221989 Bullies, 4213 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 1:30pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    as a judoka i tend to agree with you on this. i know that travis stevens has pulled guard in grappling (and he's no bitch, that's for sure - don't kill me next time we randori, travis) watching him just *slam* people with his judo tachiwaza in BJJ tournaments is just a wonderful thing to see.
    Yes, I know I tend to speak in absolutes. It's way more fun than sitting on the fence. If someone can throw people at will and they want to do something different for the fun of it, fine.

I think you understand what I'm getting at though. Since BJJ became popular, BJJ practitioners have usually been willing to admit that standing is where they tend to be weakest. But increasingly, it seems like more guys are pretending that it's not a weakness at all. That they actually don't need to know how to execute a throw or a takedown because hey, they're jiu jitsu guys. They can pull half guard instead, which is just as good as a stupid double leg anyway, right?

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    4/02/2014 12:20am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FWIW, I actually agree with you to a point Devil. I dont jump guard and I dont really like it when others jump guard either.

But that Match between Eddie and Royler was fucking awesome. It would've been BETTER if Bravo had got a kickass throw to take Royler down, but the rules of the game aren't setup that way.

And make no mistake, that match was a game and not real fighting. If not's fair to judge a game by the rules of real life. When you watch a Mohammed Ali fight, do you criticise his lack of low kicks and his refusal to attempt takedowns?

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/02/2014 7:54am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson View Post
    FWIW, I actually agree with you to a point Devil. I dont jump guard and I dont really like it when others jump guard either.

But that Match between Eddie and Royler was fucking awesome. It would've been BETTER if Bravo had got a kickass throw to take Royler down, but the rules of the game aren't setup that way.

And make no mistake, that match was a game and not real fighting. If not's fair to judge a game by the rules of real life. When you watch a Mohammed Ali fight, do you criticise his lack of low kicks and his refusal to attempt takedowns?
    That match was in no way awesome by any measuring stick I would use. The rules of the game don't allow throws? That's news to me.

I know it was just a game. That's part of my problem with it. Do I expect to see punches thrown in a jiu jitsu match? Obviously not. But I do expect to see high level practitioners employing viable martial arts techniques in a match. Otherwise, they're just taking a badass martial art and turning it into a suckass game. I've got no interest in watching that type of bullshit.

To your Ali question - the answer is no. Boxing is isolating one aspect of fighting and making a game of it. Same thing with sports jiu jitsu. But what Eddie Bravo does is equivalent to a boxer who runs from his opponent and clinches for half of a fight, which I wouldn't respect either.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    4/02/2014 5:08pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But what Eddie Bravo does is equivalent to a boxer who runs from his opponent and clinches for half of a fight, which I wouldn't respect either.
    You and I were clearly watching two different fights. If anything what Bravo did was more akin to a rope-a-dope. Putting himself into a seemingly bad position from which he could win the fight due to better skills and game plan.

Posted On:
    4/02/2014 7:12pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thread win for Devil on three different posts.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Posted On:
    4/03/2014 1:16am

Style: BJJ/Zumba

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yo, why couldn't Royler just wreck his shitty style of holding half guard, eh? He's had like 10 years to know what was probably coming, and it was like "Oh yeah, half guard with lock down? Nah brah, I'll just knee slice...slice....slice...wtf you disrespecting me for, Eddie!? WTF YOU HATE GRACIE JIUTJISU, JUST LET ME BANG, BRO, I JUST WANNA BANG."

Eddie controlled his entire posture, broke down his pressure attempts, and then swept him when he powered up like he wanted to, over and over again. Royler had to know it was coming after the first time, and even should have known BEFORE THE FIRST TIME. It's like Royler went in going "Time for some GJJ, no need to study, I got this," and then when the half guard of dhoom turned up he was all like "HEY JUST LET ME OUT."

Eddie was there to set up his best attacks, and his best attacks come from the guard and style he has built and evolved over the last couple of decades. This seems like a good path to winning, I didn't see any submission attempts from Royler, who didn't seem to be able to move from Eddie's half guard. What's up with that?
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/03/2014 5:34am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Royce takes this if it comes to blows. The Gracie family has been undefeated in competition for DECADES. Royce was fighting back in the days before rules, when MMA was basically no-holds-barred. I figure this neophyte challenger will back down much like Emin Bozetepe did back in the day. The Gracie Challenge money is still there, but nobody has even tried to make a bid for it in years. There's a reason for that.

Posted On:
    4/03/2014 7:44am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson View Post
    You and I were clearly watching two different fights. If anything what Bravo did was more akin to a rope-a-dope. Putting himself into a seemingly bad position from which he could win the fight due to better skills and game plan.
    Use whatever analogy you like. He jumped onto a dude's leg and hung on for dear life for a good portion of the match.

Posted On:
    4/03/2014 7:49am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Miyagi View Post
    Yo, why couldn't Royler just wreck his shitty style of holding half guard, eh? He's had like 10 years to know what was probably coming, and it was like "Oh yeah, half guard with lock down? Nah brah, I'll just knee slice...slice....slice...wtf you disrespecting me for, Eddie!? WTF YOU HATE GRACIE JIUTJISU, JUST LET ME BANG, BRO, I JUST WANNA BANG."

Eddie controlled his entire posture, broke down his pressure attempts, and then swept him when he powered up like he wanted to, over and over again. Royler had to know it was coming after the first time, and even should have known BEFORE THE FIRST TIME. It's like Royler went in going "Time for some GJJ, no need to study, I got this," and then when the half guard of dhoom turned up he was all like "HEY JUST LET ME OUT."

Eddie was there to set up his best attacks, and his best attacks come from the guard and style he has built and evolved over the last couple of decades. This seems like a good path to winning, I didn't see any submission attempts from Royler, who didn't seem to be able to move from Eddie's half guard. What's up with that?

I'm not here to make excuses for a Gracie. I don't give a **** who won the match. But the style Eddie has built and evolved over the last couple of decades is a style that will get his ass knocked out in a fight. If people want to ignore that and admire his lame ass leg riding, it's no skin off my back.

Here's the blog post from AnnMaria De Mars I was referring to earlier. Nothing Earth shattering. Just another person's opinion. But I agree completely with what she's saying and she brings a little humor to the subject:

http://drannmaria.blogspot.com/2011/...ant-stand.html
    Last edited by Devil; 4/03/2014 8:13am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2014 9:03am

Style: BJJ Beginner

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought the match was awesome.

Devil can go smoke some cock.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast