Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 5:36pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you everyone, for your replies. I like getting everyone's view, and believe it helps humble me and tells me to get back in my box.

I tried to write the post in the way it happened. So after he promoted those to blue, THAT'S when it hit and I understood what happened.

I felt no hard feelings, and had a lot of fun that class. Since it was my birthday (more insult?) I had to walk the gauntlet. (Wiped by their everyone's belt as I walk by them) I was a good sport, and when I turned around to walk back down the gauntlet, I informed everyone that my wife hits harder. They stepped it up on the way back. :-)

I never do my 'own thing' during drills. Only when free rolling and he's walking around giving spot advice. I'm not trying to be smug, but my partner also just heard and is making adjustments to prevent it. So, I try something else I learned.

I USED to think it was great, now I realized I was having such success, because my partners have never seen it. The same thing happens to me all the time when rolling with the purple belts.

As for my training partners, there are several of us that are competitors, so we do step it up against each other. But against the women, smaller, or less competitive, I always talk to them prior to rolling, and am more than willing to play to their game. Mostly because their is an open mat after class and I get 2-4 more rolls in.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 5:49pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMHO getting a belt is about being part of a community, even though we usually think of it as an individual accomplishment. The mark of a good student is making his fellow students better, thus making himself better. The head coach directs everyone in this capacity, and doing your own thing can be contrary to this.

Its easy to imagine that its the coach's ego holding you back by denouncing the cool stuff you learned on Youtube or whatever, but he really may be thinking about his school as a cohesive unit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 6:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And to be honest, I wasn't even thinking about my belt until the purple belt told me two days before.

I am already registered in a local comp as a white belt, and NAGA is right around the corner. I use rolls in class and after to help refine a plan for competitions. For me, competitions are the only reason to do bjj. So I won't just 'let' someone get a sweep or reversal, and I hold every new position for a 3 count before I move on. Just so I don't create any bad habits for comps.

Doing the drills in class, I offer no resistance and follow instruction. It's only during the rolls that I deviate.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 6:42pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take a deep breath, you asked a question and you are slowly getting bothered by what you are hearing. The honesty is in your first post. Yes, the mirror can be hurtful.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 9:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Grappler View Post
    I am already registered in a local comp as a white belt, and NAGA is right around the corner. I use rolls in class and after to help refine a plan for competitions.
    Wait if you are going to compete at white belt level then it would be silly to give you a blue belt now, no? I mean it is certainly advantageous for you to get more experience on white belt level first, right? Maybe your coach knows what he is doing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 9:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've already done 2 local comps as a white belt, placed in both, and have a third in a couple weeks. NAGA is 2 months, and I plan to compete regardless of the color of my belt.
    I was, still am, the only white belt that is actively competing. I'm not even on his competition team, they're blue and up, I just really enjoy it.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 9:30pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by killface View Post
    Maybe your coach knows what he is doing.
    Reality has set in.
    I just really enjoy it.
    So there is a happy ending. You found something you enjoy and are gaining a skill set.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 9:54pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doing the drills in class, I offer no resistance and follow instruction. It's only during the rolls that I deviate.
    I assure you, your instructor notices when you deviate.

Let's look at your situation from his point of view, shall we? He sees a guy who has decided, to some degree, to ignore his instruction, i.e. his set ups. Instead you've decided to learn outside material to gain an advantage over your fellow white belts.

As a white belt/beginner, this does not make a good impression on your instructor (call me old fashioned, but as far as I'm concerned, you're a beginner until you have two solid years of training under your belt.).

Take the time to work what your instructor has taught you, including the set ups. Now read this paragraph again.

I'm not telling you to abandon what you already know, but you might want to ease up on Youtube and focus on what you have learned in class during sparring. This was the underlying message that he was telling you when he spoke to you under his breath when you received your stripe.

Some white belts and quite a few blue belts tend to try to learn from sources outside class before they are ready to do so. As beginner, or beginner-intermediate, grapplers, you don't have the technical depth to pick up the technique cleanly from a reputable video, nor do you have enough experience to differentiate between crap and quality based on observation alone.

Once you have attained the rank of a purple belt, you should have enough experience to experiment with technique you learn independent from your instructor.

This is my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 10:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As I look in the mirror, I have to say, his advice about competing kinda started it all, and what really started me looking outside of his gym.

(I did several amateur Thai boxing fights in my twenties, and several weeks before a fight, my kru would have a set routine and plan he would use to get us fighters ready)

My BB teaches bjj, with a lot of self defense techniques during class, but he also coaches for competitions, hence his own team. Those guys are really good, and loyal, so I know he's a great instructor for comps.

So I was expecting some advice similar to my old kru.

What he said made me think he believes I'm not serious about it; I'm not good enough for his team; I'm not worth the effort; blah blah blah...

Real hurt feelings stuff.

So, I set out to prove to him that I am a serious contender. But proved I'm an ass.

Tonight I got to roll with a purple belt that was on his competition team. And later got a chance to talk with him. Turns out, most his coaching for his team comes a couple weeks prior to the comp, and is mostly done after a class in an open mat style. Meaning anyone is welcome to watch or participate. The team members just pick his brain about a plan or move, he teaches and then they drill it. He doesn't try to create a 'sandbag' team, or try to create an elite squad. It's all done in fun.

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 11:27pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My BB teaches bjj, with a lot of self defense techniques during class, but he also coaches for competitions, hence his own team. Those guys are really good, and loyal, so I know he's a great instructor for comps.
    Not to take away from all the fact that you do need to check your ego.
    But are there other BJJ options available? If your so interested in competing you may want to find a gym that focuses on that.
    It is your time after all if that is the aspect that your most interested in finding a gym who's values line up with that isn't a bad idea per say.
    or you know right now as a white belt you could just really focus on the fundamentals and worry about being on the competition team when you are deemed ready.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast