Sponsored Links Spacer Image

:)

Posted On:
    4/10/2014 10:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    its not so much cutting weight though when its just not eating so much ****. the dude is fat. he is about the same height as me for fucks sake, and he doesnt even have that kind of david tua/mark hunt frame. he is like roy nelson. if he was dehydrating for 205 you would have a point.
    He's stocky as hell. Barrel chest and all that. Once you've had kidney failure, I imagine the concern over any weight cut involving strategic dehydration (at the very end), would be heightened.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    also are you REALLY comparing the people jones has beaten to the people cormier has beaten? like HW is anywhere near as stacked as LHW? jones has been beating up on fucking savages.
    Who are the savages? Who would you have on your savages list? I'm not comparing them, just pointing out that Jones hasn't always fought really really tough competition for him.

He's young, enormous and superbly talented with the longest reach in the whole shebang. Most of those guys never had a chance. His last fight was the first that was really really competitive. Shockingly a young game fighter who isn't a dwarf next to him.

Alexander Gustafsson
    Chael Sonnen
    Vitor Belfort
    Rashad Evans
    Machida
    Rampage Jackson
    Shogun Rua
    Ryan Bader
    Vladimir Matyushenko
    Brandon Vera
    Matt Hamill (loss)
    Jake O'Brien
    Stephan Bonnar
    Andre Gusmao
    Moyses Gabin
    Parker Porter
    Ryan Verrett
    Anthony Pina
    Carlos Eduardo
    Brad Bernard

Those guys, beyond possibly Gus just didn't have the tools to unlock his puzzle. Cormier has all those tools. Is Jones' Greco going to work on Cormier? It's not going to be easy, and might be an ugly outcome to willingly clinch.

Will jones be able to throw lots of long range kicks like he has to such great effect - against a guy begging for a leg? It's unlikely. DC has shown he can catch and counter in his prior fights catching bigger legs.

Does Jones have KO power to decisively outmatch DC? No, he doesn't. He is a supremely gifted striker, but Cormier has waaaaaaaaaaaay heavier hands and throws nice combos. DC has rung bigger bells.

I think Jones would go for a cut win. Elbows elbows elbows. He doesn't have a clear advantage than isn't neutralized beyond cutting him up before he gets caught on the noggin with the Bigfoot slayer hands.

Here ends the rant.

EDIT: DC can lose and I'll still be a fan. Fair weather fans are fine if that's how they want to run. I didn't **** on Fedor, and I wouldn't on DC (I didn't have to with Joe Calzaghe in boxing YEAH!!!!)

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 3:46am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jones is the best LHW fighter in the history of the sport and has not just beat but destroyed anyone they've put against him, including former champions who themselves are legends.

It is fucking incomprehensible how somebody can look at Jones' list of victims and STILL claim he hasn't been tested. What more do you WANT?

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 7:38am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn Bob, you are a Grade A fucking knucklehead. You're still sticking with this **** about Jones opponents?

Okay, let's use your own logic. Your big piece of evidence that Cormier has faced top notch competition was that he's faced four top ten fighters. Your homework assignment is to tell us how many of Jones' opponents were ranked in the top ten when he fought them.

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 10:29am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thing I'm gonna add in favor of Cormier:

Compared to Jones' past opponents, he's the most INTELLIGENT fighter of them all. And I don't say that lightly.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 11:00am

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bob,
    Based on your line of reasoning DC needs to stay in HW. If he wins the LHW belt, he will not have fought any decent competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 12:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    Jones is the best LHW fighter in the history of the sport and has not just beat but destroyed anyone they've put against him, including former champions who themselves are legends.

It is fucking incomprehensible how somebody can look at Jones' list of victims and STILL claim he hasn't been tested. What more do you WANT?
    He has been tested for sure. He's proven he belongs at the top. I said his competition has been varied, which is demonstrably true.

Fighters fight who's available in their time, and not everyone was much of a test. Jones now vs Rua or Rampage or Vitor ten years ago would be the hotness.

The Gus fight was notable in that it was highly competitive. Well Gus isn't ancient, or a midget comparatively, so that helps immensely.

Bones is a HW frame, using the cut to stay at 205. Overeem did it back in the day, to less effect. Jones has been fiddling with these guys like a young superbly talented giant of a man should. Evans and Machida's style aren't much dependent on size, and he's come through adversity but 4/5 of his resume never had a chance. Would you lay money on more than four of them if you weren't getting 4-1 or better?

DC has been beating heavyweights, so one huge aspect of his advantage is removed. Josh Barnett's wrestling was entirely neutralized for 5 rounds. Can Bones succeed being 30lbs lighter come fight time, in imposing his will in the clinch? It's hard to see.

Jones is a hideous matchup for all but a couple of fighters in the weightclass. Hendo is a much tougher fight for DC than Bones

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 12:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gus is 6/5 w/ a 79 inch reach. He's young and talented and shockingly the fight was much closer than midget and elderly bashing.

DC is a bad style matchup for Jones, for different reasons. Gus is similar to Jones in aspects that caused difficulties. DC has counter techniques/traits that will prove difficult.

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 1:13pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jones competition lost because he is a superior fighter. He has the athletic ability combined with highly effective technique. From all indications he has maintained a strong work ethic and improved as he progressed up the ranks. He has maintained the ability to make weight at 205 while remaining strong, fast, and having good conditioning. Note that non of this has anything to do with "varied" competition. The variation in his competition has even their ranking! Over the course of his rise to prominence you good argue LHW was the strongest deepest weight class. You keep giving a soft criticism of LHW that makes no sense! In fact I would argue HW has been two fighters away from Jones grabbing the HW title during this time!

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 2:33pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some fighters fight nobodies. Some fighters just make the competition look like nobodies.

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 2:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Some fighters fight nobodies. Some fighters just make the competition look like nobodies.
    Great quote! Is this a devil original or from someone else?

Looked at my post above, typing on phone does not always work well!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast