Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Style
    Muay Thai
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Duke Roufus and a kickboxers death

http://www.combatdb.com/negligence-in-the-ring/

link here with relevant details and a chilling video.

A whoooooooole lot of **** is coming out right now about Duke Roufus and how he runs his gym, a lot of it being pushed by Rose Namajunas and Pat Barry. a lot of people are coming down on the gym for its culture and how roufus and the head coaches treat people.

I personaly found that vid hard to watch knowing how it was going to end. the cornerman should be ashamed of himself and id love to see him done for criminal negligence, along with the ref and doc, for letting that fight get into the third round. the first 2 rounds i could forgive but... that 3rd one should NEVER have happened.

discussion?

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I listened to Karyn Bryant's MMAHEAT with Rose Namajunas and L-Dog (?), with the ocasional Pat Barry intervention.

To sum it up:

- Duke Roufus doesn't give a frak about the students unless the students are winners (I understood he meant champions) or have great talent. L-Dog stated that if he didn't see you full of bruises he would snicker that you are not training enough. It seems verbal abuse is very common, and over the top, which Pat Barry confirmed and even expanded that it was not relegated to the mat, but it also happened in the locker room.

- Hard Sparring to the point that a trainer would let an injured (read concussed, dizzy, eating way too many punches... etc) fighter keep going, and ask the partner to go for the kill. This was a Pat Barry personal story, where he stopped sparring with a partner because the other guy was out of it, despite the trainer asking for the kill.

- They promised Namajunas many fights, to the point of starting training camps, but the fight would be cancelled in the last moment. They didn't give a frak about Rose getting fights (and she considers they lied to her many times), only that she'd be early in the gym training to attract more female customers.

- Roufus promotes fights, and L-Dog, after falling out with Roufus, had fighters he wanted to participate. Roufus would not let him participate on his fights because he "disrespected" him. Another time L-Dog was offered fights for his students, but they were cancelled out of spite a couple weeks before the event.

And so on, and so forth... This is what I remember most vividly.

Style
    BJJ blue, judo ikkyu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The ref seemed negligent starting somewhere in the second round. Everybody involved seems negligent starting in the third round. Everyone is completely negligent as of the fighter collapsing and not getting proper medical attention.

It blows my mind that the commission is not investigating. Is there no one in any state or county agency that wants to step up?

The only positive side to this is that we're finally hearing about the inappropriate atmosphere at Roufusport. I'd like to hear more from people who have had or coached ring fights about what the corner should have been doing and when.

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apparently the dead fighter had an 8lb weight cut, and the promotion was doing same day weigh-ins. I wonder if that had an effect on the outcome.

Style
    lol yet again more Judo !
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am speechless ... give me a little while and I am sure I will get over my shock and awe at this situation. So many people fucking up so badly ... the details are mind bogglingly scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    BJJ blue, judo ikkyu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apparently the dead fighter had an 8lb weight cut, and the promotion was doing same day weigh-ins. I wonder if that had an effect on the outcome.
    I can understand an 8 pound weight cut. I can understand same-day weigh-ins. I can't understand an 8-pound weight cut for a first-time fighter doing same-day weigh-ins for a fight that was in, what, the 135 pound division? Am I wrong or is that a bit much?
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Style
    ninpo nusubito, arnis
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stupid doctor makes me want to kill him. No oxygen needed? Roll him out? Where did they get such a fuckwit?

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    I can understand an 8 pound weight cut. I can understand same-day weigh-ins. I can't understand an 8-pound weight cut for a first-time fighter doing same-day weigh-ins for a fight that was in, what, the 135 pound division? Am I wrong or is that a bit much?
    That was my thought. 8lbs of water weight is a lot for a guy that's already that lean. He was probably incredibly dehydrated going into the fight, which would explain why he looked so wobbly from round 2 onwards.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Almost certainly. I'm way bigger and after cutting 10lbs in a day I felt like a stumbling drunk.

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vile. That doctor should lose his license.

At 7:02, does the other fighter give a "are you sure this is OK" look to the ref?
    "Your body must be like a stone, your mind... like a meatloaf."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last