Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/28/2014 8:45am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!

What is the worst martial art?

I just posted this video (With a title designed to bring in views), and it got me thinking about the topic. I'm certain this was a big point of debate in the early days of Bullshido, but now I think it's time to decide once and for all what the worst martial art actually is. Bullshido has been around for what, twelve years? It's about time we settle this question.

Now, when I say worst, I don't just mean worst for fighting. I think a lot of styles will probably teach you equally as little about combat, so it would be hard to determine how bad they are on that merit alone. After all, could you really say a ***** Taekwondo guy is any worse than a ***** Shotokan guy? No, I would have to think the worst martial art is not only a system that churns out bad fighters, but also bad people. You not only get zero benefit from the training in any way, shape, or form, but also come out of the workouts WORSE in some respect than when you went in.

With that stated, here are my thoughts on the subject:

- In my book, Taekwondo, Wushu, and Capoeira are out of the running. Feel free to nominate them yourselves, but I just think they have too much to offer. Done right, you at least look COOL executing flying flips and kicks, and all that exercise is intrinsically beneficial.

- Yellow Bamboo felt like a strong candidate at first, but when I thought about it I began to feel it was a bit too fringe for a fair nomination. Throwing it into the mix would be like entering a hunk of roadkill into the "World's Ugliest Dog" competition. If included in the running, it would be too obvious of a ringer. The vast majority of other styles, even the ***** ones, are at least based on the sound principle that you have to touch another person to physically harm him. It would be an automatic win if we actually let it in:

- Aikido is up there. A lot of practitioners take up the style because they want to exude an aura of badassery under a veneer of civility. It looks a little bit cool, though, so I can't in good conscience say it's the worst. Plus, the magic pants they wear allow you to train with your cock out. The only other style you can do that in is wrestling.

- With Ninjutsu, you're at least left with some good larping equipment after you quit. So it's out.

- I've narrowed my own personal choices down to three: Wing Chun, Pressure Point Fighting, and Krav Maga. I can't come to a solid conclusion which is the single worst style right now, but here are my arguments for why these three are the crappiest disciplines in all of martial arts:

Wing Chun

1. It's for pussies.

2. Students take up the style to pretend they're Bruce Lee or Ip Man.

3. It doesn't even look cool.

4. Practitioners are probably the smuggest cocksheaths in the martial arts community, and have been for a LONG time. Remco Pardoel even stated he signed up for UFC 2 to stop all the Wing Chun and Pencak Silat guys in Europe from bragging about how they're the best fighters in the world.

Pressure Point Fighting

1. Like Yellow Bamboo, it's not based on any version of reality known to modern science.

2. Unlike Yellow Bamboo, it seems to have had a considerable impact on the martial arts community over the years. After UFC 1, for instance, Black Belt magazine actually consulted George Dillman in regards to how one could defend himself against a Gracie Tackle.

3. Around UFC 15, Big John McCarthy drafted a new set of rules for the promotion in order to appease the activists and politicians who were aggressively trying to abolish the sport from television. The new list of fouls included several fluff rules in order to make the regulations seem stricter than they really were. One of these new stipulations was "No pressure point attacks." Although this unenforceable, arbitrary foul was not included in the modern Unified Rules of MMA, TO THIS DAY Dillman followers are still giving this as the reason for why they don't compete in MMA.

4. Assuming there exists a plane of existence where all of Dillman's claims are actually true, one can apparently defeat any pressure point assault by simply raising one big toe and planting the other.

Just to add, a non-Dillman pressure point stylist did fight in UFC 7. Funnily enough, his opponent was... Remco Pardoel:

Krav Maga/RBSD

1. Like Wing Chun pussies, Kravists are smugly adamant that they're the baddest mofos on the planet.

2. Practitioners worry about fighting multiple opponents wielding shotguns when they can't even take on one opponent without bursting into tears after eating a hit.

3. I sparred a Kravist with a bowel condition once, and he repeatedly soiled himself on my coach's mats while I was putting the lay on him.

So what are your thoughts? Any arts you feel should be nominated? Any arts I gave a pass to that you feel I shouldn't have? If we narrow it down enough, we could get a final poll going on to settle this issue once and for all.
    Last edited by Holy Moment; 10/28/2014 8:54am at .

Posted On:
    10/28/2014 9:20am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would put aikido at the top of the list.

- astoundingly useless. It's the neutron star of martial arts, sucking the potential of viable martial skill out of its practitioners into its inescapable core.
    - and yet, its practitioners exude unbelievable smugness about their prowess, in this passive-aggressive, "I'm so enlightened" manner.

Krav Maga is a close second (and I'll say, KM practiced outside of Israel, since they seem to be two different beasts)
    - came to that fork in the road, where one way said "effective martial art" but instead took the one that said "too deadly to spar."
    - "did you hear when I said the IDF uses Krav? Because they do. They also use Krav. Furthermore, Krav. Likewise, IDF."

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/28/2014 9:50am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post

- astoundingly useless. It's the neutron star of martial arts, sucking the potential of viable martial skill out of its practitioners into its inescapable core.
    - and yet, its practitioners exude unbelievable smugness about their prowess, in this passive-aggressive, "I'm so enlightened" manner.
    Aikido isn't used in MMA because:
    1. MMA is 1-on-1 fighting
    2. TRAD Aikido practitioners do not "compete"

.................................................. .........................

Aikido is based on small joint manipulation and nerve strikes and manipulations both illegal in any form in MMA, It rules out a lot of martial arts because you fight how you train imagine some one trained in Kenpo gets into the moment and strikes an opponent in the artery in there neck, or a Catch can wrestler getting in the moment and applying a figure four choke instead of a guillotine slightly too much pressure and the neck will go POP 

I wish these MMA bullshitters would tell the truth. Because wrist locks and finger maniupulations are prohibited in mma matches. As for the comment of not being able to catch and incoming punch, you sir are sadly mistaken I personally can do it and so can many others

1.Aikido is not ONLY the martial art, is philosophy also. And you know what one of the greatest aikido masters said "The greatest fighter is the one, who can avoid fight in the first place".
    2.Aikido got no punches and is not an attack martial art, it's solely for defensive purposes.
    3.Aikido masters do not practice Aikido to figth, they practice is for self-defense, and it's their way of life.
    4.I saw and had fights on street, with some guys who trained all kind of "punch,hit,kick" martial arts, and believe me, Aikido is useful in that kind of situations.

Simple way-of-work of aikido -> use enemy's force against him, staying in complete balance, while destroying enemy's balance.

If you DID NOT, saw a real life Aikido techniques applied, do not comment on if it worked or not. I saw police officers attacked by fighters, who were much bigger, trying to knock them out - well guess what, flying high, falling low, and wrist-lock at the end... Well, it works, it works as hell.

Last thing, it's a difference betwen cage fight, and real life fight, and I still think, real life fight is what matthers :))

BJJ/MMA is for a gentleman's one on one fight without fouls or weapons. Aikido is designed to help you get out of the way of an idiot or multiple idiots (who may have weapons) attacking you. In real life it usually doesn't pay to mix it up on the street even if you can submit your opponent or knock them out because you will end up arrested and or sued in court. Aikido and BJJ/MMA are different arts. Each has pros and cons. For self defense I would not rely on solely aikido or BJJ/MMA. You need to know many different arts including weapon arts..
    Aikido is not even allowed in the UFC, since it's mostly about small joint manipulation, which is against the rules.

Judo - throws
    Jiu Jitsu - large joint manipulation
    Aikido - small joint manipulation
    ........................................... ...... ..........................
    Children please...MMA is a SPORT!! You people have little to no understanding of true martial art spirit, dedication, sensitivity and humility. You think because people don't 'compete' that they are worthless. You think you can train for five years and know anything. MMA = ego and arrogance. See you on the street with your fighting games and rules. Peace
    ............................................ ..... ...........................
    Aikido is not used in cage fighting because Aikidoka do not cage fight. A fight with an Aikidoka is rare, quick, and boring. You punch. I throw, lock, and pin you. We sit there till you stop struggling. No blood. No fighting. Boring TV.

Source of my knowledge: Actually training in Aikido.
    ............................................ ..... ...........................

Obviously Bas Rutten has never been on the mat with an aikido practitioner, and just so all of you know, aikido comes from real battlefield combat, and unlike BJJ, you don't have time to tap, and if you don't know ukemi you are going to get broken bones or dislocations. Regardless, aikido is not meant for sport or one vs one combat for extended periods of time. It's for take a guy down that's rushing you with sword and immediately being ready for whoever is coming at you next.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2014 9:58am

Style: Shoo Sheetzoo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure if any of the Thomas Daw-arts even qualify, since no one actually seems to be practicing them, but that would likely knock most other options out of the park. Say what you will about Aikido or Krav or what have you, statistically speaking there are probably a few people on the planet who practice those styles, know how to fight, and are cool people in general. Snake Fist Karate, or whatever he calls it, has precisely *one* person on the planet practicing it (and even that is being generous), and he's just about the most petty, mean-spirited, dick-tucking coward I've ever seen.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2014 10:24am

Style: Jujitsu Aikido Bodycombat

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think Krav deserves to be worst. From what I've seen of it, it's moves remind me of traditional Ju-Jitsu (ie. block - counter-strike - throw - finish) without the massive variation of moves that can creep into Trad JJ (teaching someone to groin kick from 15 different attacks is better than 15 different moves from one attack IMO). They seem to do a reasonable amount of conditioning, pad-work and some sparring which can't be all bad. They also seem to do a lot of pressure style training too which should help with dealing with adrenaline dump, etc... For those reasons I would put them at the higher end of the "mainly compliant partner" training styles.

Posted On:
    10/28/2014 10:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    RBSD are pretty bad, but they often lack the mythical bullshit, and fot r me the worste of the worst has to include some sort of Ki Combat.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    10/28/2014 11:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post

Krav Maga is a close second (and I'll say, KM practiced outside of Israel, since they seem to be two different beasts)
    - came to that fork in the road, where one way said "effective martial art" but instead took the one that said "too deadly to spar."
    - "did you hear when I said the IDF uses Krav? Because they do. They also use Krav. Furthermore, Krav. Likewise, IDF."
    Aikido does provide weaboos with a good dose of (often) psueudo-Japanese culture, though. Plus, it is all about peace...so there is some room for personal improvement there, being a budo and all that.

However, your observations regarding smugness, passive-aggressivity, etc. are right on. I wouldn't say it's true of all, though. I'd put TKD and aikido in the same region of the martial arts cloud-space...potential for good sometimes realized, but also potential for the worse.

Krav(p) Magoo may well have some redeeming values, especially in movie fight choreography. We all need to be entertained for sure. Much of not the majority of it is so commercialized, which is a huge strike against it in my book. I think that self confidence is wonderful, but it needs to be realistic. And teaching knife disarms to little kids is not very realistic.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    10/28/2014 11:13am

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that the pressure-point/Dillman stuff is the worst. The technique isn't useful, although against a passive non resisting uke some of the **** they do hurts a lot. It's not realistic to hit 1-3 quarter sized spots on the human body in a row while adrenalized and in the midst of a fight.

It's pretty much hucksterism in my book, and I've got direct experience dealing with one of the leading proponents, so I saw the BS in action. It requires the active participation and cooperation of the supposed "victims" who succumb to it.

So, pressure point "fighting" get's my vote.

Posted On:
    10/28/2014 11:46am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I think that the pressure-point/Dillman stuff is the worst. The technique isn't useful, although against a passive non resisting uke some of the **** they do hurts a lot. It's not realistic to hit 1-3 quarter sized spots on the human body in a row while adrenalized and in the midst of a fight.

It's pretty much hucksterism in my book, and I've got direct experience dealing with one of the leading proponents, so I saw the BS in action. It requires the active participation and cooperation of the supposed "victims" who succumb to it.

So, pressure point "fighting" get's my vote.
    Chun has the same magic super moves though and can't even fall behind the veneer that it is illegal in most sporting contests.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc-Fgc7nRdE

They have to believe that chunners shun the limelight so much that nobody has ever fought professionally. While making you tube vids and selling the **** out of their system.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RVUYN0_syOU

Or they can't use the chun techniques because the dynamics of MMA makes them unable to use them. Even though the chun works better. But you can't use..........

No I really don't get it. Because MMA don't chi sau?
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 10/28/2014 11:53am at .
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    10/28/2014 11:55am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Chun has the same magic super moves though and can't even fall behind the veneer that it is illegal in most sporting contests.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc-Fgc7nRdE

They have to believe that chunners shun the limelight so much that nobody has ever fought professionally. While making you tube vids and selling the **** out of their system.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RVUYN0_syOU

Or they can't use the chun techniques because the dynamics of MMA makes them unable to use them. Even though the chun works better. But you can't use..........

No I really don't get it. Because MMA don't chi sau?
    I don't have personal experience with the 'Chun, only the PP/Dillman type stuff.

I think that if the intent is to defraud, then they could be equally bad. Drinking the Kool-Aide and believing it is one thing, knowing you are selling a "bad" product with intent is yet another.
Page 1 of 30 1 234511 ... LastLast