11/18/2014 2:11am, #1
Duke Roufus and a kickboxers death
link here with relevant details and a chilling video.
A whoooooooole lot of **** is coming out right now about Duke Roufus and how he runs his gym, a lot of it being pushed by Rose Namajunas and Pat Barry. a lot of people are coming down on the gym for its culture and how roufus and the head coaches treat people.
I personaly found that vid hard to watch knowing how it was going to end. the cornerman should be ashamed of himself and id love to see him done for criminal negligence, along with the ref and doc, for letting that fight get into the third round. the first 2 rounds i could forgive but... that 3rd one should NEVER have happened.
11/18/2014 7:47am, #2
- Join Date
- Aug 2012
- Madrid, Spain
I listened to Karyn Bryant's MMAHEAT with Rose Namajunas and L-Dog (?), with the ocasional Pat Barry intervention.
To sum it up:
- Duke Roufus doesn't give a frak about the students unless the students are winners (I understood he meant champions) or have great talent. L-Dog stated that if he didn't see you full of bruises he would snicker that you are not training enough. It seems verbal abuse is very common, and over the top, which Pat Barry confirmed and even expanded that it was not relegated to the mat, but it also happened in the locker room.
- Hard Sparring to the point that a trainer would let an injured (read concussed, dizzy, eating way too many punches... etc) fighter keep going, and ask the partner to go for the kill. This was a Pat Barry personal story, where he stopped sparring with a partner because the other guy was out of it, despite the trainer asking for the kill.
- They promised Namajunas many fights, to the point of starting training camps, but the fight would be cancelled in the last moment. They didn't give a frak about Rose getting fights (and she considers they lied to her many times), only that she'd be early in the gym training to attract more female customers.
- Roufus promotes fights, and L-Dog, after falling out with Roufus, had fighters he wanted to participate. Roufus would not let him participate on his fights because he "disrespected" him. Another time L-Dog was offered fights for his students, but they were cancelled out of spite a couple weeks before the event.
And so on, and so forth... This is what I remember most vividly.
11/18/2014 8:22am, #3
The ref seemed negligent starting somewhere in the second round. Everybody involved seems negligent starting in the third round. Everyone is completely negligent as of the fighter collapsing and not getting proper medical attention.
It blows my mind that the commission is not investigating. Is there no one in any state or county agency that wants to step up?
The only positive side to this is that we're finally hearing about the inappropriate atmosphere at Roufusport. I'd like to hear more from people who have had or coached ring fights about what the corner should have been doing and when.
11/18/2014 8:56am, #4
Apparently the dead fighter had an 8lb weight cut, and the promotion was doing same day weigh-ins. I wonder if that had an effect on the outcome.
11/18/2014 9:29am, #5
- Join Date
- Jun 2005
- Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
- lol yet again more Judo !
I am speechless ... give me a little while and I am sure I will get over my shock and awe at this situation. So many people fucking up so badly ... the details are mind bogglingly scary.
11/18/2014 9:44am, #6What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates
11/18/2014 11:18am, #7
- Join Date
- Aug 2009
- ninpo nusubito, arnis
Stupid doctor makes me want to kill him. No oxygen needed? Roll him out? Where did they get such a fuckwit?
11/18/2014 12:35pm, #8
11/18/2014 1:14pm, #9
- Join Date
- Nov 2012
- San Diego
- street paddleboarding
11/18/2014 2:52pm, #10