Posted On:
    4/03/2014 1:47pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    http://www.bjpenn.com/ralek-gracie-l...ravo-as-a-man/

Gracies, sour grapes, expression whatever
    I've had an opportunity to ask a couple "higher" level folks (specifically two different brazilians which is totally a statistically relevant population) about Eddie and his style. Both of them said essentially, they didn't like Eddie's mouth. Neither of them said they didn't think Eddie's style had any merit.

I like Eddie's style, I like his half guard game, I like the concept of the rubber guard, and if we'd had a hot box years ago when my style was still coming together, it likely would have become a significant part of my game, as opposed to something I played with, with varying success, and then sort of abandoned because I had no one around who could help me trouble shoot it. As it is my style has become far more open guard, whereas his is heavily a clinch game. Given a choice I'd go to DLR before RG, but ONLY because that is what I find to be more fun to do. Something about nailing a sweep from DLR I enjoy.

Anyway, I can see how Ralek might be irritated at what Eddie's been saying. I can also see how this whole thing is really dumb.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/03/2014 2:22pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRhino View Post
    I disagree pretty strongly with you Devil. I thought the match was pretty exciting. Is it street applicable to jump half guard? No. Is it Jits? Yes. Does Eddie jumping half guard in this match invalidate his entire styles' street or MMA applicability? No.

There are a ton of sport jits moves/positions that aren't street applicable. IMO, if street applicability was the measuring stick we all used for judging weather or not a jits match was good, we'd have Gracie combatives tournaments. But we don't, because it turns out that jits has more than, what, 36 moves, and that grappling, even when you're performing moves that might not be deemed "street applicable" at all times, is a pretty valuable skill set to have in a real fight.

But, that's just me. My style of jits is the style that 1) I enjoy playing, and 2) I have success with.

You're a guard puller, aren't you?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2014 2:31pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You're a guard puller, aren't you?
    Not since I started Judo. But I am a guard player. It's what I'm best at, and what I enjoy. Guard > elevator to mount > transition to back > choke is my ideal roll. My ideal match would start with a Uchi Mata potentially combo'd with a O-uchi gari, or just a super bad ass foot sweep. IF I get taken down though I'm good with that too.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/03/2014 3:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRhino View Post
    Not since I started Judo.

Well then, I guess I'll forgive you for thinking leg humping is exciting.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    4/03/2014 3:48pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I saw in the MM3 video was Eddie basically nullifying Gracie's attacks most of the match, using the techniques he was allowed. That's something BJJ is good for, in this context Eddie used it to his advantage like any pro would have. He shut Royler's offense down, essentially, which is the hallmark of a great martial artist. HE humbled the more "badass" of the two of them.

This is why the Gracies are all pissed at Eddie (3 by my count, more??). They need to retain their badass images..and pure BJJ comp (as opposed to MMA) is now working against them, isn't it?

Now Royler given his eliteness was not going to get shut down easily, but if anyone won this match it was BJJ. These kinds of matches show what's possible to an extreme. Does it apply in outside situations? Maybe. Who cares, if it doesn't, figure that out now by watching this video.

But really, **** both those guys, they are meat for the grinder imho. They exist to showcase great BJJ, not to try and fail to entertain me with their egos before and after the comp.

This is why they fight in the rings, so we don't have to listen to their verbal cockfighting. If I wanted that, professional wrestling has better story lines.

However, had Eddie been forced to adapt due to NOT being in a competition, I don't think he'd have a problem any more that Royler and Royce would. But it was NOT Vale tudo...so shut the **** up about that already!

The obsession with validation and family "honor" is getting pathetic.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 4/03/2014 4:00pm at .

Posted On:
    4/03/2014 3:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    However, had Eddie been forced to adapt due to NOT being in a competition, I don't think he'd have a problem any more that Royler and Royce would. But it was NOT Vale tudo...so shut the **** up about that already!
    It's always a slippery slope when a martial arts technique or methodology must be justified by "Well, I train this way but I would fight that way."

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    4/03/2014 4:11pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's always a slippery slope when a martial arts technique or methodology must be justified by "Well, I train this way but I would fight that way."
    Sure, but I have already seen Eddie Bravo submit Royler by triangle choke in 2003, so I know he has those weapons in his arsenal too.

This is really my point, that if you know the full 11-year context of this, I think it's very possible Eddie's strategy wasn't even to submit Royler. He'd been there, done that.

He was the "defending" champ in this particular rematch.

So he stepped up his game and just took away everything Royler had to offer, focusing almost 100% on defense, and now not only defeats Royler in 2003, but STEALS VICTORY AWAY in 2014.

So much so, he made Royce Gracie cry.

"I was all over him, he did nothing to me. If you look at the highlights that Metamoris put together, there are no Royler highlights. So I don’t know how he thought he won. There were no Royler highlights. "
    Flawless victory.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 4/03/2014 4:19pm at .

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    4/03/2014 4:30pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Sure, but I have already seen Eddie Bravo submit Royler by triangle choke in 2003, so I know he has those weapons in his arsenal too.

This is really my point, that if you know the full 11-year context of this, I think it's very possible Eddie's strategy wasn't even to submit Royler. He'd been there, done that.

He was the "defending" champ in this particular rematch.

So he stepped up his game and just took away everything Royler had to offer, focusing almost 100% on defense, and now not only defeats Royler in 2003, but STEALS VICTORY AWAY in 2014.

So much so, he made Royce Gracie cry.

Flawless victory.
    The victor was Robert Zeps, who raked in untold millions for showing a 20 minute video of grown men getting all sweaty together.

Posted On:
    4/03/2014 8:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well then, I guess I'll forgive you for thinking leg humping is exciting.
    No but shutting down Royler's Knee slide pass with a quarter/half guard is pretty damn exciting. Then to move from that into a dominate position was pretty damn good as well.
    So was the nasty leg lock.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    4/03/2014 10:00pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On a less interesting note, breaking to the commentators so Jeff Glover and Kenny Florian could show us how to hold hands properly was kind of wierd.....
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast