/Gus is going to happen, DC vs AJ or Evans would be great.

:)

Posted On:
    5/28/2014 7:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The list from Hendo down doesn't have much to work with, in terms of justifying a leap upwards.

1. Alexander Gustafsson - fighting for title. Won 7 of last 8. Notable wins: Shogun.
    2. Daniel Cormier (+2) - just beat #6 - still undefeated - 5 top ten wins in 2 classes. Yet to lose a round.
    3. Rashad Evans (-1) - 2 fight winning streak. Def 2 of last 4. Many notable wins.
    4. Glover Teixeira (-1) - just lost - good overall record - notable wins Ryan Bader
    5. Anthony Johnson - 7 fight winning streak - Notable wins: Arlovski/Phil Davis
    6. Phil Davis (+1) - just lost won 3/4 Notable wins: Antônio Rogério Nogueira/Brian Stann
    7. Dan Henderson (-1) just lost. Def in 4/5
    8. Mauricio Rua just lost to Hendo. Def in 3/4
    9. Chael Sonnen just lost. Lost 3/4
    10. Ryan Bader just beat Anthony Perosh lost 2/4
    11. Jimi Manuwa - 14-1 record. No notable wins. Just lost to Gus.
    12. Rafael Cavalcante - Just beat Igor Pokrajac. 2-2 w/ 1 NC in last five. (Banned subst). Notable wins: King Mo
    13. Ovince Saint Preux (+1) won 4 straight. No notable wins. Lost to Mousasi five fights ago.
    14. Vitor Belfort - 3 fight winning streak. Many notable wins (relatively).
    15. James Te Huna - lost 2 in a row after a four fight streak. No notable wins. Lost to Hua, Gus and Tex.

I think Johnson should be above Teixeira. I'd have it.

Jones
    Cormier
    Gus
    Evans
    Johnson
    Teixeira
    Davis
    Hendo
    Rua
    and so on....

There's only so much to work with.

Posted On:
    5/28/2014 9:30pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't have an issue with DCs rank in LHW. As noted he does have victories in HW that should be recognized. The big question mark for me is the weight cut. I get the impression from some people that if a guy is not cut up, dropping a weight class is going to work out fine. I don't think all athletes respond to the cut the same and having some excessive fat does not guarantee strength will be retained. Also extended competing at a lower weight is different than dropping down once. I have to guess DC has top people helping him with this, and he has fought twice at 205, so I am developing some optimism that this will work for him.

Posted On:
    5/28/2014 11:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    I don't have an issue with DCs rank in LHW. As noted he does have victories in HW that should be recognized. The big question mark for me is the weight cut. I get the impression from some people that if a guy is not cut up, dropping a weight class is going to work out fine. I don't think all athletes respond to the cut the same and having some excessive fat does not guarantee strength will be retained. Also extended competing at a lower weight is different than dropping down once. I have to guess DC has top people helping him with this, and he has fought twice at 205, so I am developing some optimism that this will work for him.
    He seems to have retained his power. He was a smallish HW and dieted a good bit of the weight difference away. He is also working with good weight cut people.

His wrestling technique and growing striking prowess are somewhat size independent as he does wrestle on such a high level, and has such heavy hands. If he has, in fact, retained all his strength, it would explain Cummings' one minute and the total domination of Hendo. It's one thing to beat Hendo, but he controlled him for over 11 minutes of their fight. It was almost as one sided as it could have been, with virtually all chance removed.

Can Jones stay off his back or fight off it, if DC is able to impose his will? Can Jones stuff the takedowns, maintaining the range to possibly outstrike DC? It's a very intriguing matchup.

Posted On:
    5/29/2014 12:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a great series of techniques. Stamp kick, high round kick, jab-cross, single-leg into scoop (?) slam, trip, mount.

Posted On:
    7/27/2014 9:55am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OH YEAH.

DC vs Jones. Fight.Of.The.Decade.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/27/2014 12:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    OH YEAH.

DC vs Jones. Fight.Of.The.Decade.

Wishful thinking.

Highly anticipated? Yes. That doesn't mean it won't be over in 10 seconds or be a 5 round snoozefest.

Posted On:
    7/27/2014 1:40pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Worst case scenario for this fight: DC strikes don't threaten Jones, they end up in a clinch, DC finds Jones is still capable of threatening with strikes in the clinch, DC taken down, elbows finish it.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789