• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2014 6:51pm

Style: mt/bjj

Hell yeah! Hell no!

So I'm grappling a Colossal Judo black belt in a BJJ tournament.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	970874_496656917074463_610614167_n.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	15964 I'm the one on the left. He's the one on the right.

I'm 235 lbs and he is 416 lbs. Blue belt division in BJJ, It was probably the most challenging matches I'v ever had! the whole fight was standing... he was suuper slow but his grips were like bear traps.

It felt like this Name:  Super_Mario_64_DS-Graphics_comparison.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  13.7 KB

What to do against a powerful yet slow opponent with no cardio or ground game. With a takedown defense skill level of 99?

I attempted to pull guard at last minute but he just fell on me and won (lol)

I'm going to see this guy again and this time I will win....

Posted On:
    3/13/2014 7:37pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a similar experience in my last tournament, albeit that we were both in the 195lb division so we were the same size. Same problem though, excellent takedown defence. At one point I attempted to pull guard, he took points, I setup for a sweep but he just stood back up. Continue standup stalemate until time ran out.

My take from it was I should've abandoned the judo throws (which weren't working) and just shot a double. Not sure if that is the right strategy for someone significantly larger, but perhaps a low single? I've pulled off low singles against a 300lb guy in MMA sparring, just wish it had of occurred to me at the time.
    Last edited by cualltaigh; 3/13/2014 8:00pm at .
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Posted On:
    3/14/2014 10:39am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I shoot doubles on big guys and then try to walk them around going for doubles or singles until I get something.

Step outs work pretty well also.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/14/2014 10:52am

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he's a good judo black belt, then shooting doubles and singles will only get you thrown faster, because he will have already established grips. This is a scenario that is very near-and-dear to sambo players.

First and foremost, you need to intercept his grips before they reach you, particularly his lapel grip. This is not something that I have ever seen practiced in BJJ, so you'll have to step outside your game a bit and meet him halfway to his. You also need to constantly stay in motion, circling from side-to-side, and constantly attack with low-risk footsweeps. If you are moving him, then he will not be able to counter those footsweeps.

This is exactly what I've been training for the last month, in preparation for a tournament that I'm doing in Moscow next weekend.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    3/14/2014 11:48am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stay on the outside, don't let him get grips (so improve your hand/grip fighting), cut an angle with good footwork, and shoot a low single or ankle pick. Big ole fatties like that you can't go toe-to-toe with, it becomes a war of attrition.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    3/14/2014 12:48pm

staff
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Make him move. make him chase, Make him miss. He will get tired.

Harass, harangue, and attack continuously. Footwork and position will be key, because 99.87% of your attacks will be stuffed or otherwise fail, but the goal is to weaken him until he can't fight back anymore.

As stated: Footwork, gripfight, attack his ankles.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2014 6:53pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exactly what the last several posters said for takedowns. Movement, low singles, picks, etc. Got to hit him at angle, he'll be too stout head-on. Intercept his grips, and misdirect him.

On the ground, I wouldn't pull guard and expect to hold it against a guy that big who has a good base. He'll just get his posture and stand up, even if he can't pass. Try to take his back. He's a judoka, so he might be more prone to giving up a turtle, and you've got to capitalize on that.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/14/2014 9:29pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All of the above is super solid advice, but I purposefully avoided naming specific takedowns because the concept is what is important... Movement and grips. If he doesn't have grips and is off-balance, the throw or takedown that you use is somewhat at your discretion. Almost purely stylistic, minus a few considerations due to the size difference.

That said, however... low singles, ankle picks, knee taps. Low-risk/high-reward techniques that give you the option to engage and disengage during the initial few moments on the ground. I use singles against big guys sometimes, but never the head-inside or -outside versions, because you are begging to get uchi-mata'ed a foot through the mat, or even worse with a makikomi (notorious favorite throw for fatties). Go for a treetopper instead.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2014 12:41am

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Big Maclol, any Judo clubs nearby? Might be worth spending some time in a Judo dojo! Sure would help with sluggos like this guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2014 12:04pm

Style: mt/bjj

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    AWESOME advice from everyone, thanks! gave you all the plus rep

He didn't come to the tournament like I thought he would, still won my division though. (just 1 match)