Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/02/2014 8:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got my blue belt about 3 1/2 years into my third school. To me a blue belt represents a student who has proven to his instructor that he is serious about his study of the art. Nothing more than that really. When I go to class I have a plan for which techniques I am going to try. The best way to hold up your progress is to worry to much about tapping or getting tapped. You end up not taking chances, not trying new things, not using the jiu jitsu taught in class and overusing techniques you are already proficient in. Good luck, keep training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2014 8:58pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My Judo coach (who tends to give his belts out at an almost BJJ pace) has been holding a black belt for years for one of his brown belts who has a shitty, entitled attitude. He doesn't want to learn or be coached, he wants his black belt.

It seems like you are realizing that attitude matters. Thinking you deserve x rank probably means you don't deserve it yet. Focus on getting better and being open to being coached, not on getting the next belt or stripe. Those things come automatically with a learning attitude.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    4/03/2014 8:02am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This has been covered, but it bears repetition:

It's called "class," for a reason. Do the techniques taught IN THAT CLASS. Think of it as a pop-quiz. It is disrespectful to your coach and your partner(s) if you're not drilling what's being taught. Save your outside stuff for open mats and free rolling.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2014 1:05pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    ... The best way to hold up your progress is to worry to much about tapping or getting tapped. You end up not taking chances, not trying new things, not using the jiu jitsu taught in class and overusing techniques you are already proficient in.
    This is something all students should consider. Are you treating training like a competition every class, or are you there to learn new stuff and get better? It's better to stop and listen to your instructor, than to plow on with the same old stuff. It is about learning, not winning.

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    4/04/2014 3:00pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I apologize for the late response. Between work, family and training I really haven’t gotten on Bullshido this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Grappler View Post
    Back ground:
    Been training for 10 months. I've been doing 4-5 classes a week, doing open mat with a competition purple belt and doing drills everyday for the past 4 months to get ready for NAGA.
    Lately, I can submit most the 1 stripe blue belts and have a high success rate on my techniques against other white belts. I weigh 180 lbs, and try my best to not use strength.

I assume these are gym wins. You are still new to Jiu Jitsu so this might come as a surprise but these do not matter at all. Personally I hate rolling with people that count or even remember their gym wins. The worst rolling partners for me are white belts that treat each gym roll like its the finals of Mundials. Its really lose-lose for me. On one end I can’t really work on my new stuff because while I am trying to figure out the nuisances of a certain sweep or guard, the white belt is coming at me 100%, diving for a Kimura and trying to “beat the colored belt.” While I’ll shrug my shoulders and go back to trying my B game, the white belt thinks they should get promoted due to tapping a colored belt during a gym roll. On the other end, if I just come back with my A game with the same intensity and repetitively hit the white belt with my tournament ready submissions. Now I am just the colored belt bullying the white belt and I don’t get to work on anything new.

So, the other night at my bjj class was promotion night. I was told by a purple belt, that teaches the morning classes, that he thought I would be getting my blue belt. We don't do formal testing at our gym. And the last couple of weeks, I felt really good when rolling. So, I was pretty excited.
    My instructor, a 2nd degree black belt, was calling several white belts up and giving them a stripe. After about 5 white belts it seemed their was a pause, the purple belt, pulled out a blue belt and walked up beside the BB. My BB looked at me and said, "we have one more getting stripes", and called my name.
    I tried to play it like I was happy, despite the shocked look on the purple belts face as he walked away still holding the blue belt.
    As my BB was putting on the stripes, he was telling the class how much hard work I've been doing and as a 4 stripe white belt, I'm close to blue and such. Then he dropped his voice and quietly told me, he liked that I was working so hard outside of class, but "You need to really listen to the guys around you. They've put in a lot of time and paid their dues. You can really learn a lot from the guys that have already walked this path."
    After that, he promotes 5 people to blue belt. All of which I've submitted regularly, 2 of which joined after I did, and none that can submit me. (3 are bigger than me)

AND THAT'S WHEN IT SUNK IN!

I still have a white belt not because i don't know the techniques. But because I don't fully listen to my black belt!

I have no issue with this. Why do you think you deserve to be promoted? Because you can win gym rolls? We already established that those don’t matter. First, it's possible those people that were promoted are more technical that you. You may have an athleticism advantage over them which helps you during rolls but their escapes and defenses could be more correct technique wise? I honestly don’t know you and haven’t seen you roll so I am just guessing.

However, I do know is that you don’t listen to your instructor. Remember he is not promoting you to blue belt because you can submit people, you are expression of his Jiu Jitsu. When people ask you who gave you your rank his name will come up. So if you aren’t listening to him you are not a Blue Belt representation of his teaching.

What I mean by that; when I asked my BB what I could do to prepare for some up coming competitions. He said just keep coming to class regularly. Not the answer I was expecting from someone that has and does coach competition teams.

***Don't get me wrong, when I ask after a technique or a situation, it almost becomes a private lesson with the amount of info and help he gives. It's incredible. That's why I was shocked at the competition comment***

So I went outside of the gym and got a weight lifting routine, drill routine, game plan and flow chart. (A few weeks later I started to dominate the other white belts) When someone asked, I would tell them that I got with someone outside of the school and they helped me create a plan. I wasn't lying or bitter. Just told them I loved it. One day my BB heard me, but didn't say anything.
    ANOTHER area that I believe is getting confused, is I don't always follow the steps the way he teaches them when I roll. MEANING: He teaches a technique or setup, I drill it to a 'T'. But when I roll, I can hear him tell me to do 'X' or 'Y'. And when I start my partner knows what's coming, cause he drilled it to, so my chances just dropped. BUT what I have been doing lately, is looking up different setups for the techniques he taught. And use those setups when I roll. I've had a high success with my techniques, mostly because my partner doesn't know what I'm about to do now.
    And like before, when someone asks, I tell them what I did. Not to be a dick, or to teach a class, but because I get better with better partners. I don't want to roll with a guy I can dominate.
    The best techniques are the ones you can pull of time and time again despite what your opponent does. If your technique is depending on that fact that your opponent doesn’t know they are coming, then they are just gimmicks that will not serve you in the long term. The key is to engineer the situation where you opponent thinks the best idea is to fall into your trap.

Putting that aside, you are still thinking you need to win during your rolling. Your instructor doesn’t care who is tapping who and probably forgets 30 seconds after the roll was done. He was looking on whether you can apply the techniques you were drilling. You showed him that you couldn’t.

SO! I've decided, to keep my mouth shut 99% percent of class and if someone asks me something, just gonna call for an instructor to answer their question.

I'm not upset about not getting my blue, and I understand why he said that. Hell, he's had his black belt for 8 years and owns a bjj school. I trust him more than myself when it comes to bjj.

I feel better after writing this. But I would like to hear everyone's thoughts as well. Feel free to flame on!
    You sound upset though. Take your own advice, shut up and train.
    Last edited by Plasma; 4/04/2014 3:04pm at .

Posted On:
    4/04/2014 4:23pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    A whole bunch of good stuff
    Here is my perspective on this. I am not going to lie I love it when I catch a sr belt with something. It is a great feeling. The feeling that you know that you did something right, that you where able to set something up and execute it. That being I said I know that they are not wins. I know the Sr. Belts are either working on something themselves as opposed to trying to beat me or are being generous that when they see something being properly setup to let it happen.
    I always thank Sr. Belts for letting me work. Letting me use the stuff we learned.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123