Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2014 10:59pm

Style: Muay-Thai, Hapkido, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Being MUCH taller than Opponent

I'm 6'5 and about ~185 lbs and ~10% bodyfat. (Haven't got any weird body proportions so my wingspan=height) I'm currently not training at a real gym but there's a general MMA club with some legit guys but mostly people who haven't done anything before.
    I want to try competing in amateur MMA or Kickboxing after I get out of college so I'm trying to make sure I've got a good physical foundation in the 2 years I have left.

Thing bothering me is that most successful guys I see competing in the weight classes that I'd be able to make are around 5'10-6'2. Now that gives me a significant reach advantage but stockier guys seem to have a much easier time with grappling and have much more solid hooks/uppercuts. For example, I have a very hard time with guys muscling out of any sort of armlocks I do. Triangles and RNC are a huge majority of the submissions I land.

I'm wondering what the general opinion is on being much taller in MMA. Do the pros outweigh the cons? Or is it better to pack on some mass to compete at a higher weight to lessen the degree of the pros/cons?

TL;DR: Being ~5" taller than rest of prospective weight class, good or bad? Try and pack on 20-30lbs to jump up classes, or stay and use reach advantage?

Thanks in advance!

Posted On:
    3/30/2014 1:40am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would stay tall if you can. You will get hit less.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Yours truly

Posted On:
    3/30/2014 11:13am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tall = generally good.
    You have pros and cons just like anything else, but it is called a height and reach advantage for a reason.
    So stop worrying about it. You make do with the best you have, but what you have is actually better than being shorter.

You do realize you also have advantages on the ground. For example, you have much better leverage cranking subs.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Posted On:
    3/30/2014 12:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are comfortable at that weight stay and and learn how to capitalize on your advantages.

Posted On:
    3/31/2014 12:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the way it is mma. You don't actually have to armlock anybody. Just sit on top and punch them.

If you are underneath as they muscle out. Get up. Knock them back to the ground sit on top and punch them.

I know Ronda does them. But I don't think we have ever had a guy win by armlock.

Posted On:
    3/31/2014 5:26am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are heaps of successful tall guy moves/styles. In fact most of the really good guys are lanky fucks for their weight classes. The reason you don't see many people 6'5 people at Welterweight is because there really are not that many of you around.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    3/31/2014 8:09am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe I'm misinterpreting your post, but it sounds like you haven't been training that long.
    If people are muscling out of your arm bars, it could be that you just need more practice doing arm bars.

Posted On:
    3/31/2014 10:11am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tall (and the accompanying reach advantage) is good. We have an expression in my club, "range tax", which is what the shorter limbed fighter pays as he tries to close on a taller opponent.

Had one guy train with me, who was 6'11". He had a lot of success jabbing and then skipping back, so you were constantly chasing him, and constantly coming into his range before you could do anything to affect him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2014 12:25pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I (6'3")get yelled at by my tall (6'5") coach to stay tall during Judo. I find having a coach that knows how a person of your particular body type can take advantage of that body type is very helpful. I usually get arm triangles or rear naked chokes (mostly due to my arm bars being crap thanks to the Judo rules of competition nixing them for my belt level).

Jon Jones is tall as **** and is great at using his distance to his advantage.

Semmy Schilt built his K1 career on being tall as **** and jabbing/liver kicking his opponents into giving up.

Stefan Struve is a great example of a tall guy who sucks at using his length to control distance and pays for it.
    Last edited by Krijgsman; 3/31/2014 12:47pm at .

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 12:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Maybe I'm misinterpreting your post, but it sounds like you haven't been training that long.
    If people are muscling out of your arm bars, it could be that you just need more practice doing arm bars.
    I train with a short guy the danimal. And there is almost nobody who can arm bar him. Limbs are too short and he is too strong.

It is definatley a thing.

Sweaty doesn't help.