Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2014 12:45pm

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Maybe when they make Asimov's Foundation series into a film or show, or do a non-brain injury version of Dune, I'll change my view on this.
    Didn't Dune have its own made-up martial arts invented by a guy who knew nothing about fighting?

Posted On:
    3/30/2014 12:55pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, hence my "non-brain damaged version" caveat.

Posted via Bullshido Android app.

Posted On:
    3/30/2014 1:01pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't think his expertise was tapped to create any of the fictional martial arts on Star Trek.

And the timer has started on Wabbit posting some TOS clip of Kirk doing a few Judo throws...

Posted On:
    3/30/2014 1:32pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    He doesn't have a writer credit, does he?

If the director told Gene to jump off a cliff from a spinning back thumb flick, he'd have done it. That's what he does.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2014 2:38pm

Style: Jujitsu Aikido Bodycombat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most movies, sci-fi or other-wise, pick Martial Arts based on their "coolness" as opposed to their effectiveness. Original Star Trek was in the 60's so while the fighting was pretty crap it was typical of the era (e.g. start of the James Bond franchise). Fighting was limited to swinging punches, simple blocks, ducks, the odd kick and maybe a stomach throw, back body drop or judo chop.

Unarmed Martial Arts has probably evolved as far as it can, as much due to mass media more than anything else. We now have access to numerous styles from all over the world. The result is people cross-training in the best techniques from multiple arts. The only way I could see technology changing this would be virtual reality (so we can see if those eye gouges and groin strikes are as effective as some claim).

Weapon though have evolved due to changes in technology. Better and better suits of armour leading to big swords, then firearms, leading to breast plates and rapiers, etc. Perhaps if some sort of armoured suit was developed that negated impact (meaning only joint locks and chokes were effective) striking arts would die away - much like the personal force fields in Dune meant only hand to hand combat worked. Apart from that we are talking bionics and mutant powers.

A couple of interesting movie idea's I did like the was gun kata from Equilibrium. Also styles that people with superpowers would use (as per The Avengers, etc). Star Wars also introduced some good idea's for fighting styles based on force powers and light sabres (although if you check utube for Ryan vs Dorkman 1 and 2 they did even better). The Tomorrow People introduced teleporting combat (though Nightcrawler did it first in the X Men). I also wonder if Superman had learned any real martial arts, perhaps Doomsday wouldn't have killed him...

Posted On:
    3/30/2014 4:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dork Angel View Post
    Most movies, sci-fi or other-wise, pick Martial Arts based on their "coolness" as opposed to their effectiveness.
    Hence, the 1980's media involved Ninjas whenever and wherever someone was supposed to be an unbeatable fighter.

Culminating in this immortal classic of television:

Original Star Trek was in the 60's so while the fighting was pretty crap it was typical of the era (e.g. start of the James Bond franchise). Fighting was limited to swinging punches, simple blocks, ducks, the odd kick and maybe a stomach throw, back body drop or judo chop.
    I kinda think this was the standard of the art of fight choreography on TV at the time. Not the state of the art in "real fighting." I'm hoping that what you really mean.

A couple of interesting movie idea's I did like the was gun kata from Equilibrium. ... I also wonder if Superman had learned any real martial arts, perhaps Doomsday wouldn't have killed him...
    OK -- I hated Gun Kata. Hated it. YMMV, but I thought it was a dumb idea. C'est le vie.

And you've put your finger on the problem I had with Man of Steel. There was no way Kal-El was going to stand toe-to-toe with equally powered Kryptonians trained in combat from birth.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    3/30/2014 5:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    Didn't Dune have its own made-up martial arts invented by a guy who knew nothing about fighting?
    The Fremen practiced a form of "kempo" they inherited from their ancestors, the Zensunni Wanderers, whose religion was a combination of Zen Buddhism and Sunni Islam.

Technique-wise, Fremen Kempo would be a mashup of present-day Asian and Middle Eastern martial arts practiced for another 20,000 years.

The short range chrysknife fighting has pretty obvious tie-ins to a couple historical (e.g. Sikh kirpan) and modern arts.

Here it is. Can anybody name the technique Mua'dib uses to mount and kill Feyd?

Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    Oh, and while Star Trek's Anbo-Jitsu is quite the head-scratcher
    What is there not to like about stickfighting while blindfolded.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 3/30/2014 5:27pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2014 5:41pm

Style: Jujitsu Aikido Bodycombat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hence, the 1980's media involved Ninjas whenever and wherever someone was supposed to be an unbeatable fighter.
    When only one person was a ninja they was unstoppable, but now so many are trying it...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...nja%20Strength

I kinda think this was the standard of the art of fight choreography on TV at the time. Not the state of the art in "real fighting." I'm hoping that what you really mean.
    No, it was just some people mentioned Star Trek for it's crap fighting. I just wanted to comment that most of the stuff at that time had crap fighting. The fighting was probably an extension of theatre fighting. It wasn't til Hong Kong came and showed us how it could be done the west started to go a little deeper into what was possible.

OK -- I hated Gun Kata. Hated it. YMMV, but I thought it was a dumb idea. C'est le vie.
    I thought it made more sense than some supposedly "scientific" methods, but like you say, c'est la vie. :)

And you've put your finger on the problem I had with Man of Steel. There was no way Kal-El was going to stand toe-to-toe with equally powered Kryptonians trained in combat from birth.
    Perhaps Kryptonian soldiers spent all their time doing weapon drills and just got some bloke in to teach some "self defence" skills... ;)

Posted On:
    3/30/2014 7:10pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post

What is there not to like about stickfighting while blindfolded.
    The bruises and broken bones.

And that's just from me tripping over my own feet!

Posted On:
    3/30/2014 10:28pm

hall of famestaff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did see the movie, and in one scene the female protagonist got beat unconcious and woke up with one bruise artistically placed on her face. In the book she was much more damaged. Another unrealistic point is that the trainees were punching each other with bare fists and no mouthguards, and people were not breaking their hands or losing most of their teeth. I couldn't figure out who taught them their fighting stance and basic arm position. Maybe those Kensi folks.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast