Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/28/2014 10:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fight Science - Testing the Tiger Claw

I was passing the time watching some vids on youtube of Tigers in Bangladesh when I noticed this video and decided to take a look.

The first part where they compare the playful swat of a tiger raised in captivity to a tiger-style practicioners' strike is a bit silly.
    But I found the second part where they test the efficacy of the tiger claw strike against a seemingly realistic 'dummy throat' of sorts kind of neat.

CMA practicioners know full well that iron palm training and its variants like the tiger strike/eagle claw can only be honed to the point where one can doll out serious damage if considerable time and effort are put into a regimen that includes good medicine and proper technical training. Perhaps the' science' in this clip can better explain some of the things we've been trying to communicate to others outside the art for many years ?
    I'm sure a lot of you already know about this show, but I have never watched it before..
    Anyways..cheers.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    11/12/2014 4:57pm

supporting member
     Style: 

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agree the Tiger/ball thing is ridiculous. I posted this on my FB page once, and my Hung ga sifu saw the clip and dismissed it as mostly nonsense up to the throat attack part. Attacking the throat with tiger claw comprises a number of tiger techniques in Hung ga (arguably one of the most famous forms of tiger surviving to today).

That guy's "style" of Tiger seems to be a personal combination of modern wushu and some real traditional material that is still applicable. It doesn't seem to line up with what I know of fu jow pai, Hung ga tiger, etc. There is certainly a lot of variation with fu jow styles...but the jumping around is not typical as far as I know...most tiger style fighting I know of is connected to and low to the ground...of the five animal styles it's the one that most resembles grappling. There are definitely not a lot of kicks in the tiger styles I've seen, but this guy was jumping all over, etc...probably for the camera.

Occasionally there are glimmers of actual tiger techniques like mang fu jow faht (fierce tiger claw method), but a lot of it is showy/flowery (the jumping, kicking etc).

Attacking the throat/trachea is one of those techniques best left to antiquity and conditioning rather than application training, for safety/liability reasons...it's very easy to damage/inflame the throat and cause an immediate airway blockage, or worse literally crush the trachea with a strong enough grip.

This practice is best left to sand and shot bags or heavy bag, and not on sparring partners.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 11/12/2014 5:11pm at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/12/2014 6:35pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It irks me how Fight Science uses this XMA/wushu guy to demo everything.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2014 6:48pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The opening 30sec of the video had me paralyzed with laughter.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    11/12/2014 9:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'd actually managed to forget about that shitty show until now. :(

one thing about tiger claw. i actually did quite a bit of the hung ga grip strength training that we were supposed to do on our own outside of class time. i held the jars, hit the iron palm bag, threw the canvas bag, etc. i did not do them as seriously as some others like my sifu, but i did a lot more than *most* of my training brothers (and i think that we were one of the more hard fighting, hard training hung ga schools around.)

who thinks my grip got weaker when i switched to judo, and who thinks it got stronger?

most tiger stylists don't do nearly enough specialized training to get the results that they *expect* to get from doing tiger style kung fu techniques, let alone have a solid delivery method for making those techniques work against an attacker.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    11/13/2014 12:58am

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    It irks me how Fight Science uses this XMA/wushu guy to demo everything.
    Time for a Bren Foster montage including Muay Thai fights.

He has three seemingly legit black belts, including one in some crazy Korean Buddhist style.

Fight Science measured his kicks at 2300 lbs.

LOL
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 11/13/2014 1:07am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2014 6:27am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For what it's worth, he's clearly an amazing athlete.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2014 7:36am

Style: Taijiquan, Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Attacking the throat/trachea is one of those techniques best left to antiquity and conditioning rather than application training, for safety/liability reasons...it's very easy to damage/inflame the throat and cause an immediate airway blockage, or worse literally crush the trachea with a strong enough grip.
    You mean that this is an actual example to "too deadly" which stands up to Bullshido scrutiny???

Posted On:
    11/13/2014 9:48am

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bezmond View Post
    You mean that this is an actual example to "too deadly" which stands up to Bullshido scrutiny???
    Yes, protecting your neck is vital in many martial arts...boxing, jujutsu, AND kung fu.

Common sense really. The neck is a SPOF.

Posted On:
    11/13/2014 1:36pm

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IF you thought the first 30s of that Fight Science video was funny wait til you watch this one.

Yes, Bren Foster is in this one too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast