232831 Bullies, 3654 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 41 to 50 of 64
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. mike321 is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,511

    Posted On:
    4/01/2014 10:19pm


     Style: kenpo, Wrestling

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Relying a a ruleset to win what is suppose to be a fight is ***** period. It's no different than pulling a Jake Sheilds type lay and pray maneuver.

    I have boxed but thanks for your permission.
    Oh you have boxed! I have not boxed. Therefore my argument is invalid. I understand now. I will never respect a boxer that gets up from a knockdown ever again. I also think we need to get doctors away from the ring. We also need to stop working on cuts between rounds. For that matter fights don't have rounds, or gloves, or mouth guards. What is going to happen to the youth of the USA with weakening of our moral fiber?!?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. mike321 is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,511

    Posted On:
    4/01/2014 10:39pm


     Style: kenpo, Wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On a more serious note, I always wandered how sports avoid OSHA regulations. Every other business has an obligation in this country to take responsibility for worker safety. Even if you argue that people have a right to engage in hazardous activity, once you make it a business then you re in the same situation as every other business and subject to regulation.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. hungryjoe is offline
    hungryjoe's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,410

    Posted On:
    4/01/2014 10:39pm

    supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Yes I have practiced full contact and do know what it fells like to get punched repeatedly. It fucking hurts and can cause serious problems, but that is a risk that people accept before they take part in that sport. Again it's ultimate FIGHTING, not ultimate sparring. If you pussify MMA too much you will take away the true nature of that sport. You are basically arguing the same argument as ninjas, oh those head punches are just too dangerous.
    Emphasis is mine.
  4. Bneterasedmynam is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    2,245

    Posted On:
    4/01/2014 10:55pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    Emphasis is mine.
    I never said I was anything but a recreational martial artist, doesn't make the punches any less real when they hit. I have been clobbered many times both in and out of training. Have you done pro fights?? If so do you believe there needs to be a rule change??
  5. Bneterasedmynam is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    2,245

    Posted On:
    4/01/2014 10:59pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    Oh you have boxed! I have not boxed. Therefore my argument is invalid. I understand now. I will never respect a boxer that gets up from a knockdown ever again. I also think we need to get doctors away from the ring. We also need to stop working on cuts between rounds. For that matter fights don't have rounds, or gloves, or mouth guards. What is going to happen to the youth of the USA with weakening of our moral fiber?!?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What?? When did I say your argument was invalid?? I was responding to YOUR post. The rest of your post is retarded as I never said there shouldn't be safety in MMA, I just don't think there needs to be a time out for knockdowns or to go overboard on head/glove equipment. It's my personal opinion, if the fighters as a whole say otherwise then fine, but I want to hear them say it first.
  6. Permalost is offline
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,683

    Posted On:
    4/02/2014 11:24am

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    If you pussify MMA too much you will take away the true nature of that sport.
    The true nature of the sport according to you, a casual fan. Myself, another casual fan, would suggest that 2 fighters fighting in top form, trying to win and push each other to the limit but not injure, and exchange a hearty handshake at the end of the day, is the true nature of the sport.

    I'm not exactly sure what you're arguing in favor of though, besides this vague notion of avoiding "pussification". You're gonna have to be more specific. What exactly is pussifying MMA? Studies?
    You are basically arguing the same argument as ninjas, oh those head punches are just too dangerous.
    Straw man.
  7. Bneterasedmynam is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    2,245

    Posted On:
    4/02/2014 11:33am


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    The true nature of the sport according to you, a casual fan. Myself, another casual fan, would suggest that 2 fighters fighting in top form, trying to win and push each other to the limit but not injure, and exchange a hearty handshake at the end of the day, is the true nature of the sport.

    I'm not exactly sure what you're arguing in favor of though, besides this vague notion of avoiding "pussification". You're gonna have to be more specific. What exactly is pussifying MMA? Studies?

    Straw man.
    I see no problem with studies being done if they are neutral and not linked to any agenda. As far as pussification adding a ten count recovery every time someone gets "rocked", yeah that would from this fans point of view ruin any reason I would have to shell out 70 bucks to watch it on PPV. Same thing with headgear, or bigger gloves, I like MMA the way it is, I guess that's my only real point.
  8. AKRhino is offline
    AKRhino's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    552

    Posted On:
    4/02/2014 2:33pm


     Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    You are basically arguing the same argument as ninjas, oh those head punches are just too dangerous.
    No..... No one's doing that... You keep saying you accept the risk, but you're not admitting that you don't actually understand the risk. The risk that has not been studied very well yet. The NFL is a good example of a sport that has turned out to be significantly more dangerous (specifically in terms of Brain injuries) than was believed... or advertised. This has resulted in rule changes. The sport still involved heavy hits, it's still very rough, but there is a new emphasis on 1) avoiding head injuries, and 2) allowing greater time after a concussion or similar injury for an athlete to recover before they are medically cleared to play again. This also affects lower level leagues, including high school and younger age kids. This is a good thing.

    MMA is still relatively young, so there has not been a ton of opportunities to study fighters who have had long, rough careers, but there have been statements made by Forrest Griffin and Chris Leben about the physical toll their careers have taken on them, and none of those comments include long term brain injuries. If these studies can help us make MMA training safer, than it benefits athletes at all levels of competition. It also benefits people like me, who are simply fans that enjoy seeing their favorite athletes hit each other for my amusement. Reducing potential for injury, and potentially increasing the length of an athletes career is a great thing imho.
  9. ermghoti is offline
    ermghoti's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    OW, MY KNEE
    Posts
    2,344

    Posted On:
    4/02/2014 3:11pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    Responding to he macho talk about fighters choosing to take the risk. I assume that means they think all risk is ok. Anyone involved in MMA knows there are risks. Understanding risks and studying long term effects is still a desirable thing to do. Mitigating long term risk is not going to neuter the country. Also, as a fan of the sport I respect the athletes that provide the entertainment; putting effort to understand risk is a good thing as far as I am concerned. This all applies to football also.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My point was: if the risk is unknown or poorly understood, you can't really be said to choose that risk chasing a given reward. Using football as an example references the horrific and unforseen post-career problems that are emerging among NFL players.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
  10. ermghoti is offline
    ermghoti's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    OW, MY KNEE
    Posts
    2,344

    Posted On:
    4/02/2014 3:21pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    My take on the DATA is that it's a big step forward.

    Things have come a long way since the early 1990's, when nobody except nobody gave a flying rat **** about these kinds of statistics. Can you imagine Brazil examining the brains of Vale Tudo fighters?

    The goal is to mitigate injuries, not "pussify" anything....risk mitigation is a noble goal in any form of competition.
    No argument with this.

    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    I don't think the conclusions and recommendations of this study were that extreme.
    I've stated my objection to the methodology. Alex's decapitated.gif notwithstanding, I stand by it.

    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    The "timeout-by-knockdown" rule would prevent a lot of unnecessary MMA TBI due to the exact kind of thing in Alex's animated gif...there is never any fucking need to hammer in the face of someone who can no longer defend themselves. The ref stepped in a second too late..they are not supposed to let that sort of thing happen. It's MMA competition...not gladiator pitfighting to death.
    Can of worms. The heart of MMA is continuous action progressing from range to range. Additionally, you then expose fighters to the same risk as in boxing, where a groggy man will be stood up to get teed off upon. If the danger proves grave, I'd rather see a prohibition against striking-down-from-standing, outside of maybe leg strikes, to allow a striker's counter to open guard (although they generally just stand up guys if they are stalling these days, so maybe not). Follow up a knockdown with a pin/halfguard/backpack/guillotine instead of a hammer fist. Knees and kicks are already disallowed, so it wouldn't be unprecedented.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.