• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast

Posted On:
    3/31/2014 10:37am

hall of famestaff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-cheered.html

Here is a link to a picture of what a 16 year old looks like after receiving a bad beating. You won't see facial injuries like this simulated in this movie.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 2:25pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If more sci-fi writers and sci-fi show creators had enough foresight to be truly visionary they wouldn't need to try create a new form of fighting for use on bipedal ape like creatures. I can understand for some four legged three arm alien but when the main characters are just us it makes no sense to come up with something new. It breaks the fantasy, to truly get immerse in fantasy there has to be some basis of fact and believability to catch on to....no matter how small.

Look at Starship Troopers (the book and not that **** of a movie that should be burned), in boot camp and when fighting they had all this tech but how did they use it? The same way we do now, hell they got taught fucking judo as part of their hand to hand.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 2:37pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by catfishaggie View Post
    If more sci-fi writers and sci-fi show creators had enough foresight to be truly visionary they wouldn't need to try create a new form of fighting for use on bipedal ape like creatures.
    If more sci fi writers had enough foresight to be truly visionary, they wouldn't need a new form of unarmed combat to be the main focus of their work. They'd let a world of new ideas and big, humanity-changing concepts drive the work instead of making Rocky in space.

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 10:20pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Science fiction is cool because it posits the present as the past of some uncertain future and, as another poster pointed out, describes the human experience against that backdrop. Which is why I never gave a **** about the various scientific theories propounded (Asimov being the most boring fuckwit of them) but instead about what happened to humans in all of that, making that womanizing **** Ray Bradbury, with his 8th grade grammar, one of the greatest science fiction writers ever. I didn't object to the awful fighting stance and idiotic "martial art" so much as the lack of any real athletic ability on the part of that marginally hot little actress who has some real acting chops. NO way that chick would ever jump out of a moving train. I found the movie better than the 40% offered by Rottentomatoes. The disturbing undercurrent was the anti-intellectual bent of it, where the smart people are the enemy. But it's post-apocalyptic dystopian metaphor of our class-stratified society was kind of fun and cute. Of course, one you had to mention Dune and now I'm totally depressed that there really isn't much out there like that....
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 10:23pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I mean, really, we are talking teeny-bopper sci-fi, not Arthur C. Clark.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 10:43pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    I mean, really, we are talking teeny-bopper sci-fi, not Arthur C. Clark.
    Or Phillip K Dick......I miss that crazy bastard

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 11:27pm

Style: None

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Star Trek is garbage in general

Seriously though, I'm mixed about this, on one hand creating a fictional martial art can be weird when it looks similar to an actual martial art, on the other hand I do love that Vulcan Pinch.

Posted On:
    4/02/2014 12:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I mean seriously, previous generations give me "Earth Abides" and "Canticle for Liebowitz" and "I am Legend" and these poor kids get Hunger Games. There is no justice. Dick was such a complete badass. Heinlein and Le Guin were okay. Herbert the utter apex. I actually liked Star Trek a lot, at least the first one. I mean hell, what show now would be about a SCIENCE MISSION.

Oh and another thing, Divergent was also anti-athlete. I mean, you can't be a physical badass AND smart, right?
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Posted On:
    4/02/2014 2:25pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental Fist View Post

Seriously though, I'm mixed about this, on one hand creating a fictional martial art can be weird when it looks similar to an actual martial art, on the other hand I do love that Vulcan Pinch.
    I learned Tomo Nagae from that show! And used it at my white belt test back in 1998!
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    4/02/2014 7:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    If more sci fi writers had enough foresight to be truly visionary, they wouldn't need a new form of unarmed combat to be the main focus of their work. They'd let a world of new ideas and big, humanity-changing concepts drive the work instead of making Rocky in space.
    Indeed. Humanity changing concepts like BattleMechs.

The best sci fi writing today isn't even in books as much as much as games, imo.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast